Author Topic: speedometer  (Read 1773 times)

modmaster

• I will leave no bike I own stock.
    • View Profile
speedometer
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:35:16 PM »
Does anyone elses speedometer seem to jump up or down by three mph instead of increments of 1 mph every time the number changes? It seems to do it at random speeds not always the same places. Could it need to have the cable lubricated. Just wondering if it's supposed to be like that. Doesn't seem right.

modmaster

Fogie

• View Profile
Re: speedometer
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »
I have always assumed it's a digital instrument; that is, it counts speed-related impulses from a source (I haven't looked to see if it's a cable or an electronic source) and displays the speed at set intervals (perhaps once a second). Since the speed can change by several MPH/KPH during an interval, it appears to jump by several units each time it's displayed.
2012 Kymco Frost (Yager) 200i - Toronto, Canada

modmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:05:35 PM »
The cable is attached to the left side of the front wheel. I was just wondering if everyone elses scooter reacts the same erratic way. I don't expect all that much for the $3000.00 I paid for it. Thanks for your consideration of it anyway.

modmaster

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 03:42:49 AM »
Check the tuning wheel and speed sensor for dirt or other stuff...

modmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 03:56:14 AM »
Will do.

modmaster

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:07:24 PM »
Sorry it took so long to read this post. My Yager speedo drove me NUTS with that 3 mph deal. It shows speed in 1 mph increments when accel or decel. Once you stabilize at your chosen speed for a few seconds it goes into this 3 mph routine. It is my opinion that Kymco did this to stabilize the speedo readout so it would not "bug" the rider by constantly changing. 3 mph masks the trend in speed so you really don't know you are either slowing or accelerating and then all of a sudden you are really slow or fast. Makes it tough for someone to try to maintain formation on you if you are leader.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()