Author Topic: Bad headlight relay ( 1yr old scooter-People 250S)  (Read 1552 times)

kawzak

• View Profile
Bad headlight relay ( 1yr old scooter-People 250S)
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:54:27 PM »
I've been out for a while, anyway lets see if any one has experianced this problem. Turn ignition switch on,head lights come on- count to 5- head lights go out-wont come back on after engine starts. Every thing else works correctly. I traced this problem back to the headlight module down inside cowl- left side, behind radiator (bad place to begin with) lots of heat there. Anyway the unit has huge cracks in the insulation plastic pour (the factory seals up the printed citcuit boards inside the module this way). This scooter has less than 3k miles. I don't find any recalls on this but after I buy a new one I am going to relocate it away from the heat. I plan to post this in the "People 250 " topic are also. Part # D-421 Any replies will be appreciated.

kawzak

• View Profile
Re: Bad headlight relay ( 1yr old scooter-People 250S)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:45:08 AM »
I posted the wrong part #. The real part number of the headlight module is 38600 or 3860A. It has a (2) prong terminal and a (4) prong terminal/plug. This part if for the "s" model. The standard People model uses (2) relays-one for the Low beam and one for High. Also my module has a built in timer (I think). Maybe thats why it costs $ 40+. 

eugenec

• View Profile
Re: Bad headlight relay ( 1yr old scooter-People 250S)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 09:11:52 PM »
Here is my solution to the relay problem: use old fashion mechanical relays. I replaced the right side bulb with 35W HID H4 dual beam lamp and it worked fine - for a couple times untill the Kymco solid state relay went out. The sympton is exactly like what is described in the thread: The lights turn itself off after a few seconds. Instead of buying another $40 relay from Kymco and most likely burn it up again, I just put two $5.99 relays together and my problem is solved. The relays I got from AutoZone is rated for 40A so I am quite sure they will pretty much last forever.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()