Author Topic: when to do first oil & gear oil change  (Read 2478 times)

stammer1

• View Profile
when to do first oil & gear oil change
« on: June 29, 2013, 09:51:18 PM »
Hello Scooterheads!   I'm fairly new to the scooter world, recently just brought 300gti. Manual says change oil around 600 miles. I have 350 miles on it now. Do I wait till then or a little sooner or after.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: when to do first oil & gear oil change
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »
If you do it at 600 miles you're all set according to Kymco but some people like to
change it earlier just to get the metal flakes out that might get caught in the wrong
place. I changed mine at 130 miles then again at 250. It looked good at 250 so probably
one early change is good. I used straight 30W oil as that's better for top end break in...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:40:12 PM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:56:56 PM »
I would follow the manual.  Kymco has the time and expertise to figure the the service schedule.
But then, I'd rather ride than work on a scooter.

scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

kymcoholic

• Kymco Parts shipped Worldwide !
    • View Profile
    • KymcoGenuineParts.com
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:01:01 PM »
I would strongly suggest you stick to the Factory guidelines, after all who knows your Kymco better than the guys who built it !
Changing your oil before the recomended interval may result in metal particles being left behind....yikes !
Its the heating and cooling of the engine during the breakin period that unsticks the metal shavings left behind from machining process, however once suspended they can be easily be removed by draining the oil at the recomended interval.....now carry on and enjoy the ride !

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 01:34:58 AM »
Have also read that you need to get that stuff out of there ASAP - putting in your own premium oils.
This assumes, I guess, that Kymco is sending these scoots out into the world with inferior oils in there.

I don't think that is true (even though my VIN indicates my scoot was made in China, with Kymco watching over the whole process - I hope) - but all the comments made me nervous - so I changed the engine and gear oil with premium stuff recommended by my dealer's service boss.  I did it at 70 miles. (and again at 200, 400, 750 and 1200 miles - and heard some comments about wearing out the alloy oil drain plug threads. Well, just don't muscle things and remember we are working with soft alloys here. I use soft crush washers, no leaks and don't risk overtightening anything.)
One - it can't hurt.
Two - makes you feel good putting clean stuff in your scoot.
Three - you will hear lots of advice - so...     take it easy during the break-in period as per the manual
Mainly - Ride safe!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:59:08 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 01:21:38 AM »
The adjustment on the rear shock is mainly to account for the weight of the riders(s) and gear.

With automatic chokes for carbs and fuel injection there is little need to ever let the engine warm up  as we do with older engines.

After 15 sec to get the oil flowing, I'd be ready to ride off .... but not to pull wheelies.

Scoot Safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
Regarding Gear Oil... Gear oil doesn't get contaminated the way engine oil does and can practically last a lifetime... however.

I highly recommend draining the gear oil into a container with measurement marks in cc's to verify that:
1. correct amount of gear oil was present - not to much or too little.  To little might mean you have a leak.  Most final drives don't have a dipstick or way to determine the oil level.

2. Inspect for metal shavings.  You might have some but it should not be excessive.

If you don't have a container with markings you can mark a regular container by pouring water into it and using a magic marker.

While it is unlikely you have a leak or any other problem the final drive gears are very expensive. 
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()