Author Topic: Starter relay  (Read 3377 times)

claynine

• View Profile
Starter relay
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »
My starter relay (solenoid) is starting to crap out.  It clicks but doesn't crank the starter about 1 time in 5.  Anybody else having issues?

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: Starter relay
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »
Could it be your battery? I had to replace 2 OEM batteries all within the first 6 months of ownership. Also, make share you are squeezing the handbrake hard enough to activate the safety switch. I find if I don't apply enough pressure it sounds like the starter is going out.

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:32:46 PM »
I can hear the starter relay click (the magnetic coil is activating the armature) but the contactors are not completing the electrical circuit.  They are likely burned and so it takes a couple tries before it makes connection.  The battery cranks over real good when the relay works properly.  Thanks for your thoughts

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:13:16 AM »
I had the exact problem before....I thought it was the relay... turned out to be the battery... it clicks... clicks... clicks... then whiiir... vroom....

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 05:10:38 AM »
When the relay magnet clicks to the "closed " position, I can short across the terminals of the relay and the scooter starts perfect.  The battery works perfect.  It isn't clicking like a relay will do sometimes when the battery is going dead.  The older cars used to do that, but this is a single click that the relay makes when the armature of the relay pulls the switch together.  Thanks for the input.

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 11:15:13 PM »
   is your relay on the neg. side of your battery, on old cars it was on the starter on the pos. side of the battery, just wondering???

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 03:41:49 AM »
I might be lost here....but didn't you just buy this LIKE recently?
Can you take it back to the dealer ? ....we have 2 yrs of warranty on these Kymcos.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 04:09:39 AM »
The starter relay feeds positive current to the starter, just like cars.  The magnetic windings on the starter relay gets negative power through the start switch on the handlebar.  It gets the positive current through the main key switch, then through the fuse, then through the front or rear brake switches (parallel) and finally to the positive post on the starter relay windings.  As far as warranty...I live 300 miles away from the dealer so they said they would get a starter relay on hand for when I do come down that way.  I purchased a 4 pole 12 volt relay on Ebay for under $11 to the door that I believe will work.  In the mean time the original starter relay that came with my Like has been behaving nicely lately.  SO,  I am carrying enough tools under the seat to get it running in a pinch.  Thanks for your interest and input.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »
I have heard of other small scoots with solenoid problems, most people buy a car one
and that fixes it. Low voltage will cause them to arc and pit and sometimes weld themselves
together so the bike will try to start until the battery is dead! Better ones have contacts
that resist pitting but it's hard to tell from the outside so a name brand or one for a tougher
application will usually cure the problem permanently...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Coachz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »
Get the $15 relay off ebay and you'll be back in business.  Mine did the same thing. Replaced it, now rock solid.  This looks like the one.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Scooter-Starter-Solenoid-Relay-For-GY6-50cc-125cc-150cc-Chinese-ATVS-/261087251474?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3cca034c12&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:20:32 PM by Coachz »

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 10:06:20 PM »
Thanks coachz,  I have one coming...Monday.  it looks different from these but I believe it will work.  Silly thing is, the original has been working fine for 2 whole days now.

Coachz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »
You'll be glad when you get it replaced.  Very reliable bike sans solenoids.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()