Author Topic: NGK on Iridium Plugs  (Read 1014 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
NGK on Iridium Plugs
« on: June 15, 2013, 03:16:43 PM »
Still reading scooter reviews on using an Iridium NGK spark plug.
Found 4 comments about increased idle speed - in one case causing rear tire to spin requiring idle adjustment (which according to our service manual  - the idle cannot be adjusted on our EFI 4-strokes- at least not by us)
I do agree that the Iridium smoothed the idle and the start-up, and probably increased my idle some - causing increased coasting distance as the throttle was rolled completely off. (= feeling like less engine braking)

I may try using it again - hit 1000 miles this morning.

NGK's take on the Iridium plug: http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/iridium/02_1/index.html

And..... http://www.1stautobulbs.com/NGKIridium.php

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:19:11 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
Re: NGK on Iridium Plugs
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 02:33:25 AM »
There is an idle speed screw Stig.  I have used it to slightly adjust my Like when I first got it (i.e. it still had stock NGK, but after 20  miles it was a little high.).  I have a picture of the inside motor on one of these posts and you can see the idle set screw clearly.  It simply adjusts the "stop" of the throttle.  Hope that helps.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:59:46 AM »
There is an idle speed screw Stig.  I have used it to slightly adjust my Like when I first got it (i.e. it still had stock NGK, but after 20  miles it was a little high.).  I have a picture of the inside motor on one of these posts and you can see the idle set screw clearly.  It simply adjusts the "stop" of the throttle.  Hope that helps.
Backed the idle stop screw off one full turn, this had no effect on the idle speed. Would not swear to it, but it did not look like the stop screw was touching anything. i.e.: Looked like I could possibly increase the idle speed, but not lower it. And the iridium plug, being slightly more efficient, had increased the speed at idle. So, out she came!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 02:19:08 AM »
Sorry...to be clear...you have to adjust the screw that is under the black rubber "nipple".  Sorry for the confusion.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
Sorry...to be clear...you have to adjust the screw that is under the black rubber "nipple".  Sorry for the confusion.
Yep, that's the one. Had no effect on the idle speed. So I put 'er back as found!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()