Author Topic: Is your ride your main means of transport?  (Read 3024 times)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Is your ride your main means of transport?
« on: July 10, 2013, 12:43:08 PM »
The other night my girlfriend asked me to go and buy a few things for her.  I jumped on the bike and zipped up to the store only to realize I didn't have the storage for everything she wanted me to get.  ::)  ::)  BUT it did bring up a good question...how many of you use your scooter as your main - or only source - of transportation? 

I'm defining that as using your bike for more than 50% of your commute to work, going out on dates, going to the store.  In other words,  are you riding for more than 50% of your daily life?  I realized that I did.   :o

http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2013/07/well-it-seemed-like-good-idea-at.html
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
Re: Is your ride your main means of transport?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »
I use mine for pleasure only, but I'm a fairly new rider.  I haven't even gotten my license yet.  Hope to do that on the 25th.  :)
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 05:00:05 PM »
I've ridden probably 75-80% of the time. all errands, all work travel, regardless of the weather. the only time I seem to be in my car is when I may do something with family. I've bought to many groceries, but made due with the bag hook and plenty of deck space. I've delivered 100lbs off oil dry by placing it where my feet would go. I delivered it 20 miles away. I no longer think"can I do this?", I just get it done. btw: my wife has a van for her and the kids. I purposely got rid of my car and stick with only a scooter. people call me nuts all the time, but I accept that :-)

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »
As much as I can all year long. About the only time I don't is when the ice is really bad on the roads in the winter or need to go some where with the wife.

maxhush

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:14:45 PM »
I find for carrying some stuff from the grocery, that a cargo net and my large cooler bag (which I attach with the net after I load it with frozen and fridge items) help a lot (I don't have a top case as yet). And yeah, that hook and the floor space in the front help a lot too (as does a cloth bag I got for like a dollar at Dollar General, which I put the plastic shopping bags inside). More than once I've had people watch the process after I grocery shop and then come up after I have everything loaded to tell me that they couldn't see how I was going to be able to carry all that stuff before I had it all stowed. The rotissarie chicken goes under the seat (double plastic bagged in case it leaks), when I get one, to stay warm.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:17:39 PM by maxhush »
2013 Kymco Downtown 300i
2010 Honda SH150i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 11:14:10 PM »
I was doing OK, driving my VW to work everyday, paying my bills, taking care of the family, keeping my yard mowed.
Then I accompanied my son to the local motorcycle dealer.
Over in the corner of the showroom floor I happened upon the prettiest little Honda Metropolitan and Yamaha Vino. Retro scooters! Down the way were a pair of Kymco LIKE 200i's. Cool! New scooters that looked like old ones!

A month later my mechanic tells me the 24 yr old VW needs nearly $1000 work to get it back on the road (this, on a $500 car)
"You know what?" I told my mechanic. Don't do anything to it, I have a better idea.

I studied the book, passed the test -went to the motorcycle dealership and threw down some $ on the desk and told them to deliver the LIKE 200i LX to my house.
Deliver? Heck yes, I don't know how to drive one of those things, but I've always wanted one.
I learned to ride it in the cold, now I'm learning some more in the rains.
Taking my 2 day safety class tomorrow with my son.
Waiting for the VW to sell, and having a blast riding this Kymco.
When it snows?.....Don't know, but I'll think of something (Snow tires?)
Haven't slept-in one single morning since that scoot arrived 1400 miles ago -best time to ride is before the cars wake up!
(yeah, OK, there's a pair of pretty nice Scion xBs inthe garage - for emergencies, like if Canada invades.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:19:36 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 11:35:11 PM »
Not my main mode of transportation unfortunately.  My wife is only now starting to consider riding two up to go on dates.  I will use it for errands, unless my wife is along....she buys too much.  And I drive it to work every day that I can.  I won't drive on ice or snow and try to avoid rain.  I also don't ride if there are thunderstorms....I've seen what lightning does to the human body, and it ain't pretty.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 11:38:53 PM »
Lol.

No.

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 02:01:50 AM »
High School               -    car
College                      -    car
Work 1983 - 2010      -    car
Work 2011 - present  -  scooter every day

I use the car on long family trips.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 03:24:08 AM »
Wanda's my vehicle. My other vehicle has laces.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »
  I'm retired and work part time 3 days a week. When the weather permits, I ride my scooter 100% of the time. My car is 3 years old and only has 15,000 miles on it.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
I am retired and ride as weather permits.  I do not like to ride in the rain, but I do have a rain suit in case I get caught in it.

This shot is when the wife and I rode a pair of 50cc Honda Ruckus on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Another shot, waiting under an overpass for the rain to stop.  This is the wife...
2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 01:42:00 AM »
I have been rideing scoots sense I was 15 I am now 53 I ride all year. I never had a license for a car only a moped license. If I need to get stuff from a store I hook up a trailer and go.Now if I was to go out on a date She would drive.

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 01:51:49 AM »
I consider my scoot my main transportation except for bad weather, or I have to carry too much stuff with me or I have to transport the granddaughter. Otherwise I ride it to work, for errands or for fun.

When we moved to our present house 5 years ago, we actually dropped down to one vehicle since my wife and I live close to our jobs - 2 miles to hers and 4 to mine. We shared the minivan for a couple of years, then I got the bright idea for a scooter, having never ridden before. I bought a used Chinese 150, which had some electrical problems and upgraded to my Grand Vista 250, which I love. I've had it 2 years and have over 7,000 miles on it. I still get excited about riding.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 02:32:14 PM »
weather permitting yes, I use it for work everyday, on runs to the store for small items etc.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()