Author Topic: Has anyone converted d/c cdi to a/c cdi?  (Read 3191 times)

Scooter Russ

• View Profile
Has anyone converted d/c cdi to a/c cdi?
« on: June 18, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
Just wondering if anyone on here has converted d/c cdi to a/c cdi on their scoot? I've been having issues with my d/c cdi on my scoot. About once a year I'll burn up a cdi. A local scooter repair guy says he can convert my scoot over to a/c cdi and i won't have as many issues. Plus parts are cheaper and more abundant. He starts by changing the stator over to an a/c unit. He has to rewire a few things and of course he changes cdi. Please let me know if anyone has info on this and what your feelings are about swicthing! Thx Russ
Drive it like you stole it! Lol......

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone converted d/c cdi to a/c cdi?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »
A DC CDI has a high voltage power supply inside which tends to die on occasion.
Changing to AC would eliminate that problem but I'd worry the charging coil might
not be strong enough to power everything. Charging systems on bikes and scooters
are very carefully balanced and easy to over or under charge the battery when just
swapping parts willy nilly. Mose parts are chinese and do not have specs, pinouts or
other useful info for such a swap...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:06:32 PM »
It might work but there might be other parts on the scoot that needs the dc power like the regulators. And as far as the stator gos I think you might be ok because the stator only brings up like 2% charge at a time to the battery while the scoot is running. the reast is to power the lights.
you may not have to even swap the stator out.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:44:50 AM »
It's a lot of work...

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:53:26 PM »
All you do is change the stator, pick up, coil, cdi, and regulator, wiring may need to be spliced or use the wiring harness from the donor bike.
Its actually really easy. Youll find that the plugs are not the same but the wiring is all there and you just have to splice them.
When changing from the 50cc 1e40qmb to the 90cc 1e50qmf I got to have fun with dc to ac conversion. I could have just changed out stator to the ac bike but screw that its ore fun dc! actually I dont notice a difference ha.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()