Author Topic: Has anyone modified the seat on the 200i?  (Read 2145 times)

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Has anyone modified the seat on the 200i?
« on: July 07, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »
I am looking to buy my first scooter and have been looking at the Like 200i as well as the Genuine Buddy 170i. I got a chance to sit on both and I am really leaning towards the Like. My only problem is the seat. To be blunt, this is one really uncomfortable seat. I was wondering if anyone has done any modifications to there seat and how it worked out? Also, how much did you have to spend to have it done? Any info here would be much appreciated.
    Thanks everyone and be safe, mscmkr

JOB

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone modified the seat on the 200i?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »
Mscmkr, I modified mine. I removed the cover and reshaped the stock foam. I used a dremel tool to remove the center section of the seat base to get rid of the plastic reinforcing hump and then I installed a flat metal plate to support the foam. I used 1 and 1/2 inch memory foam glued to the stock foam and then shaped with a rotary wire brush on a drill. The vynl cover was not seamed so I used a heavier marine grade of vynl to replace it. Stretching the fabric was harder than I thought it would be, but it looks good. See attached pic.  I have put a couple hundred miles on it and the seat is much improved. If I was to do it again I would use the same weight vynl as stock and I would use 2 inch memory foam. I got the memory foam at Warmart in a mattres pad. Jeff

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 12:02:27 AM »
I bought a spare LIKE seat off of eBay awhile ago - I plan to take it to a motorcycle reupholsterer to have it re-worked. (you think that LIKE seat is uncomfortable in the showroom, try it for an hour of riding~!)
I asked around and found 2 supposedly good places to do the work - price was quoted in the $100-$150 range.
I will be wanting that plastic base cut, padding added to the width and to the top, where I sit....and a very nice cover (stitched?) over the seat.
Too much going on right now - but it isn't going to be too much longer before I get it done.
Will report back then.
The LIKE 200i seems to be a pretty good scooter - but the seat is made  for smaller, lighter framed guys, I guess.
There are videos on youtube for motorcycle seat re-dos - I might do the foam myself - then take it in to have a pro recover it with the proper cycle seat material.
Will talk with a pro and see if there are special types of foam to use.
The seat IS an issue for a number of us LIKE riders!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 12:17:02 AM »
I have found that the kymco seats are as a general rule " firm" to say the least.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:50:37 AM »
There is one listed on Ebay right now, if you want to purchase one for experimental purposes.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:12:58 PM »
There is one listed on Ebay right now, if you want to purchase one for experimental purposes.

There are a couple of Kymco seats on ebay.....but did not see one for sale (or recently completed) which is from or would fit a LIKE scooter.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »
KYMCO SCOTER USED SEAT LIKE 200I ALL YEARS BROWN

Ebay
Item number:   380660199576

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:47:36 PM »
KYMCO SCOTER USED SEAT LIKE 200I ALL YEARS BROWN

Ebay
Item number:   380660199576

quote]

So sorry, you are of course correct - my mistake was searching "Kymco Scooter Seat"
 I forgot this Russian spelling............explains why it has the bullet hole in the front.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:52:14 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()