Author Topic: Hot day rides & the LIKE  (Read 950 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Hot day rides & the LIKE
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:48:42 PM »
Does anyone make any alterations to their LIKE for rides on very hot days?
For instance, remove that center cover in front of the valve cover....to improve airflow over the engine?
Just seems like that engine is all buttoned up - but is relying on air to cool it.
What do the folks in Asia do?
Doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to alter the cover so it can be removed without pulling the seat.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
Re: Hot day rides & the LIKE
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 02:24:52 AM »
Good question.  But the GY6 engine is "force air cooled" (as are some 150cc air cooled Vespas, Yamahas etc).  There is a shroud around the cooling fins of the cylinder and the inlet on the right side of the engine "sucks in air" and ducts it to the head.  Its a great and simple solution to ensure that the engine gets the proper air it needs to stay in operating range.  However in a lot of stop and go traffic with prolonged stops etc, could cause some heat issues on days like the ones around here in Philly (90+).  But that is an extreme situation and one of the reasons to use Syth oil after your engine is broken in.  Proper oil changes with a high quality oil is important.  Especially since this version of the GY6 uses a strainer and not an paper/medium oil filter like the Genuine Buddy's. I would not think removing panels would be necessary in this heat.  There are also enough little slots and vents all over the Like.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 03:08:05 AM »
Like kriden said.. good fresh oil... there are two functions of oil.. one is lubrication and the other is heat dissipation...

Another suggestion is to keep your engine clean... no dirt, grease, and obstructions on air passages...

scooter oil cooler anyone?   ;)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:13:42 AM by Vivo »

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »
I often wonder why KYMCO doesn't use a paper filter canister. That would give additional cooling surface plus additional oil capacity. Then again, the GY6 engine is bullet proof. Probably one of the best if not the best air cooled engine created for scooters.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »
Like kriden said.. good fresh oil... there are two functions of oil.. one is lubrication and the other is heat dissipation...

Another suggestion is to keep your engine clean... no dirt, grease, and obstructions on air passages...

scooter oil cooler anyone?   ;)

I saw one of those on a LIKE - figured that is what it was.

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()