Author Topic: New Member with a New 'used' 2009 GV  (Read 6794 times)

scooterbaby

• View Profile
New Member with a New 'used' 2009 GV
« on: June 09, 2013, 12:06:22 AM »
Hello,

I'm new to the Kymco Forums! I'm finding a lot of useful information here.  I made a deposit on 2009 GV today.  I will pick her up in a week.  The first thing I noticed was she in bad need of a bath.  The buyer kept her....yeah, I guess it's a 'her' like me:-) in a storage room of the building that he owns and didn't give her the TLC she needs.  She had been sitting for several months with him starting it up every few weeks.  She has 3596 miles on her.  The head rest was stolen so that will be replaced. 

I also noticed that it has the regular seat which was a little high for me when I sat on it, comfortable but my feet weren't totally flat on the ground.  I'm thinking of replacing the seat also.  I also would add a luggage case, skid plates on the front and rear foot areas.  With it sitting for several months, she also needs a oil change since that wasn't done in a while either.

I am looking forward to getting it so I can take care of it - any suggestions, input, or comments would be appreciated!

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: New Member with a New 'used' 2009 GV
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:07:08 AM »
The windshield is sensitive to acid so be SURE that any detergent that you use is neutral pH.
Lemon scented dish detergent for example, will make the UV coating start to peal off.
Best to use no detergent at all, get a windshield polish or other cleaner designed for windshields.
I would be leery of Lemon Pledge polish also.

Welcome to the GV250 owners.  Yours has about the same miles as mine.  No problems to date.
Change the rear gear oil (80w90 wt hypoid oil) also when you change the engine oil (15w40 Shell Rotella T oil)
Check the tire predssures and you should be in good shape.

Because the gas may be old, I would add Techron fuel system cleaner to the next 3 tanks of gas. (or more).
And we always add Sta-Bil gas stabilizer to our fuel.

Scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 02:36:12 AM »
Hello, what do you call he "head rest" that was stolen?  How tall/short are you that you have problems putting the feet down?  There is really no good aftermarket seat that would resolve this, you will need to modify your original seat, which is not so easy.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hello,

I'm new to the Kymco Forums! I'm finding a lot of useful information here.  I made a deposit on 2009 GV today.  I will pick her up in a week.  The first thing I noticed was she in bad need of a bath.  The buyer kept her....yeah, I guess it's a 'her' like me:-) in a storage room of the building that he owns and didn't give her the TLC she needs.  She had been sitting for several months with him starting it up every few weeks.  She has 3596 miles on her.  The head rest was stolen so that will be replaced. 

I also noticed that it has the regular seat which was a little high for me when I sat on it, comfortable but my feet weren't totally flat on the ground.  I'm thinking of replacing the seat also.  I also would add a luggage case, skid plates on the front and rear foot areas.  With it sitting for several months, she also needs a oil change since that wasn't done in a while either.

I am looking forward to getting it so I can take care of it - any suggestions, input, or comments would be appreciated!

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:42:56 AM »

Because the gas may be old, I would add Techron fuel system cleaner to the next 3 tanks of gas. (or more). And we always add Sta-Bil gas stabilizer to our fuel.

MaryK,  Fuel system cleaners on a regular basis are a good thing and work well to ceep carburetor and valves clean, if they are of a higher grade.  "Stabil" type fuel stabilizers are good when you store for a longer time.  Are you suggesting Stabil every tank? 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:12:35 AM by windwheeler »

scooterbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 02:49:03 AM »
Hi - Thanks for the suggestions regarding the oil, tires, etc. - I made a typo...meant to the say the 'back passenger rest' - this was what was stolen and what I plan on getting for my GV.

I'm 5'4 and sitting on the GV today, I didn't state that I had problems, I mentioned that my feet were not flat on the ground.  As already mentioned, I was comfortable but still seemed a little high.  Seat was kinda hard so I will have to decide what to do.  Based on what I've read in the other threads/posts, with the touring seat I would be even higher so I may consider getting a seat cushon.

I'll make it work regardless.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
A few general Tips for newcomers / new riders for riding
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
I'm 5'4 and sitting on the GV today, I didn't state that I had problems, I mentioned that my feet were not flat on the ground.  As already mentioned, I was comfortable but still seemed a little high.  Seat was kinda hard so I will have to decide what to do.  Based on what I've read in the other threads/posts, with the touring seat I would be even higher so I may consider getting a seat cushion.

Try to ride it first "as is" and see how it works out.   Don't be misled by a bit harder seat. Soft is not always the solution, I know that from many motorcycle miles. However, this theme is very "individual", what is OK for me may not be for you and vice versa.  But "in general", a bit firmer seat is better for longer distances, a bit softer seat for shorter distances.

Even though putting both feet flat on the ground is comforting, I ride also a quite heavy and high motorcycle (Adventure Tourer) where I chose not to lower it due to loss of cornering capability and off-road ground clearance. There is no problem at a stop; either I have one foot flat on the ground and the other one on the bike and the bike just a tad tilted over to that side to stabilize all, or, I balance the bike straight-up on my toes, and this is now after years so natural that I never think about it.  And we are talking here of an about 1000+ lbs bike with full bags and passengers. 

My tip, practice without driving the scooter, tilting left and right, getting the feel of the weight of the scooter; and, have somebody stand by in case it really wants to fall over!  But try to see how the relative weight for you increases when tilted to either side.

General Riding Safety Tip: As an advise for everybody, as I have seen recently so many riders lay their motorcycles and scooters down on gravel/slippery roads, practice on an unpaved/dirt road braking, first without  the front brake, second, with a very moderate use of the front brake, and then front and rear brake together.  Gravel, sand, dust can suddenly be there also on paved roads, and if one has no practice, many people usually crash.   Remember always for safety: you can lock up the rear wheel on a motorcycle/scooter without any major consequences, but you get instant crash results if the front wheel locks up.  So on slippery surfaces the use of the front brake should be very moderate (if at all) and practiced. On dry surfaces the front brake is the most effective one to use for stopping (the rear wheel is not very effective), but on slippery surfaces it is a total different story, and the effective and safe use of front and rear brake depend on many circumstances.

An advanced Motorcycle Safety Course (one stage higher than the basic course) is a very good investment for everybody, be it a new rider, or also a bit more experienced rider.  Because,  nobody wants to crash and get injured, and besides that damage your scooter.  So, practicing for situations that can happen unexpectedly at any time is a wise safety measure.

Hope this will help to enjoy your GrandVista for a long time.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:18:02 PM by windwheeler »

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »
Recommend the Captains Seat.  Would really fit you fine.  Check out POC  Pride of Cleveland Scooters.  Have had mine for 2 years.

scooterbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Good Morning WW...

Wow, excellent suggestions!  Ok, I will definitely see how it feels with the current seat and foot action.  I guess for me, in the past with the Chinese scooters I've had, it was good that I was able have both feet on the ground, I just felt more comfortable that way.  I did have a 06 Bet & Win and my feet were not flat on the ground, I came to a Stop sign at the end of a road that was a upgrade and I had started to tilt a little.  I have strong legs so I was able to balance it not to tip over....but it was a little scary for me.

The GV doesn't seem as high as the the Bet and Win but as you suggested, riding it out first it may work out for me.  I will keep you posted as to how I make out.

Thanks again!

Renee

scooterbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 12:20:05 PM »
When you mentioned the Captain Seat, isn't that the same as the GV Deluxe seat?  Would you happen to have a pic of it handy to share?

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »

Renee, yes, the Captain and Deluxe seat is one and the same.  And, as you said before, it may even be a bit higher (maybe Urbestfriend can give some insight).  My friend who has the seat too says can't remeber if higher, but it is "firmer", says not negative, and with the back support "he" likes it.

Personally, my opinion, for shorter distances the original seat is just fine.

Eric

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
I believe the seat is not only lower, but more comfortable.  I'm 5-10 and the seat back is a little forward for me.   That's why I think it would be better for a shorter height.   Recently did several 60 mile trips and find it superior to both xciting and GV seats.  Hold your horses though and try
Out the regular seat before shelling out the money.   I believe the 04 and 09 seats are not the same.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »
Sta-Bil comments.
Yes, we use Sta-Bil (red) in our fuel for the bikes and mowers all year round.
The Tech support at Sta-Bil points out that use at 1/2 of the storage strength is recommended.
(5 gal/oz vs 2.5 gal/oz)  so that is what we do, except in the dead of winter when we use the higher concentration.

I presume one could use SeaFoam or StarTron (both are stabilizers + cleaners) but we have not.

On the older bikes, we have also use Berryman's B12 as a fuel cleaner because we consider it more powerful (and cheaper)
but have stuck with Techron for the newer Grand Vista 250.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

scooterbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 11:53:04 PM »
Urbestfriend,

Thanks for responding...I'll see how I make out with the existing seat first.  I'll let you know how I make out:-)

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 09:11:09 PM »
Since I started riding a scooter, I have also started working out in a gym. 
Weights, Balance and leg strengthening exercises about 2x per week. 
This really helps the ability to handle the 250cc bike.

scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

scooterbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 09:14:50 PM »
Hi,

It's Renee with an update - I'm getting used to riding my 'new' used GV with the current seat.  When I stop, even though I'm not totally flat, I'm not too uncomfortable, it's only been a few days so we'll see.  I do like the look of the Deluxe Seat:-) I also ordered the passenger back rest and I'm getting someone to help me make the foot plates. 

I have indoor car port parking in the condo complex where I live.  I two parking spots so my truck is parking in one spot and I have my GV parked in between.  I have a 8 foot chain wrapped around the back pillar, disk lock connected to the chain and this is wrapped around the bottom, foot rest area of the scooter.  My truck hides my scooter from plain view as you're driving through the complex and when I leave in my truck, I just make sure that my scooter is secure and with the cover over it.  At least if someone gets an idea to try and steal it, they may think twice...I have neighbors and their kids walking around all the time where I park so that too is good thing:-)

As far as washing your scooters, what do you use?  Other than that I'm enjoying my GV!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()