Author Topic: How do I get that spark plug out?  (Read 3222 times)

exhalent99

• View Profile
How do I get that spark plug out?
« on: July 09, 2013, 01:30:57 AM »
Never mind my derp moment.  How embarassing...anyone know the size of the plug socket to use? Since I parked for the night I know I'd normally just trial and error till I got the proper fit.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:10:26 AM by exhalent99 »
I Like you.  Do you Like me?

claynine

• View Profile
Re: How do I get that spark plug out?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 02:11:28 AM »
It takes a 3/4 " or possibly 13/16" deep well socket.  After you pull the spark plug cap off, then the socket goes into the hole and fits over the spark plug.  Turn it counter clockwise.  When tightening back up, to not over tighten.  You can strip the threads.  Just snug it down if you don't have a torque wrench.

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 02:35:43 AM »
It takes a 3/4 " or possibly 13/16" deep well socket.  After you pull the spark plug cap off, then the socket goes into the hole and fits over the spark plug.  Turn it counter clockwise.  When tightening back up, to not over tighten.  You can strip the threads.  Just snug it down if you don't have a torque wrench.

Thanks!  I only have the 13/16" of those two but I'm optimstic.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:15:42 AM »
I would have swore it was a 5/8ths.
Not sure I ever looked, just used the one that fit my new plug in  hand!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
Hello, I'm at work but I went to my scoot and pulled out my spare plug.
It is 5/8ths.

Do make certain you use a spark plug socket - so that thing doesn't come off and drop into that cooling jacket - but maybe wouldn't be too hard to get out - I will NOT try an experiment. ( I dropped one in a VW beetle some time ago, it is still rattling around in there to this day.)
And I did measure the LIKE shock -- it is 13" center-eye-to-eye. 10mm top bolt, 8mm bottom.
....well, my turn to roll the big rock....
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:29:04 PM »
Hello, I'm at work but I went to my scoot and pulled out my spare plug.
It is 5/8ths.

Do make certain you use a spark plug socket - so that thing doesn't come off and drop into that cooling jacket - but maybe wouldn't be too hard to get out - I will NOT try an experiment. ( I dropped one in a VW beetle some time ago, it is still rattling around in there to this day.)
And I did measure the LIKE shock -- it is 13" center-eye-to-eye. 10mm top bolt, 8mm bottom.
....well, my turn to roll the big rock....

Thanks, 5/8ths is the only other plug socket I have in the set anyway so I guess those are the two standards.

Thanks for measuring that shock too, let us know where you order new ones from.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
Most of these scoots use metric plugs. I just measured my stock plug at 18mm.
(That's just under 3/4").
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »
Also when changing the plug make sure the motor is cool.  Changing the plug with a hot motor can cause the threads in the head to come out or easily strip them out since the head is aluminum. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 03:41:20 AM »
Most of these scoots use metric plugs. I just measured my stock plug at 18mm.
(That's just under 3/4").

Yeah the 5/8ths fit perfect, that is also just under 3/4 right?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 01:21:28 AM »
Are you putting in an iridium plug?
If, so, findings please.
My Tech Tach came today - will hook it up to see where my scooter engine is when I'm riding.
Also wanted it to see what happens (the differences in RPM at various speeds) when I put in the Dr Pulley weights.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:42:01 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 02:12:22 AM »
I was just cleaning my stick plug.  It was kinda dirty but the ceramic was nicely colored light brown.  I will try out the iridium plug this week.

In regards to the roller weights, are you going heavier or lighter?

I have read in a few places that you should change your clutch spring when you change the weights . ie a heavier spring for heavier weights.  It is a question of balancing the system as a whole.

When you're in the variator can you check to see if theres a restrictor washer that stops the slide at a certain point. I didnt see it on the schematic but it doesnt show the airbox plug either...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 03:02:34 AM »
I was just cleaning my stick plug.  It was kinda dirty but the ceramic was nicely colored light brown.  I will try out the iridium plug this week.

I have read in a few places that you should change your clutch spring when you change the weights . ie a heavier spring for heavier weights.  It is a question of balancing the system as a whole.

When you're in the variator can you check to see if theres a restrictor washer that stops the slide at a certain point. I didnt see it on the schematic but it doesnt show the airbox plug either...

I was thinking those restrictor washers were only in the 50cc engines. (to keep them under 30mph) - I surely don't need any more speed - and won't go looking for it.But I don't think they are in a LIKE 200i.
I have 2 sets of Dr Pulleys......13gr and 14gr.  Our stock weight is 13.5gr?? I think.
Not wanting to make any big changes, just smooth things out a bit. I am happy with the way this scoot runs......but if there is a 'smoother pulling LIKE' in those Dr Pulley packets.....I'd be OK with that. If not - OK, will keep all for spares. Still hoping to get the seat in for a re-make.....and will live with the shocks for a while yet. Going to visit a Vespa & SYM dealer tomorrow - see what they say.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »
Oh yeah, that makes sense.

Let us know how the different weights affect riding, stay safe!

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 11:24:56 PM »

I just purchased an assortment of rollers in different size for my Like.  When I take it apart, I will be looking to see if there is a restrictor washer in there as I am looking for a higher top speed so I can cruise at 60 without being at full throttle, hopefully!!  I'll post up what I find, but I do not know when that will be. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »
I think most of us feel that there may be some restriction.  It would be nice if it were as simple as a washer.

In the case that it is programmed in the computer our options are limited.  I have a riding buddy who owns a pda that he's used with his truck's engine, I wonder if its just a matter of downloading the program from kymco and installing it to the pda. I wonder if theres an app for android or even linux where you coukd use a smartphone or even a laptop...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()