Author Topic: 500RI tire question  (Read 2754 times)

enoach

• View Profile
500RI tire question
« on: June 24, 2013, 11:04:23 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum (just found you-all today!) and have a question:

I need new tires for my 500ri and the local shop (I am not near my dealer/usual service shop) has offered 3 options:

Shinko, Michelin, and Pirelli in order of least to most expensive (significant money differences between them) ...I haven't been able to find any comparisons out there. Anybody have any wisdom about the best of those three? and whether the better tire is worth the higher price?

the tires I have now are metzelers and have been fine--but for whatever reason this shop can't get those.

thanks a lot,

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Re: 500RI tire question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:24:35 AM »
Just going off of name recognition alone here is my opinion. Of the two named brands Michelin should be every bit as good as you would need, fire trucks in our area use them exclusively and have for decades. The first brand I've not heard of but if you can find a nice review of them why not save some money and buy them? As for Pirelli's I'm sure they are very good tires, I just can't justify spending all that extra money on them, recently I needed new tires for a pretty nice car I own and I passed on them for that reason alone.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:28 AM »
Lots of guys in this forum use Michelins, I don't because they are expensive for me and there are a lot of alternatives here in our scooter country....

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »
It matters in what kind of weather you will be rideing in also keep in mind wet and slipery roads.
Think save rideing when buying tires. Kenda has a few nice scoot tires and price is fair I use theam on all my scoots.I ride all year so I get tires that can handle all kinds of weather.

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
Thinking back on the purchase of my first replacement tire...  I was half my current age and pretty tight with money.  A local mc shop sold the Cheng Shin at half the price of the american made rubber, so I saved 50 bucks and let them install a rear tire.  They warned me it would be slick for a few miles but being young I pulled out of the parking lot and almost lost it pulling into traffic as the rear slid out from under me.

The release agent on the tire eventually wore off but the handling never improved much, I drove scared for the next 3K until it wore out.  In the meantime I had plenty of opportunity to ask around the mc community about a better tire...  I will never make the same mistake again, there simply is no more important piece of equipment on a vehicle capable of speed than what is used to connect it to the road.

30 years later I have two minivans and a 1 ton utility van, and run two sets of Michelins and one set of BFGoodrich (a Michelin company).  My Xciting will soon be receiving Michelins as well.  YMMV.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »
Just put on a pair of Michelin Power Pure's on and love them.

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »
If my research was correct, the xciting front in the Pierelli Diablo is only available in radial, and the rear in bias.  So that narrowed my choices to Michelin City Grips or Power Pures.  I chose the more Power Pures for the more modern dual compound engineering.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:58:43 PM by CosmoKorny »
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »
Some thoughts:

Tire technology has gotten much better in the last few decades. Cheng Shin or Maxxis make some decent commuter tires today that still grip quite well in the twisties. I went for Michelins instead because my friends sell Michelins and can't stop raving about the technology, and I do like the peace of mind of a reliable, high-tech brand.

Shinko bought the tire recipe and equipment from Yokohama, who exited the motorcycle tire business. They aren't totally unknown.

I bought sticky sport Pirellis for my motorcycle for track days, but I like Michelins sport touring or scooter tires for their wet weather all-season grip.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:07:19 PM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
When it comes time to replace the tires on my GT, it will be Michelins.
I have them on my motorcycle now and have been pleased with them.
I think the scooter tires are City Grip.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 04:21:12 PM »
I always buy good brand name tyres, best to find which one get best reviews online for all round grip. Also if you ride in the rain make sure they perform well in the wet, a lot of cheaper tyres are good enough on dry roads but are really bad on wet ones. Get the make and pattern number/name and just type it into google followed by "review", you should find plenty of info and opinions on each of them.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
Eye candy!

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 10:49:34 PM »
And to keep things in perspective...  7 year old Maxxis with 5K.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 02:35:47 AM »
these kendas are 2 years old.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 05:25:25 AM »
Suprisingly, there are lots of tire brands in Asia that are very good and low priced... I just got a pair of Mizzle tires (made in Indonesia) for just 3,000 pesos, around 69 US Dollars with free installation... These is a very popular brand here famous for its wet performance...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()