Author Topic: People 150 Stalling at Random  (Read 890 times)

beemer24

• View Profile
People 150 Stalling at Random
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and have been searching for an answer to my problem so I finally decided to join the group and ask myself.  I have a '08 People 150 that I bought used on Craigslist just over one year ago.  The scoot ran perfectly for almost exactly one year.  Then everything went downhill.  One afternoon while riding home the fan just kept running after I cut off the engine.  Key was out of the ignition and everything, but fan kept running for about another 2 full minutes before it finally clicked off.  Scooter was completely dead after that and I had to tow it home.  I charged my battery and it started up fine, but I went ahead and replaced the battery anyway.  It started up fine and ran better than ever.  Then a few days later it stalled on me while idling at a redlight.  I was able to start it right back up and carry on with no problems.  A few days after that it stalled again at about 30 mph.  I could not get it to restart so I caught a ride to work and went back after work, and the scoot started up no problem and got me home about 5 minutes away.  On advice of friends with scoots and motorcycles, I replaced the spark plug and the starter solenoid, and checked the air filter, which wasn't clogged at all.  After replacing the spark plug and solenoid, the scoot again ran better than ever for a couple of days.  Then the random stalling out happened again.  I finally quit riding because it was so unreliable.  I called a local dealer who told me not to bring it there because they would charge me too much, and the local motorcycle shop doesn't want to mess with it, so I've downloaded a manual and tried to troubleshoot the rest myself.  Today I removed the fuel tank, thinking it could be a clogged fuel filter.  The filter looks clean to me and I ran water through it no problem so I don't think that's it (don't worry, I'll let it dry completely before reinstalling).

So now I've done air, spark, and fuel...what's left for this kind of issue?  I read on one forum that a guy tracked down a similar problem to a CDI module that was overheating, but I have no idea how to check that, and I'm not sure I want to reassemble my fuel tank and all the lines without replacing the fuel tap and filter just in case that is the problem.  I've also read about the voltage regulator but this doesn't seem to be an electrical problem.  I've also disconnected and cleaned the carburetor, but maybe I should just replace that whole part?  Any other ideas?  Thanks!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: People 150 Stalling at Random
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:24:35 PM »
Found this discussion.
Cast around the scooter forums -you aren't the first to have these kinds o issues.
Keep us posted - we  all learn from this stuff!
http://scooterdoc.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=150cc&thread=3565&page=2
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()