Author Topic: Roller weight to slider weight conversion  (Read 11011 times)

Demps

• View Profile
Roller weight to slider weight conversion
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:41:14 AM »
Looked allover the internet and getting  lots of conflicting info. If I switch from standard roller weights to Dr Pulley slider weights should I increase, decrease, or keep the same weight as the stock 8.5 grams? I am running a derestricted 2005 zx 50 with no other mods. I would like to increase the top speed if possible but don't want to loose acceleration. Also, the rollers that are in there now have worn some flat spots in them, is that normal or is it a sign of a problem. Thanks

blue

• View Profile
Re: Roller weight to slider weight conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »
I have always stuck to rollers. if you go lghter on the rollers the top end will increase. if you are running 8.5 try some 7 or even some 6 . took me a few trys to find what I like. good luck.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »
Well generally people go 1 gm lighter but I don't know where this recommendation came from.
I always assumed it was straight from Dr. Pulley but couldn't find it on their web site.

My experience was, I ordered the same weight as stock as I wanted better fuel mileage but
I had done some mods to my variator so the sliders allowed the pulley ratio to change to the point
the scoot was revving at 9000 RPM's! I didn't think it should rev that high (especially when trying
for good fuel mileage) so took them out. I've since added 1.5 gm's to them but have yet to try
them again.

Sometimes you need to tune for how you like it to run so you might end up getting different weights....
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Demps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 03:07:24 AM »
Thanks for the insight. Maybe I just need to try some lighter rollers to see if that will get me were I want to be. The Dr Pulley sliders area little too pricey to buy a bunch of different sets

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:36:47 AM »
Thanks for the insight. Maybe I just need to try some lighter rollers to see if that will get me were I want to be. The Dr Pulley sliders area little too pricey to buy a bunch of different sets

Generally going lighter on rollers improves acceleration but you sometimes lose a couple of mph top end, going heavier and you lose some acceleration but may gain a couple of mph topend, if you can get up to top speed that is. Its all trial and error till you find a weight that works best to suit your needs and depends on the rest of your set-up. You can buy roller sets for tuning that come with different weights,  usually have like 6x sets of various weights that come in a pack.

Normally just swapping out rollers wont get you much, if any change in top speed tho, your top speed is governed by the variator so if your belt already rides out to the edge of the variator you wont get any better top speed no matter what roller weight you fit.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Demps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »
Looks likeI've got a good 1/4 inch of the variator that doesn't show signs of wear so I think I can get a little moreout of it

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 03:08:38 PM »
I just installed Dr. Pulley sliders (20x15 16 gram, a set of 6 sliders) in my Kymco Yager GT 200i. Stock rollers were 16.5 grams. I notice the RPMs at low speed are a tiny bit higher, and at high speeds, they're about the same. To ensure the sliders slid easily, I put a thin film of high-temperature synthetic grease in the channels where the sliders ride... the grease is rated to not melt until it hits 600F, so it shouldn't liquefy and fling out. It's usually used for greasing disc brake pistons, I found it at Kragen Auto Parts.

I'm going to fill the centers of the sliders in with epoxy to give them a bit more weight, hopefully it'll lower my in-town cruising RPMs by 1000 RPM or so. If epoxy doesn't do the trick, I'll drill a hole through the epoxy on the drill press, lathe up a set of brass weights, press them into the drilled holes with the Dake press, then epoxy to secure it. And if that still isn't heavy enough, I'll go with a new set of sliders, with an even heavier brass weight... rinse and repeat until I get it tuned just right. But I'm pretty close to perfect right now... just need the in-town cruising RPMs dropped a bit.

16 grams is the heaviest slider Dr. Pulley makes for this scooter... I wish they'd make heavier, but there you go.

rb250

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 05:40:49 PM »
I just got 20x15  x18 gr sliders from partsforscooters,com a month ago ad they do what your looking for

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 03:59:17 AM »
Okay, I will be ignorant.  What is the difference between rollers and  sliders and what are their primary function?

Thank you for your replies.
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 09:46:45 AM »
Dr. Pulley Sliders are a different style of roller and can be used with your stock variator. The unique shape offers a variety of benefits:

Sliders engage up to 20% faster than traditional rollers. They allow you to engage in higher gear ratios.

Sliders last longer with much less wear than rollers because they slide rather than roll (hence the name!). Rollers and sliders should be inspected annually (at minimum) for wear. Rollers are especially prone to developing flat spots that inhibit their ability to move smoothly. If this occurs, they should be replaced. This is one advantage of sliders, as they already have flat sides and are not affected by this wear as much as rollers.

Pick up some Dr. Pulley sliders today!

The Buggy Parts NW crew uses Dr Pulley sliders in our vehicles.
https://www.buggypartsnw.com/
I've been ordering stuff from these guys for 3 years i trust then fully.and highly recommend them
if you buy from them use the flat rate 3 days anywhere in the USA

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »
Dr. Pulley Sliders are a different style of roller and can be used with your stock variator. The unique shape offers a variety of benefits:

Sliders engage up to 20% faster than traditional rollers. They allow you to engage in higher gear ratios.

Sliders last longer with much less wear than rollers because they slide rather than roll (hence the name!). Rollers and sliders should be inspected annually (at minimum) for wear. Rollers are especially prone to developing flat spots that inhibit their ability to move smoothly. If this occurs, they should be replaced. This is one advantage of sliders, as they already have flat sides and are not affected by this wear as much as rollers.

Pick up some Dr. Pulley sliders today!............................TO EACH HIS OWN...all i have ever used is slider weights i have no issues with either low end or top end.less top end rpm's works far better than to know your engine is doing 9000 RPM's

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 05:03:31 AM »
Looked allover the internet and getting  lots of conflicting info. If I switch from standard roller weights to Dr Pulley slider weights should I increase, decrease, or keep the same weight as the stock 8.5 grams? I am running a derestricted 2005 zx 50 with no other mods. I would like to increase the top speed if possible but don't want to loose acceleration. Also, the rollers that are in there now have worn some flat spots in them, is that normal or is it a sign of a problem. Thanks

There's not a real big difference between "rollers" and "sliders".  They both slide, actually, and eventually the round rollers become flat with wear like sliders.  I always figured that sliders are too expensive for experimenting because you need several sets at different weights.  Just buy a box of cheap tuning rollers.  They're useful for figuring out which weights work best for you.  Then buy your sliders (which last longer) at the correct weight.  It's not worth trying to fudge the weight of an expensive set of sliders; just use the cheap tuning rollers to figure out the weight that works best.  Weights have no effect on top speed, they only change how your scoot accelerates, and in most cases they're matched to the contra spring behind the clutch.  Unless you're really fat & heavy, the stock weights will likely work best.  400lb fat guys need light rollers to get the rpms up when the light turns green, but most of us will be OK with stock weights.

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 01:08:21 PM »
There's not a real big difference between "rollers" and "sliders".  They both slide, actually, and eventually the round rollers become flat with wear like sliders.  I always figured that sliders are too expensive for experimenting because you need several sets at different weights.  Just buy a box of cheap tuning rollers.  They're useful for figuring out which weights work best for you.  Then buy your sliders (which last longer) at the correct weight.  It's not worth trying to fudge the weight of an expensive set of sliders; just use the cheap tuning rollers to figure out the weight that works best.  Weights have no effect on top speed, they only change how your scoot accelerates, and in most cases they're matched to the contra spring behind the clutch.  Unless you're really fat & heavy, the stock weights will likely work best.  400lb fat guys need light rollers to get the rpms up when the light turns green, but most of us will be OK with stock weights.

Actually, on some scooters the do effect top speed.  For example, my Like 200i gained 2 mph top speed by going with 12.5 gram rollers vs. the stock 14 gram rollers.  I believe this is because the stock CVT setup is tuned to keep the RPMs in the mid range area for better in town pick up.  Once I get an exhaust on my Like, I will probably be able to go even lighter on the rollers and gain even more top speed since the stock exhaust on the Like 200i is restrictive. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 02:03:47 AM »
my Like 200i gained 2 mph top speed

No matter what you do to your CVT scooter, your top speed will stay about the same, regardless of rollers, variator, bore kit, or whatever.  An extra 2mph is about as extreme as it gets  (I can get an extra 5mph with a strong tail wind).  Doubling your cc's will let you accelerate faster, but top speed won't change.  HOWEVER: if you change your rear-end gears, plus add a BBK, you can increase top speed.  But you have to do the gears to get the speed because your max RPMs remains the same.  You can spend a small fortune on rollers, but won't gain as much as you can with a strong tail wind.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 06:37:07 AM »
The sliders do give you silky smooth acceleration. They start at a lower gear because of the
shape. If your belt is long enough you might get some top end out of them. A little tweaking
on the metal in the variator and contra pulley can give you a bit more. I did both and ended
up with sky high revs which I didn't like so I went back to the stock rollers.

Stock my bike does 67 MPH, I can run at 70 all the time and 75 on level or downhills now...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()