Author Topic: 2009 Granvdvista questions before buying  (Read 5199 times)

MongooseDog

• View Profile
2009 Granvdvista questions before buying
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
First of I am new here and new to the skoot world. I want to get my g/f one for here birthday / our anniversary. I found a 2009 with 8500 miles on it with the fancy trunk add on and a tall windscreen. They are asking $1200 o.b.o. My main questions are, is this a good deal and can a 5'4" female easily use it? We don't have any local skoot dealers and with our job hours can't really get out of town to test one. Any opinions are super welcome. Thanks in advance for any advise.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Re: 2009 Granvdvista questions before buying
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »
$1,200? That is a very good price, almost "too good to be true".   Honestly, what's wrong with it..?   ;D  Was it laid down and has some body scratches?  That price would still be good if it was even a 2004 model.  So be sure they are not hiding something from you that later bites you with an expensive repair.

MongooseDog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »
Yeah. I am compiling a list of questions for when I talk to him today. What is some important things i should inquire about?

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 06:37:52 PM »
  • Ask for any legitimate service records (oil changes, valve adjustment)
  • What is the history of this scooter
  • What's the mpg  (needs to be between 58 and 70 mpg to show health of engine)
  • What is the top speed (needs to be up to 90 mph speedometer/80mph GPS) to show health
  • Take the dipstick out and look at the level (wipe of, reinsert, but don't screw in).  if it is low, no good sign. May mean engine rebuild.
  • SMELL the dip stick.  If the oil smells "harsh//sharp" like carbon, it burns too much oil; see above
  • Listen to noises of engine and transmission on center stand at 3000 rpm, 4000 rpm; there can be a "belt slap" in idle ONLY 1000/2000 rpm, (like "tap, tap") that does not concern me; but there should be no bad mechanical noises at higher rpm.
Check tires tread depth; that can cost you $150-200  to replace both (rear labor intensive)[/li][/list]
If Body is damaged, the parts are not very expensive, but still, depends how much is damaged; some road rash can be touched up[/li]
[/list]

The price is low.  Usually a good deal on a  2009 with that mileage would be $1500-1700 in nice condition, so take this in consideration.  You can always let a scooter shop check it out, even if you have to pay them a few bux to do so; worth it.

MongooseDog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 07:13:36 PM »
Hey, thanks a ton. I know it has new tires and a new battery.

I am waiting to see more pics to see if there is any real body damage. I will post them when I get them.
I am a crotch rocket guy and no nothing of scooter. The lady is kinda getting excited though so I need to make sure everything is ok.

Again thanks for the help.

Also found a site that you can order all the OEM parts from so that makes me even happier.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:52:18 PM by MongooseDog »

scooterbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:51:14 PM »
Also, ask why are they selling it?  Do have they another one, moving, etc.  The 2009 that I bought last week...that was the first thing I asked especially since it had a little over 3000 miles.  The owner and his wife were moving back to to their home country.  Again, I would want to know too why so cheap with that mileage.  Please keep us posted!

Renee

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 01:25:58 AM »
Yes, the GV250 should be good for a small person.  I am about 5'4" and 125 lbs, and an over 60 female.
I have no problem with the scooter in street situations.  My feet are almost flat footed.
Only problems arise when riding over the back yard to park my scooter.
The yard is not smooth, so my progress is jerky, but without mishap.

It sounds like a good purchase.  I've only 3k miles on mine, all without any problems.

scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

MongooseDog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »
As of now, I have not heard back. Sent a follow up email but still nothing. Here's hoping I will hear from him today.

MongooseDog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »
Well finally got to talk to the people. The reason for selling was the lady had a hip replacement and can no longer ride. It just got it's scheduled check-up from their scooter shop. The "damage" was just minor scratches. New battery and tires. I am super excited. My g/f is ecstatic. Also we settled on $1000. I will hopefully be going to get it this weekend. 

I spoke to the local kymco guy today and he said he would run compression test for $35. Hope that's good.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 09:12:55 PM »
Good Deal..  And nice to have a local Kymco dealer, especially one that is willing to work at a reasonable rate.
No reason to expect a bad compression test.  I hope he puts in a new spark plug at the same time and you should be
fixed up for 3k-5k miles except for the oil changes.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
Seems you got a "steal"...  Congrats!  Even as a Sportsbike guy your GF and you will enjoy it!  Enjoy!

scooterbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 02:53:55 AM »
That is great news for you and girlfriend - you guys made out with that price, wow!  I'm 5'4 too and I am loving my White GV and I know your girlfriend will too.  Congratulations, share pics when you can:-)

MongooseDog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »
Well we just found out that they sold it out from under us. Oh well. I guess we will wait to see on this Honda reflex.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »
Too bad.

We found the Reflex to be a much bigger feeling scooter.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 11:25:17 PM »
 :(   Well, I thought it was almost "too good to be true..."   Not nice of the seller either, but remember for the future, always put a deposit down as quickly as you can, e.g  via PayPal if you can't get there physically....  If they break it you have legally a case against them.

Beware of Reflex: can be very expensive if something is wrong.  Add at least 50% to Kymco parts prices
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:33:31 AM by windwheeler »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()