Author Topic: Scooters and the bikers wave.  (Read 2382 times)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Scooters and the bikers wave.
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »
An email got my mind thinking.   So I did what all Uber - Geeks do!  I blogged about it.

http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-brotherhood-of-two-wheels-scooters.html

comment, send love/hate mail.  whatever.

Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Scooters and the bikers wave.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »
We tend to give a nod here rather than a wave. I usually nod at anyone on 2-wheels except Harley riders, they think theyre too cool to nod. Probably about 70 percent nod back, bikers and scooterists. Been sat at the side of the road 3 times, twice fixing a minor problem and once just having a smoke break, when 2 bikers and and a couple of mods on vintage scooters have stopped to ask if i needed any help too.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 01:58:33 AM »
Hahaha!!! In my country. if you wave or nod at everybody on scooters or motorbikes, you might end up in a crash... lots of scooters here and you will be nodding or waving every other split second or so.... imagine that! nod, nod, nod, wave, wave, nod, wave.... You'll look like an idiot!!!...

You'll look like this... 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:08:58 AM by Vivo »

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:59:36 AM »
I'd say at least 1/2 the other riders wave, most all scoots, rice burners that think they are too cool to strap on a helmet and some Harley dudes won't even look your way. I recently had a conversation with a Harley dude, he was shocked to learn that Harley imported a scoot back in the day to compete, blew his mind, he still won't wave.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 02:02:11 AM »
Hahaha!!! In my country. if you wave or nod at everybody on scooters or motorbikes, you might end up in a crash... lots of scooters here and you will be nodding or waving every other split second or so.... imagine that! nod, nod, nod, wave, wave, nod, wave.... You'll look like an idiot!!!...

Were pretty few and far between, some days I don't see another rider. It's more of a hey I got your back if you run into trouble nod/wave. Very much like being on a boat, if you break down on the water you want someone to stop and lend a hand, even if it's just to call the coast guard or seatow.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 03:30:15 AM »
One of my friends tells me that she doesn't wave to select groups of riders because she feels dumb waving if they don't wave back. I tell her I wave to everybody anyways so I have nothing to be embarassed about. Doesn"t matter what I am riding. :)

Waving is also good practice for keeping your arms loose and relaxed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:31:57 AM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 03:47:35 AM »
I have noticed that most Harley riders will either return wave or initiate one. Scooterist return or initiate around 50% of the time and folks on rice burners tend to ignore my existences. The ones that do wave on rice burners tend to be new riders.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:21:16 PM by TroutBum »

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 02:46:26 PM »
Just back in after a ride today, i took a note of how many bikers returned my nod. Passed 6 bikers, 2 waved. Didnt see any scooterists.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 08:53:02 PM »
Here in the deep south, bubba, it is about 90% and most motorcyclists initiate and/or at least return a wave.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 01:40:09 AM »
Locally, most of the people who wave back at me are Harley or other cruiser riders. Sportbikes not so much and scooters almost not at all. Most of the other scoots I come across around here not into the scooter culture but are riding the 49cc's because they've lost their drivers licenses and to them it's just transportation.

I just got back from a 3 day trip with a friend and just about all the other bikes waved first or waved back at us.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 02:16:46 AM »
   I just noticed today a few riders waved back but they did not take there hands off of the handle bars  just waving there fingers,.  when I did the riding coarse, we where told not to take our hands off of the handle bars,. 

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 03:06:04 AM »
   when I did the riding coarse, we where told not to take our hands off of the handle bars,.

Maybe some waved, nodded and some winked.... did you see their eyes?  ;) ;) ;)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 02:13:01 AM »
Ok, so we don't wave or nod here... but it's really second nature for us riders to caution a fellow rider of some things like busted brake light, flat/soft tire, unretracted side stand, wobbling rear wheel, etc.
Ah yes, we stick out our hand as a gesture of "apology" when a rider does something unintentionally stupid...  :o

bountybuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »
I always give a low wave but never at the Harley riders.  I will wave after I get my new Downtown 300i in 2014.  Anxious to see if they still wave back.

bountybuddy

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »
yes the bikers wave at the downtowns  been waved at from  Victoria,BC.  to new Hampshire,.  and Boston  Mass.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()