Author Topic: performance  (Read 1990 times)

claynine

• View Profile
performance
« on: June 23, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
I have 250 miles on the new Like 200i now and am happy with the performance to 40 MPh.  After forty mph it is very sluggish.  Top speed on level highway is a disappointing 55.  Granted the engine isn't broke in yet but reviews are constantly talking about this scoot going 65.  My old 1985 125 Riva takes me 67.  Is there something wrong with this particular scoot?  I have noted that the tail pipe has a whopping 1/2" inside diameter.   My chainsaw is bigger than that.  That must be a horrible restriction.  Any thoughts.... the engine seems to hit a medium RPM and does not climb any more.  The old Yamaha keeps winding up and so does the speed.  I wonder if the computer governs the RPMs on the Kymco.  Between the choked down exhaust and the "who knows what" with the computer, I am disappointed with the high end performance of this Like 200i.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: performance
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »
Most of these scoots are slow at first. Wait until you have 2000 miles or so to pronounce it slow.
My Yager would only do 60 at first now it does 70...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »
Here's hoping it will get better.

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »
There are restrictions on this Like for sure.  Mostly emissions stuff, but I agree with you on two things...the muffler and the CPU.  I am looking into the CPU and whether there is a restriction.  My Aprilia SR50 had a huge restriction and once it was re-programed, that little fuel injected 2-stroke became a screamer!  I really miss that scoot.  The Like (to me) feels the same way, in that at 60 mph I feel that everything just stops...there is no more umph.  I am waiting to hear back from my scoot shop on that one.  Obviously, getting rid of that heavy, choking muffler with something lighter and less restrictive would be a huge improvement. However any changes could/would have drastic and most likely bad effects on the performance since the fuel mapping and O2 sensor are set with a finite range of tolerances.  So again the CPU may be able to compensate for changes, but until I can confirm this is the case I am not touching nothing.  Especially since a new muffler is not cheap which brings me back to rule #1...if you are spending more than $1,000 on mods to get 5-10 mph (maybe) on your top end...just get a bigger engined scooter that is purpose built for strong 2 up riding and freeway cruising.

The first easy thing you can do is the air box mod.  Search around for the post.  That took all of 10 minutes and (for me) made a noticeable improvement for $0 dollars.  I would suggest not only removing the restrictor in the inlet tube (most likely put there for sound) but also to cut away a nice size of the silly "plate" that also is restricting the intake air.  I cut out about half of that silly thing to make sure there is good air flow into the air box.

In the meantime there really isn't much you can do with so little miles on the scoot.  As noted, after 1000 or so miles, these engines do improve without doing anything, so hang in there. 

Once you are in the "post-1000 mile" stage, you can/should look into rollers. Too much info to list here, but you can make a nice improvement with either Dr. Pulleys and/or heavier/lighter rollers (depending on your preference).  And check/adjust the valves.  Mine were a bit loose and after the adjustment, the engine ran very smooth.

Hang in there, it will get faster and peppier. These Likes are set up to shine in the 40-45 mph range, but I have no issues getting to 55-60 mph and holding 40-45 mph even uphill.  And my only engine "mods" are:

- Air box restriction/removal
- Synthetic Oil
- Dr. Pulleys 14g rollers
- Iridium spark plug (jury still out on whether this has any improvement- I have been using Iridiums for years on a variety of scoots, never had an issue)

Congrats again, be safe.

PS- BTW, by far one of my fav scoots was the Honda Elite 150 Deluxe. OMG what a great engine.  62 mph WITH TWO PEOPLE.  My wife and I (in our much "lighter" days) would hit a highway here and there for a bit and kept up with traffic NO problem.  10 inch wheels and liquid cooled torquey 150cc equals one great ride.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:26:46 PM by kriden »

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:38:03 AM »
kriden, Thanks a lot for the info and pep talk.  It was raining today so I went to the shop and adjusted the valves.  They were too tight.  I also noticed the air restriction on the air box and took out the bellows and restricter.  I expected the plug to be black but it was actually perfect.  So I looked over things under the seat and it looks like a well built scoot.  So I will put on the miles and see what it is all about.  I looked at Honda's scoots before buying this one and felt like I wanted more than a 25 cc bigger engine than the 125 Riva I have been riding.  I really like the feel and low end performance of this Like.  I was looking at the People 300i.  I didn't test ride (you have to sign your life away) but the dealer guy started it and it shook at and idle enough to turn me off.  The mirrors and handle bars were shaking with each rev and I like smooth and quiet.   I didn't want the longer wheel base as most of my driving is putting around a resort area where I live.  If this Like doesn't "float my boat" after a year or so, I will take a look at the People 200i or test drive the People 300i.  I hope the break in period is less restrictive on those ...but I doubt it.  Thanks again kriden.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »
Double-check the tire pressure. Every little bit counts. :)

The 300 cc motor shakes a little bit at idle because it's a bigger single, but it is fairly balanced when you bring up the engine speed and get moving. The Downtown and People GT are a bit bigger than I like for urban riding though.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »
Thanks much for the input.  thesurgeonistherobot  wow...long name!  I pretty mush chose the Like because of it's size.  It's fast enough... I just like to go a little faster no matter how big the engine is.  Thanks again.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()