Author Topic: For those afraid to adjust your own valves...  (Read 3019 times)

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
For those afraid to adjust your own valves...
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:30:51 PM »
Yay, me.

I have a basic tool set from Lowe's that is in a plastic flip out case. It has SAE and metric sockets and wrenches, several types of pliers, a hammer and lots of other little tools.  I am not mechanically inclined but I can tie my own shoes. I set out this morning to adjust my valves, clean my spark plug and check my drive belt.  I started at 8:50am and finished at 10:10am. If my math is correct, that is 1 hour and 20 minutes.  My only experience in doing any of this was watching the video recently posted (see below).  It was actually very, very easy to do and I just saved myself a good chunk of change.

My upper valve was a little loose but the lower one was just right.  I used a fine wire brush to clean my spark plug and then I checked the gap, it was good. The hardest part was removing the belt cover since it had never been off before.  I was able to use a claw hammer by hooking the claw on the underside of the cover and using steady outward pressure.  The belt looked brand new (I only have 2500 miles on the scooter) and there was only a small amount of belt dust in there, not enough to even worry about.  Reassembly was a breeze.

Even if you think you can't do it, or are simply afraid to do it... give it a shot.  You can always stop at any point if you can't tie your shoes. :)

Valve adjustment video:
2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

big blue

• View Profile
Re: For those afraid to adjust your own valves...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »
Thanx for that Sonic. I plan on doing the valves at my next oil change. I have set tappets on older Volvos and VWs but it has been a while. It will be great to get "down and dirty" with my scoot! :D
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:00:57 PM »
Fair comment Sonicman (cool name~!, cousin to the Man o' Steel?),
Take you time.....it is not too hard. Really, and you do get some bonding going on mit your Scooterwheeler.
Here's my 2 centimes :buy your tools from the dollar table at your grocers, pharmacy, hairdressers, union hall, Ollie's Bargain Barn, thrift shop, etc., etc. I used to buy only Craftsman tools, then had the whole lot stolen from my Rabbit. Replaced them from various Dollar Tables, and you know what? I've never broken a cheap box wrench, or an 99 cent screwdriver, etc., etc. Since we spend most of our working life doing something other than fiddling happily with our scooter's mechanics....we do not need pro-grade tools. We should not let the price of tools  stop us from playing (carefully mechanic-ing) with our scooters
Honestly, cheap tools are fine....get the right size so you don't round things off that are meant to stay a hexagon, etc. but have at it with a low-bucks-no-name-SET of wrenches and sockets from AutoZone, etc
Take notes as you work, take a snap of it before starting so you can refer back, lay the bolts, washers out the way they came off. Snug the important bits back the way they were. Hand tighten (mit der finger-snappens) before putting the wrench to it, etc.
Seriously ; KYMCO is not Chinese for NASA......
You can do this!

(posted by a recovering laceless man in Ohio)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:20:12 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:16:17 PM »

Dear Sonicman, with all the $$ you have coming in from your comics and movies and yootoob videos - don't be so thrifty. Put a  NEW plug in there for Pete's Sake~! Even if it's an NGK Iridium Missile, they cost only a few bucks, and proper (Ney, PERFECT~!)  functioning is rather important to the scooter's happiness.

~who moved my cheese?`

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 02:40:08 AM »
Dear Sonicman, with all the $$ you have coming in from your comics and movies and yootoob videos - don't be so thrifty. Put a  NEW plug in there for Pete's Sake~! Even if it's an NGK Iridium Missile, they cost only a few bucks, and proper (Ney, PERFECT~!)  functioning is rather important to the scooter's happiness.

Not sure where you got sonicman from... it is sonicsix.  Anyways, It is not necessary to put a new plug in at 2500 miles.  My next service will be at 3100 miles and that is when it calls for a new plug.  Had the current plug shown signs of wear, I would have replaced it ahead of schedule.  When I do change the lug, it will be with a good old copper plug, I like them better.  Plus, I need to save all my extra cash for gas!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:44:27 AM »
Sonicman...I like that...  ;D

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 03:25:33 AM »
I honestly was timid about adjusting the valves. I couldn't see paying all that money so often to have the dealer do it though. Thanks to your video, I had no problem either. It's no big deal. I'm not as fast as you. It took me an hour and fifteen minutes, but I'm not fast.
Next will be the belt inspection and spark plug, but I'm only at 1300 miles, so that will be later.
Thank you Sonicsix for helping me with your fantastic video! : )

Edit:

Oh, how soon I forget! : /
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:21:35 AM by tclhb »
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 06:09:01 AM »
In my country, labor is cheap...very cheap...  :)  Never have to do it myself... Of course I know how... but I can't resist....

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »
Thank you Sonicsix for helping me with your fantastic video! : )

I was only offering encouragement, I did not make the video.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 01:18:59 AM »
In my country, labor is cheap...very cheap...  :)  Never have to do it myself... Of course I know how... but I can't resist....

I don't know if we should let you get away with this....You know, in this country there's an old Navajo scooter saying..."Those that can, DO. Those that can't take 'em to the shop. Those with lots of money just buy a new scooter."
.....this is a very rough translation.

WHO moved my cheese?!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 01:34:02 AM »

I don't know if we should let you get away with this....You know, in this country there's an old Navajo scooter saying..."Those that can, DO. Those that can't take 'em to the shop. Those with lots of money just buy a new scooter."
.....this is a very rough translation.

WHO moved my cheese?!

I can't afford a new scoot and I don't have lots of money....   Here's an example... labor for an engine RE-BUILD is 1,500 pesos thats around 35 U.S. Dollars!!!  For a valve adjustment? Geez! a bottle of beer would do....   ;)     Once I had my old scoot replace head gasket, o-rings, and de-carbonized the combustion chamber... all for 750 pesos or around 17 U.S. dollars... parts and labor included... another reason why I would let a mechanic do these is that these poor mechanics also need some money to feed the family... they are poor dudes with lots of years of experience repairing scoots/bikes... they are good and honest people... and they deserve to be patronized...

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 02:30:14 AM »

I can't afford a new scoot and I don't have lots of money....   Here's an example... labor for an engine RE-BUILD is 1,500 pesos thats around 35 U.S. Dollars!!!  For a valve adjustment? Geez! a bottle of beer would do....   ;)     Once I had my old scoot replace head gasket, o-rings, and de-carbonized the combustion chamber... all for 750 pesos or around 17 U.S. dollars... parts and labor included... another reason why I would let a mechanic do these is that these poor mechanics also need some money to feed the family... they are poor dudes with lots of years of experience repairing scoots/bikes... they are good and honest people... and they deserve to be patronized...

Where do you live?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 02:31:37 AM »
Where do you live?

Philippines...

It would be nice to spend a vacation here and take nice pictures for your collection, Sonicsix...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:34:43 AM by Vivo »

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 05:30:38 PM »
Philippines...

It would be nice to spend a vacation here and take nice pictures for your collection, Sonicsix...

Indeed.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 12:57:51 AM »

Where do you live?

Fair Comment Vivo.....
(you display an impressive character in your thoughtful comments)
Ah, to have so many knowledgeable scooter mechanics nearby! Well, I guess the fellows at my dealer know a thing or two about scooters if they can work on those $30,000 Ducati Panigales (jeez those Ducatis look like 2 wheeled Ferraris!). But I doubt if the mechanics get very much of my $384 for a valve adjustment and oil change. (I think the fellow who parks the big yellow Hummer out front gets most of my $$)

I would so gladly pay fair prices to a local scooter mechanic who knew his stuff and worked out of his garage, and treated scooter owners like OK people.  Maybe when I retire in a few years I can do valve adjustments and oils and brakes out of my garage on Kymcos!

Another thing I like about my 200i Kymco is the price of even significant engine parts.....sure beats car part prices.
Scoot safely out there.........
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()