Author Topic: i have a 50cc scooter. need help on next steps.  (Read 1141 times)

biliferd

• View Profile
i have a 50cc scooter. need help on next steps.
« on: June 24, 2013, 06:39:32 PM »
I bought it about 3 weeks ago. It ran fine for the first week then problems started showing up. It would bog down and go 5 mph or not accelerate at all.

I replaced the carburetor on it it worked for a day. so i changed all the fuel lines cleaned the tank out replaced the fuel filter and the spark plug and changed the oil just for extra measures.

It worked for about 3 days after that. then it started again. i had a repair place check the valves and exhaust and they said it was fine.

At this point i am replacing the throttle cable cause it snapped but i get that part in soon. any advice on what else it could be?

tilstad

• View Profile
Re: i have a 50cc scooter. need help on next steps.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:48:30 AM »
Honestly, it sounds like your out of gas  to me. If you replaced the carb, with a new one (?), then it shouldn't be a clogged main jet, which is often the culprit. A loose battery connection can give similar  symptoms, I've had that happen to me in the past. Check wiring and connections, atleast that's free. Without any more details it would just be a wild guess.

You need to start a troubleshooting process by elimination. There is a good schematic on how to do so in the shop manual for the Kymco people. If you don't have it, I could email it to you. Just send me your email on a PM.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
Honestly, it sounds like your out of gas  to me. If you replaced the carb, with a new one (?), then it shouldn't be a clogged main jet, which is often the culprit.

It would be a clogged main jet if he neglected to clean the tank and lines until after the new carb. My money is on clogged MJ.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 03:40:15 AM »
It would be a clogged main jet if he neglected to clean the tank and lines until after the new carb. My money is on clogged MJ.

He said he cleaned the tank and changed the fuel lines and fuel filter...  ???

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 03:49:04 AM »
After he ran the new carb for a day. Introducing a bunch of trash from the tank into the carb. Maybe he cleaned the carb too. I don't know. I'm just saying that would be the first thing I would do. If the scooter sat for a long time I would almost guarantee there is still gunk in the tank. Just my 2 cents...  :)
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()