Author Topic: Iridium Plugs, yes or no?  (Read 2769 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Iridium Plugs, yes or no?
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:54:43 PM »
Any issues with installing an iridium spark plug (NGK, or other top brand) in the LIKE 200i.
The things last forever. Have them in both my Scion xBs.
Also, a question: do not use plug thread stuff on any plug that has a shiny color to the thread area. These plugs do not require that thread treatment, correct? (copper paste ?)

The Like and the xB.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:48:33 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Joe7911

• View Profile
Re: Iridium Plugs, yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:34:17 AM »
The best thing you can do for your bike is install Iridium plug. You can get them cheap at sparkPlugs.com. I paid around 5.50. for mine, that is over 50% savings from local stores I just order 2 at the time save on freight.
You will notice after 15 to 20 minutes that your bike idles smoother starts immediately. Definitely recommend Iridium.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 02:07:22 AM »
Iridium? Yes!

P.S.  Did you know that the Scion XB is the best vehicle for car audio set-up? Best interior sound distribution?   ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:10:44 AM by Vivo »

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 02:17:42 AM »
NGK CR7HIX Iridium IX Spark Plug- 

Yes!  Worth it for such and easy and cheap "upgrade".

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 02:21:23 AM »
How accessible is the park plug on the Like? I didn't look for it last week when I did the valve clearance check.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 04:03:07 AM »
How accessible is the park plug on the Like? I didn't look for it last week when I did the valve clearance check.

You can get to it by removing the front panel under the seat that "connects" to the rear of the floor panel.  Just below the seat hinge.  If you can remove the seat and the under seat storage piece, that would give you full access to the engine. It is not that hard, take your time, mark/remember where the nuts/screws come from and re-assemble in the reverse order.  1) two nuts (please no pun intended) for the seat at the hinge, then the bolts for the under pan. 

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 04:56:44 AM »
Sure you can, but why? You don't need a spark plug with a 100K life. Scooter engines won't give you that kind of service miles.  Also, Iridium (and Platinum) don't have the conductivity like that of copper. Yes copper will erode sooner and need more frequent changing, but for less than $5 a pop its not going to break the bank. I would rather have better conductivity which will give you a better spark.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 05:26:15 AM »
Sure you can, but why? You don't need a spark plug with a 100K life. Scooter engines won't give you that kind of service miles.  Also, Iridium (and Platinum) don't have the conductivity like that of copper. Yes copper will erode sooner and need more frequent changing, but for less than $5 a pop its not going to break the bank. I would rather have better conductivity which will give you a better spark.

Yes, copper has better conductivity than iridium.. if you just compare both metals.  But as far as Spark Plugs are concerned, it's a different story.  There are the electrode size and voltage factor...  The hardness of iridium allows the tip to be made smaller than copper or platinum requiring less energy or voltage to create a more intense spark resulting to a more complete burn... 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:27:47 AM by Vivo »

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 02:52:45 PM »
From my search:

Copper spark plugs are generally considered to have the best performance of any spark plug type. This is potentially different from what advertising companies suggest, but the other metals are, unfortunately, not as conductive in general as copper is. Platinum and iridium plugs are more likely to overheat, which causes damage to the plug components and can compromise the delivery of the spark to the engine block.

If Iridium or Platinum is superior to copper then why is it that race cars (motorcycles, boats, etc.) all use copper plugs? This industry is all about performance. If the alternative to copper gave them even the tiniest of advantages they would be in use.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
I wondered about this myself especially after reading a lot of positive input from all of you guys. I asked the mechanic at the shop where I purchased my scoot and he advised against the iridium plugs. He told me that he had seen pistons that had become holed due to use of iridium plugs. He said that the concentrated spark of  the tip was too hot for air cooled engines like mine. He thought that since changing plugs on a scooter is so easy anyway, and the price of copper plugs is so cheap that it was not worth the cost nor the danger of piston failure.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 08:28:38 PM »
Well the iridium will likely last the life of the scooter so never need to be replaced
and it does advance the timing a tiny bit so you get better performance. I throw
one in all my vehicles and never worry about it again!
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 12:44:15 AM »
Vivo,

I know little about the interior/sound of the Scion xB (I know that it has 160 watt stereo/cd thing that plays my Mumford & Sons loud and clear!)
I bought it for a lot of reasons (stone reliable) - but honestly - a big one was that it is weird and I never see another one in the Walmart parking lot (these are the size of Vermont) and it is beautifully constructed. Like it so much we sold everything else off and have 2 xBs. (well still trying to unload the VW Jetta - which is why I bought a Kymco - a long story w/happy ending!)

Here is a recent shot at the reservoir (a mile from our house) this past w/e.....when the wife & daughter chased me down after I went missing on the LIKE.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 01:29:52 AM »
Stig...

Nope, not really a popular car... but you can find lots of them in Sound Off or dB Drag competitions.....

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:35:55 AM by Vivo »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 01:52:34 AM »
From my search:

Copper spark plugs are generally considered to have the best performance of any spark plug type. This is potentially different from what advertising companies suggest, but the other metals are, unfortunately, not as conductive in general as copper is. Platinum and iridium plugs are more likely to overheat, which causes damage to the plug components and can compromise the delivery of the spark to the engine block.

If Iridium or Platinum is superior to copper then why is it that race cars (motorcycles, boats, etc.) all use copper plugs? This industry is all about performance. If the alternative to copper gave them even the tiniest of advantages they would be in use.

Yes,  In racing, they use copper... when you have a, say, 900 horsepower engine running at 10,000 rpm you need a spark plug that wont overheat, can dissipate heat faster, and you need a colder plug.... These features are not found in Iridium plugs... Yes Sir, in racing....  We are talking about tiny scooter engines here... few hundred c.c. with one cylinder cruising at 50mph... and I still think Iridium can be of a big benefit...  ;)

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 06:47:38 AM »
You can get to it by removing the front panel under the seat that "connects" to the rear of the floor panel.  Just below the seat hinge.  If you can remove the seat and the under seat storage piece, that would give you full access to the engine. It is not that hard, take your time, mark/remember where the nuts/screws come from and re-assemble in the reverse order.  1) two nuts (please no pun intended) for the seat at the hinge, then the bolts for the under pan.

Thank you!
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()