Author Topic: ZX50 Super Fever Troubles  (Read 9059 times)

solumized

• View Profile
ZX50 Super Fever Troubles
« on: June 23, 2013, 09:17:59 PM »
Hey Guys,

I got a super fever a year ago for free from my girlfriends manager.  He said something was wrong with it when he was riding and when he took it into the shop they said it would cost $400 to replace.  I think he said it was the stator but I could be totally wrong.  Not sure on the year but it only has 5000 k/m on it (I live in Wisconsin so that would be 3,100 miles roughly).

Here's the story.  I pick it up and take it over to my buddies house and the battery is dead.  But we were able to get it running kick starting it. Only problem was when operating and then goosing the throttle it would bog a little, so back off the throttle then if turned slowly would accelerate to top speed just fine.  We figured the carb just needed cleaning.  Waited all winter to start working on bike.  I cleaned out the carb, put it back on, kick started it again and it fired right up (once finally got some fuel into carb).  I drove it around for about 20 minutes putting it through it's passes and again topping out at 40 mph.  Had to go back to my garage to do a couple of things but left it idling for about 3 minutes and decided to go back out.  Took one corner around my house and had to stop for traffic, then the engine died.  I kick started it again and it fired right up but was no throttle response and died again.  Started it one more time and had to have full throttle to keep it running then died again.  I push back to my house to investigate.  I put new oil and new gas (not sure how long old gas was in it and used premium.) Checked for spark and had good spark. 

Here is what I have done since then.  Bought a new battery because was tired of kicking it to start and also, if could get it to run then would know would have to replace stator.  Cleaned out the carb yet again.  Checked the fuel flow and have good flow.  I can't even get the thing started by using starting fluid.  Now I am at a loss.  If anyone has any input as to where I could progress from here that would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the long novel but figured the more info you guys have the better!

Jon

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
Re: ZX50 Super Fever Troubles
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:32:47 PM »
Sounds like you have just fouled the plug. I'd be surprised if there is anything wrong with the stator at all. Remove spark plug, clean and gap, refit, then follow the guide in my 50-60 mph free modification thread... It's the last post regarding air filter cleaning and setting up the air mixture.
You'll need to get the bike running and hot first though.
Keep us posted with how you get on

solumized

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:52:28 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply. My main concern is the fact that it stopped working so abruptly.  I will try what you recommended when I get back from my work trip next week.  I have a service manual for the ZX/Scout 50, would the gapl of .71 for the plug be the same on the super fever?

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »
I tried .71 but seem to get a better result from .9mm

solumized

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 07:00:02 PM »
Update guys:

Got back from my trip  yesterday and figured would try to get thing running again.  I took off the carb and thoroughly cleaned it again. Made sure all openings have flow through them and nothing stuck.  I also took transmission case off to make sure nothing jammed up there and everything was free and belt looked good (besides inside being dirty as hell).  Put everything back together and it started right up and started reving up (carb settings all jacked) but after 10 seconds or so it died out again.  (figured out i forgot to put fuel lines back onto carb. lol  Reattached carb lines and put a little starting fluid in it.  Could turn overs later it started right back up but sputtered dead after like 5 seconds.  Each time I put starting fluid in.  I think it was burning the starting fluid.  Made sure fuel was getting to carb and it was.  Went through overflow tube.  Now can't get it to turn over again.  Keeps wanting to try but nothing going.  I'm thinking maybe the auto-bystarter is bad.  I have good spark and the plug gap is good and wasn't fouled (maybe it is now though).  My first question is, what would be a good setting to put the carb on to get it up and going if that is the problem and do you guys think it could be the by starter, the rectifyer, or the cdi and ways to test for that.

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »
Try turning the larger screw ( fuel ) fully clockwise and then back 1+1/2 turns, the same with the air screw beneath it ( air ) if you can get the machine to fire, get it fully hot before fine tweaking the mixture.
Check also the fuel filter between the tank and the carburettor. Make sure it's clean and allowing fuel to pass through it

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
You should never use starter fluid on a 2 stroke, it doesnt have any oil to lubricate the piston and cylinder, or your bearings. Its a very bad thing to use on a 2 stroke.
If you think your choke is bad, take a little bit of gas thats been premixed and put a couple drops down the spark plug hole ad give it a kick. If it starts up its a bad choke, if nothing then compression issue. With it being summer here you can start most 2 strokes no choke.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

solumized

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:03:41 PM »
Naughty Lee:  I will keep that in mind for starting it next time I try.  It is getting plenty of fuel. Sucked on the vacuum tube and fuel flowed freely through the gas line. 

LoveMyKymco: Thanks for letting me know about starting fluid. I did not know that it was bad for it but it makes sense!

I have a new update for ya'll.  Decided to check spark plug one more time after I tried starting the thing again. And no spark! So that could be why it wasn't running properly.  I already checked all wires and they seem to be fine with nothing cut or exposed.  The loss of spark is something new to the machine as I had spark earlier today because it was running for a second or two now nothing.

solumized

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 01:44:20 AM »
This is just for future reference.  Let's just say that my stator is bad and that is what is wrong (which from reading other posts seems likely).  I have a bunch of amazon gift cards lying around and was looking on there and this is pretty much all I have found for stators closely resembling the one on my ZX50.

http://www.amazon.com/STATOR-MAGNETO-100CC-110CC-ROKETA/dp/B00BRY6WBO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_3

Now by looking at the plug in the picture I can see that it isn't the correct size but I figured would be able to splice old plug onto that one.  Let me know what you think because if I could order this (and other parts) from amazon I would be able to fix this thing up for free, which is also the price I got it for from the original owner! Thank you guys in advance!

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »
Stators don't go bad all that often. The CDI is more likely...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

solumized

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »
Finally got my hands on a mutlimeter so I will check all the electrical components to their specifications in the manual and let you guys know later! Happy 4th to all the Americans out there! Don't blow yourselves up!

solumized

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 06:35:49 PM »
To any of those still following me, I tested the electrical resistances for the stator, the cdi, as well as the iginition coil and plug cap.  I do in fact need a new stator.  I also now need a new ignition coil and plug hood, because as walking around the bike the hood got snagged on my cargo shorts and ripped off.  And now as long as I am at it, I figure I will just get a new CDI as well.  Won't be able to order the parts for a couple more weeks based upon limited funds right now. Thanks for all the insight and will keep you guys informed!

solumized

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 06:54:26 PM »
So in shopping around for a new stator I have noticed I am not too sure which ones to get.  Can I just get this one even though the picture looks different than what I have in my ZX Super Fever?  I wouldn't mind so much as ordering and returning it but they don't accept returns on electrical equipment. 

http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=KYM#/Kymco_USA/ZX50/Front_Cover_%26_Floor_Panel_%26_Inner_Box/2K01120005/01120035

Or if anyone has any better places to pick up a stator that would be greatly appreciated!  I'm just worried about buying the wrong one and being stuck with it.  Thanks guys in advance!

solumized

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 08:44:28 PM »
or would this work also? It's a lot cheaper and it comes with a regulator as well.  It has the correct number of coils and wires but my plug has 4 wires in it with two loose wires and this one has 5 wires in the plug and one loose. I would just have to rewire it.  Sorry if I am being a pain with you guys! It's for a Honda DIO elite but I read somewhere that the engines are pretty much a copy of that engine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/replacement-DIO-stator-regaulator-for-Honda-DIO-Elite-SR50-SA50-SK50-/330950809471?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0e34977f&vxp=mtr

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »
Unfortunately they are not interchangeable but stadium Yamaha is by far the best for oem kymco, tell them you're from here and you should get a 10% discount. I do at least and so did zombie.
If I were home I could take a pic of both but the difference is the place or degree the plug and pick up are located at. You could cut a hole for the plug but the pick up would still be far apart from the other hole for the plug. Just easier to use a kymco one.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()