Author Topic: Adjusting stock Exhaust?  (Read 1958 times)

guile

• View Profile
Adjusting stock Exhaust?
« on: June 26, 2013, 05:17:35 PM »
Is there anyone who knows anything about adjusting the stock exhaust of the X 500? I know you can't just drill holes. Just interested if there's some knowledge out there.

Wiki:

Back pressure in automotive (four-stroke engine) exhaust
Back pressure caused by the exhaust system (consisting of the exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, muffler and connecting pipes) of an automotive four-stroke engine has a negative effect on engine efficiency resulting in a decrease of power output that must be compensated by increasing fuel consumption.
Back pressure in two-stroke engine exhaust

In a two-stroke engine however, a certain amount of exhaust back pressure is needed to prevent unburned fuel/air mixture from passing right through the cylinders into the exhaust.

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: Adjusting stock Exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 03:31:43 AM »
I don't know if you can. Better to look at after market exhaust. Check out ebay for discounts. :-*

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:16:38 AM »
Yes you can throw money at it but my question is about the stock exhaust..
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:07:30 PM by guile »

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »
I have a Like 200i.  With the scoot on the center stand, I cracked the throttle wide open and felt the exhaust.  The exhaust blasts out of that tiny 1/2 inch tail pipe like an air compressor.  I don't know but there must be A LOT of back pressure.  I hope someone answers your question but I have my doubts.  Even the after market exhaust companies I have looked at don't give performance results so I am, as you are, left wondering if there is an inexpensive way to relieve the back pressure while keeping the noise level in check.  Good luck!

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
If you take off the back of the muffler, or cut it out, it will sound like a harley with straight pipes. And I doubt you want that? An after market muffler & or exhaust system is the best way to go. Drilling holes in the rear of the muffler is a one way deal. Unless you can weld, you will have screwed up your stock muffler for life. :-*

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
The stock exhaust is already tuned for low noise and reduced emissions. The back pressure helps generate strong low end to midrange torque.

An aftermarket exhaust makes the gas flow straighter and faster by reducing the number of internal noise dampening baffles, straightening and smoothing exhaust pipes, and leaving out the catalytic converter. High rpm flow improves. Without further tuning to the fuel delivery, the lack of back pressure may reduce low rpm torque!

Guile, what do you want to achieve through 'tuning' the stock exhaust? How do you fast and how hard do you ride your Xciting? Where do you expect improvement?
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:20:27 AM »
I want to achieve more power of course. I max my Xciting as much as possible.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()