Author Topic: Be careful with sticky shoes...  (Read 2570 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Be careful with sticky shoes...
« on: June 19, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »
Be careful with boat shoes, water shoes, and other shoes with very sticky soles...

It had been raining for a week now... Few days ago, I decided to wear my new water shoes for riding simply because they dry very fast after washing or rinsing ... (water shoes are similar with boat shoes but more used in hiking, kayaking, crossing rivers, jumping on slippery rocks, etc.) Any way, I was riding one morning on my way to the office when I approached an intersection... I saw a car was about to cross so I put on the brakes... when the scoot stopped I'm supposed to put down my foot on the ground but... it won't budge... the sole was stuck on the scoot floor like glue and I have to lift my foot up... the scoot and I almost fell on the side if I was not thinking fast... that scared the hell out of me...

Ride Safe Guys!!! 

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: Be careful with sticky shoes...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
Be careful with boat shoes, water shoes, and other shoes with very sticky soles...

It had been raining for a week now... Few days ago, I decided to wear my new water shoes for riding simply because they dry very fast after washing or rinsing ... (water shoes are similar with boat shoes but more used in hiking, kayaking, crossing rivers, jumping on slippery rocks, etc.) Any way, I was riding one morning on my way to the office when I approached an intersection... I saw a car was about to cross so I put on the brakes... when the scoot stopped I'm supposed to put down my foot on the ground but... it won't budge... the sole was stuck on the scoot floor like glue and I have to lift my foot up... the scoot and I almost fell on the side if I was not thinking fast... that scared the hell out of me...

Ride Safe Guys!!!

Yo yo Brother thanks for the heads up.
Let me see those shoes. They sound bad for the scoot but just the ticket for the boat.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:52:37 PM »
Don't you hate those oh sh*t moments that thankfully workout, but not before mentally draining you. Glad you and your scooter are okay. Be safe!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:53:43 AM »
Let me see those shoes. They sound bad for the scoot but just the ticket for the boat.

Be Big,
AMAC

Merrell Waterpro Maipo

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:15:40 AM »
Merrell Waterpro Maipo

Always dependable , thanks sir !

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:22:06 AM »
You are welcome..

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 01:25:59 AM »
Also need to be careful of the other end of the spectrum: shoes with slippery or worn soles.  On a few occasions when I've come to a stop and went to place my foot on the ground for support it has nearly slipped out from under me.  Need to be careful you're not placing your foot on loose sand, oily patch, wet leaves/street markings, etc.  Fortunately, I have never gone down, but it has definitely got my heart a pumpin' a few times!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 01:34:59 AM »
You're all right about those sh*t moments, heart pumpin' and blood shooting up your spine... it's good not to forget taking your hypertensive medication... ride safe everyone!  ;)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 01:51:10 AM »

Be Big,
AMAC

Where do you boat and what kind of boat do you have? I'm in south Jersey, USA 186 Seahunt DC w/ F115 pwr.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 02:35:16 AM »
08, I'm interested in boats too.. I would like one for retirement purposes... you see, the Philippines is a very small country but our coastline is around 36,000 kilometers... U.S.A. has around 19,000 kilometers of coastline... Boats here are very expensive because they are imported... there are local boat builders but I really don't know how to tell if they are good... I'm not really a "boat person" you know...

Here's a catamaran made by a local boat builder...

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 11:24:55 AM »
Huh, being an experience mc rider but scooter virgin I would've never thought of that, although I have noticed it takes more effort to get the feet of the floor boards as opposed to pegs.  Thanks for the heads up, Vivo!
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »
Vivo,

A few things you'll need to know about boats:

A boat is a hole in the water in which one pours money.

BOAT= Bust Out Another Thousand

As for your local boat builder, find a model you like that's a few years old, look around it for stress cracks, look around the stern as that's the part that takes most of the beating. a couple of big outboards that weigh in excess of 500 lbs each twisting and turning pumping and pulling on the rear end will tell if the quality is there or not. Also talk to the manufacturer, see if the glass work is hand laid or done with a chopper gun, hand is always better, more even and less weight in the hull. Some of the biggest manufacturers use chopper guns (searay) it doesn't mean it's bad but just not as high quality. There are too many methods to get into but there is a forum I highly recommend you look into.

Let me know if you can get thehulltruth.com where you are, you'll find a wealth of information, far too much to view in less then 1 year IMO. You'll find forums and sub forums on everything you need to know. Electronics, hull design, flotation, eng's fuel etc.

You'll find me in dockside chat mostly, so welcome aboard. I'll gt back to you later on, got to run now. 
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 03:51:49 AM »
Huh, being an experience mc rider but scooter virgin I would've never thought of that, although I have noticed it takes more effort to get the feet of the floor boards as opposed to pegs.  Thanks for the heads up, Vivo!

You're welcome Cosmo, that's what we're here for... help fellow riders around the globe...  ;)

@080:  A hole in the water huh... tsk, tsk,  How about a small runabout for just some island hopping... the one I can tow with my car/truck to the beach... may that might be a smaller hole on the water... what do you think...? 

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »
Where do you boat and what kind of boat do you have? I'm in south Jersey, USA 186 Seahunt DC w/ F115 pwr.

Great minds think alike , 201 Seahunt DC F150.
As we know "south jersey" means different things to different people. I live half the year in Mantoloking just south of pt pleasant.

You're always welcome its beach season.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »
Great minds think alike , 201 Seahunt DC F150.
As we know "south jersey" means different things to different people. I live half the year in Mantoloking just south of pt pleasant.

You're always welcome its beach season.

Be Big,
AMAC

Thanks for the offer, maybe one day I'll drive down or up to you and we'll grab lunch. Nice area but a long run getting around that point. Once we get our house back the same offer goes to you, maybe we can exchange fishing trips.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()