Author Topic: Finding TDC for Valve Adjustment LIKE 200i  (Read 2238 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Finding TDC for Valve Adjustment LIKE 200i
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:27:43 AM »
No panels have to be removed to access the top-dead-center timing mark for setting the valve lash on a LIKE 200i.
This is a more accurate method of finding TDC - rather than eyeballing the alignment of the camshaft sprocket's 3 holes on the edge of the cylinder head.
Remove the rubber timing plug from the uppr left of the fan cover.
Insert 14mm socket into fan cover center, turn cloclwise, look in the hole and  watch for the "T" timing mark to come around (use flashlight)

We are setting the valve lash gap at .004 inches, so a bit of precision is warranted.

The first photo is from the on-line manual - and you can see the "T" and the timing mark hash-line just above it, albeit very faintly.
The second photo is the T mark on my LIKE 200i. It took me 20 mins to find it because it is so faintly stamped into the metal.
The straight line above the T is to align in the crotch of the stationary V above it - this then is top-dead-center.
 Remember- if you feel NO movement in the valve tappets - you need to rotate the engine clock-wise 360 degrees, until the T aligns again AND you can feel a bit of movement in the valves when you pull on them with your fingers.

Those holes on the cam sprocket (the thing with the mini-bicycle-like chain around it) should be aligned as instructed, also. (2 small holes on the edge of the cylinder head, big hole straight up)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:38:10 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Finding TDC for Valve Adjustment LIKE 200i
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:30:26 AM »
more photos
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:44:58 PM »
Awesome info, thanks! Planning on adjusting my valves tonight, I'll try it this way, seems much easier than doing the reach around.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:54:59 PM »
from the on-line manual....
When you have top-dead-center (TDC) the 3 holes on the sprocket should align with the edge of engine like this.......
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:55:06 AM »
I used the three hole method of your last post. It was very easy to do. I seem to remember you are only supposed to turn it one direction. I don't remember which way, but I plan on just following the Kymco Like 200i valve adjustment video on YouTube again. That made it so easy to do.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

barryparks03

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »
I used the three hole method of your last post. It was very easy to do. I seem to remember you are only supposed to turn it one direction. I don't remember which way, but I plan on just following the Kymco Like 200i valve adjustment video on YouTube again. That made it so easy to do.
Clock-wise rotation

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()