Author Topic: ACG schematics for Downtown  (Read 2074 times)

cubeover

• View Profile
ACG schematics for Downtown
« on: June 23, 2013, 05:50:01 AM »
Hi Guys
welcome a new member.
I have been a Kymco user since 2008 (Agility 125) and never had an issue.
But now my Downtown is over 2 year old and it seems to have a charging circuit issue - when riding with low or high beam, when not going particularly fast, the dashboard "BATTERY" light turns on.
If I switch headlight off and speed up, it goes away.
I went to a dealer where I bought the scooter for 20K km maintenance and they said "did not notice the issue" but I was still having it.
So I bought a new battery but this did not help.
I wonder if it is a generator, does anyone have a schematics?

Zak
Melbourne Australia

DoubleSC

• View Profile
Re: ACG schematics for Downtown
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:05:20 AM »
Welcome, and check out this post:

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=9381.0
Link corrected in post #4 below

It should have a link to the schematics for your bike (non-US version).  I'd specifically start looking at the voltage regulator as possibly being bad.  Check the voltages on the battery at idle and higher RPMs (service manual indicates it should be between 14~15V @ 5000RPM with Headlight High-beams turned on).

DSC
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:34:01 AM by DoubleSC »

cubeover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 02:02:16 PM »
Have you just linked my post to itself, mate?  :D
I have checked the generator coil resistance and it was 6 Ohm, far from 0.6 the manual quotes. This is on all three coils. How can this be?
The voltage was fluctuating at about 12.5 V when idling, going to 13.2 at 6K rpm. This is no headlights.
When I turn low beam on, the voltage drops to 11.75 V and going down. At about 11.5 the red battery light shows up on the dash. f***.
I have checked the regulator and is seems all good, no short circuits on inputs and 623 Ohm and OFL on output, depending on direction I measured.
I even checked the current it can give - a whopping 16.6 A when shorted onto my multimeter.
I fiddled around for more and noticed there are two more wires coming out of the ACG, I think this is pulsar coil?
After some cable probing and more advanced curses I measured the ACG coils again and it was 0.8 Ohm! How can this be? I was not dreaming.
Then right off I started the scoota and it was charging fine, with 13V idle and 14V at higher revs, even with the high beam on.
Happy, I assembled the scooter but next day's trip to work proved the nature of my fix to be sorely transitional.
It was back into same game, showing me the red battery light as a warning to turn off the headlight. Damnation.

Could this be a relay issue?
How can a coil change its resistance so suddenly?
Is is a static coil or rotating coil system in Downtown? Any more ACG design peculiarities inside?

DoubleSC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:31:30 AM »
DSC
Have you just linked my post to itself, mate?  :D

Where??  How??  What the??  Apparently I still haven't quite grasped how to copy/paste :-[
You'd probably already found the schematics, but here's the link I was trying to paste just in case:
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7446.msg81966#msg81966

Anyway,  not sure how it could go from 6-ohms resistance across the coils (yellow-yellow) to 0.8-ohms while the scoot isn't powered on.  Doesn't make sense to me either, especially if all 3 coil wire sets changed similarly.  If not already done so, you may want to disconnect the regulator during measurement of the coil resistance (the manual doesn't note that you should), and from that you may be able to at least isolate which part (regulator vs. coil) is responsible for the change in resistance.

Apart from perhaps checking for dirty connectors/grounding points, not sure where else to look...

Cheers,
DSC

cubeover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »
Thanks DSC
of course I disconnected the regulator, and measured the ACG coil itself. It was 6 Ohms all around "usually" and not charging enough.
Once after I played around with cables and it magically dropped to 0.8 Ohm I immediately connected regulator, started the scooter and checked the voltage and it was all fine. I rejoiced and reassembled but next day the issue was back during my commute ride.
I think it is coil or its cables playing up, but I have no idea how.
I would have to open the ACG and have a look. Should I mark alignment of the coil?
I am sure I pressed firmly onto socket connectors when measuring; the reason is inside...
I hope I won't have to buy the part for this, as it may be expensive...
Damn... bad luck, it seems... :(

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()