Author Topic: Higher top speed, how do we do it?  (Read 5227 times)

91cavgt

• View Profile
Higher top speed, how do we do it?
« on: May 27, 2013, 02:12:02 AM »
Alright y'all (sorry as I am a Texan), what is a realistic way to improve the top end speed on our Like 200i scoots? 

Personally, I'd like for it to have a top speed of about 70 mph, so that I can cruise at 60 without being at full throttle.  I understand that in theory we can tune the CVT, but realistically, how much will that improve the top speed? 

What about the exhaust?  The exhaust outlet is the same size on our 163cc engine as it is on my brother's 80cc Honda Elite!!  That has to be restricting the flow.  So, what Kymco scoot has a VERY similar engine layout as our Like?  I'd like to get a pipe from a different scoot, then add an oxygen sensor bung to it so I could then use it on our scoot.  Find someone that has the handheld computer to plug into the scoot and add a little fuel to the mix.  That should be good for a few miles per hour but then I might be dealing with hitting the rev limiter. 

So how do we go about getting useable and big improvements in top end speed?
2012 Like 200i  in black

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Higher top speed, how do we do it?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:09:28 AM »
My 2 centimes.
How do you get higher top speed on a LIKE 200i ?
You buy a well cared for used 250cc scooter, preferably with 14" tires before you go blasting around at 70MPH.
You're flying along on a plastic 163cc powered scooter with 12" wheels. It is an urban transport, not a touring scooter.
A fine and fun urban transport with country roads abilities.
Be safe, man. Buy the right tool for the job.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 03:28:19 AM »
 stig you hit the nail on the head,. my thought was go for a GT 300i,and the motor will turn at 6500 rpm. and last for years,.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:50:34 AM »
Just what I'm going to say Stig...   ;)  dedee, my thought was to get a big bike... you can go even faster than 70... 

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »
Well performance racing mufflers are available in Taiwan.

The stocker needs a longer header with a step down at the muffler end.
You might be able to get a 4 valve head for your scoot.

The intake can be tuned to help make more power at your target RPM.

And the Variator can be "massaged" to get a little more out of it. Regearing would be better
but you'd need to have custom gears made somewhere...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:02:27 PM »
I find it funny that some of you say to buy a bigger scoot.  If everyone had that attitude then there would never be as much innovation as there is today.  I prefer to think outside the box.  I have raced cars that people told me should not be raced.  "Buy a real car" is what I kept hearing, but I ignored them, and later passed them on the track in a car that, according to them, should not be racing. 

I am not saying that I will be racing my Like.  I am not saying that I want to take it out on the interstate.  All I'm saying is I want to increase the top speed of it so that it can cruise at it's current top speed without being at full throttle. 

MotoRandy123, thank you for your input.  I think after trying some sliders to gain a couple MPH, hopefully, I'll look into getting an exhaust.  I'm going to go ahead and start looking for an exhaust though and I'll post up here if I find one. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 12:51:52 AM »
Supertrapp makes a universal 1" muffler that can be tuned;
http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=35

FMF has a 1 1/4" universal;
http://www.bikebandit.com/fmf-universal-spark-arrestor-200cc-500cc-1-1-4

These guys are in Taiwan and have some Kymco specific racing mufflers;
http://www.nhrc.com.tw/e-live/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=106304
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 01:42:32 AM »
I find it funny that some of you say to buy a bigger scoot.  If everyone had that attitude then there would never be as much innovation as there is today.  I prefer to think outside the box.  I have raced cars that people told me should not be raced.  "Buy a real car" is what I kept hearing, but I ignored them, and later passed them on the track in a car that, according to them, should not be racing. 

I am not saying that I will be racing my Like.  I am not saying that I want to take it out on the interstate.  All I'm saying is I want to increase the top speed of it so that it can cruise at it's current top speed without being at full throttle. 

MotoRandy123, thank you for your input.  I think after trying some sliders to gain a couple MPH, hopefully, I'll look into getting an exhaust.  I'm going to go ahead and start looking for an exhaust though and I'll post up here if I find one.

Different strokes for different folks man... those are just our opinions... peace...  ;)

Here's a custom pipe that we use... around $100.00 

v8 power pipe from Taiwan... also around $100.00

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:04:34 AM by Vivo »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()