Author Topic: Brake upgrades?  (Read 2154 times)

OtoHNS

• View Profile
Brake upgrades?
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:00:30 AM »
Does anyone know whether there are upgrades to the brakes?
Better brake pads, lines, etc?

My ZX (just picked it up 2 days ago) is bone stoke and can only get to 30 mph (CDI modification and new variator coming) but I'm more concerned about the total lack of braking power that I feel the scooter suffers from.

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Brake upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:38:05 AM »
Strange!  Mine has always had excellent braking with the stock pads.  I believe that Malossi makes aftermarket pads for them though.  I haven't verified 100% that they are the correct ones, but provoscooter.com has them $25 and in stock.  I have ordered from them a couple times and seem to be good to deal with.

OtoHNS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 04:07:25 AM »
Thanks for sharing the information.
It may just be that I'm not used to the braking ability of scooters.
Still, it would be nice to get a little more braking power.
I bought a scooter that had literally been sitting for the last 6 months so I'm going to do an overall clean and reassemble before I start buying replacement parts.  But it definitely helps to have some input and direction.   :)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing the information.
It may just be that I'm not used to the braking ability of scooters.
Still, it would be nice to get a little more braking power.
I bought a scooter that had literally been sitting for the last 6 months so I'm going to do an overall clean and reassemble before I start buying replacement parts.  But it definitely helps to have some input and direction.   :)

First upgrade to be done is change of oil in the braking system. It does not take more than 5 minutes.
Brake oil tends to accumulate moisture over the time and impair performance.

Yet, small Kymcos do not have exactly the best brakes. I do not know if you have ever tried brakes on Piaggio, Aprilia or Gilera 50 cc. They almost feel as sports bikes brakes. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

OtoHNS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:54:18 PM »
I agree about changing the brake fluid oil - that was exactly what I was going to do next.

I have never tried braking on some of the other scooters, but the thought of having sportbike like braking ability on a scooter sounds great.  I may have to customize some sort of braking system if I ever get the time to do so.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()