Author Topic: Real honesty about there Like 200i please  (Read 9881 times)

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Real honesty about there Like 200i please
« on: July 11, 2013, 12:59:31 AM »
I am FINNALY about to take the plunge and buy my first scooter. This is something I have been thinking about and considering for 5 years now. Ever since I went to Manhattan and watched all the people there having a blast cruising around the city. After doing a great deal of research on the Buddy 170i and, (because of the awsome people on here) the Like 200i, I have just about decided on the Kymco.
     My question for everyone is, does anyone regret buying the Like 200i? And if so, for what reason? Also, how reliable are these scooters really? I'm not a wrenching kind of guy, well not yet at least, so I do want a scooter that is very reliable and something that if I take good care of will keep right on running for years to come. Brutal bluntness will be GREATLY appreciated!
      I have to say, I'm so glad you folks are here and are such a great group of people. I didn't even know about the Like until about 2 weeks ago when I found this website.
      Thanks so much for all the great info and be safe everyone, mscmkr

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Real honesty about there Like 200i please
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 01:33:03 AM »
Hoo boy - you asked THE question!
Seriously --- I think you are in great shape!

Why, because I don't think you can go wrong with either of the two scooters you've settled on!
I think a month, or a year, after you buy either of these two scooters you will be happy with your choice!
I've read the reviews for the Buddy 170i - surely you've investigated both scooters - so you are hearing good things about both of them.
My choice of the Kymco was easy in some respects, because the Kymco dealer is nearby, and the Buddy dealer is not.

Perhaps it will come down to which dealer you would be most comfortable with, if it is the same dealer for both scoots -that decision was made simple for you!
Which scooter has the best servicing fees for standard maintenance (Valve adjustments, oil changes, etc.) : or the best prices on the things that most quickly wear out on a scooter, or parts availability ? (though I've never heard of a problem with getting Buddy parts, and I find it easy to get parts for my Kymco - not that I've needed any - just stocking up on things for the future)

Anyway, I'm very happy with my Kymco LIKE 200i LX - but I'm also pretty sure I'd be just as happy with a Genuine Buddy 170i (love that fuel injection on my LIKE,too!)

You really have picked 2 very good scooters! You'll be a happy person as soon as you own and start riding either one!!
See picture of a happy Kymco 200i LX owner, at sunrise. (can't sleep-in when you have a scooter! Sorry for the attire, yes that's my jammy shirt. In a hurry to get on my scooter..... Most scooter riders are better dressers than this!)

Either way - please report back and tell us what you decided - and then give us an owner's report after you get some miles on it!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:40:11 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:47:55 AM »
Hey Stig, thanks so much for the fast reply and all the great info. I will have to say, your the reason I started looking at the Like 200i in the first place. I saw a picture of your scoot and thought it had great styling and just a great look so I started checking them out. Up until then it had been nothing but Genuine for me for months. I may be buying one this weekend that's why the blunt questions. So glad this site is here. Great info and good people.
   Thanks again Stig and be safe, mscmkr

JOB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:52:13 AM »
Mscmkr, I have had my Like 200i for over a year and I now have just under 5,000 miles on it. It is a joy to ride and other than normal service I haven't had to do any repairs on it. I have redone the seat adding 1 1/2" of memory foam and reshaping the seat and seat base to remove pain full obstructions. I have made a few modifications from reports on this site that have given me at least a few extra miles per hour. At this time I am happy with the performance and economy of the Like, with the seat redo I can now ride over a 100 miles without any discomfort. I would buy this bike again, especially at the $2499 price I paid. If I had had more to spend originally I would have bought one of the Kymco 300's for the extra speed and carrying capacity. My top speed is about 62-64 and I weigh about 220 lbs. I wish you luck with whichever bike you chose. Jeff

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:54:06 AM »
Mscmkr:  Go get the Like! All the scooter needs is some TLC and proper maintenance...

Here are some bluntness about my Kymco Super 8...

1. A loose nut/bolt or two when new... but not on critical areas..
2. Slippery OEM tires... but they last
3. Inferior OEM battery... as expected with most vehicles anyway...
4.  Hmmmm.... I guess that's it... I tighten those bolts, replaced those tires after 2 years, and upgraded to a bigger battery...

No regrets...

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 02:04:24 AM »
Pros;

Gets up to speed quickly, well, up to about 50 mph that is
GREAT throttle response
very nimble
starts easily because of fuel injection
nice amount of storage, but I did add saddle bags to increase the storage even more on mine

Cons;

No kick start so if your battery dies, you're stuck.
slow to get to top speed, but then again every scoot is slow to get to top speed
top speed is typically 60 mph, it should be faster and feels like it could go faster but is being limited in some way
slippery stock tires in the wet

I have 1300 miles on my Like and it is in the shop right now, but simply because the clutch suddenly felt different which may be it finally broke in, but I'm getting it checked out just in case.  Besides that and the rear brake slowly bleeding down when it sits up, I've had zero problems.  I ride it hard too, REALLY hard.  A majority of my riding is at full throttle.  Yeah, I probably should have gotten a bigger scoot, but for what it is and how much I paid, I can't really complain too much!! 
2012 Like 200i  in black

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 02:12:58 AM »
A fuel injected engine can't be kick started because it needs the battery to run the fuel pump. 

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 02:31:59 AM »
kymco scooters kick ass. my scooter apparently still ran after being totaled from a rear end collision. theyre engines are really bullet proof and will last forever, provided you do regular maintenance. for the price, all of their scooters are an absolute steal,imo. also, I'm not mechanically inclined either, but maintenance is so simple that you realize the hardest part is actually just trying it for yourself. then you realize that you shouldnt be so nervous to begin with. keep us all posted.

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 06:12:11 AM »
Both scoots are comparable, but I think the Like is a little bigger, comes with a trunk, has disc brakes in front AND rear, and the glove box has a 12v power outlet.

My blunt opinion of my own bike is biased if course.

The only issue I had with my bike was one of my rear shocks needed tweaking as it came undone on the inside.

I think every owner of any vehicle has experienced some unexpected failure or annoyance that is easy to fix or covered immediately by the dealer.  If we assume both of your choice bikes are 100% with no quirks then the Like 200i wins.

I dont even have a problem with the seat, at 5'11" and 175 lbs I can ride all day. I really thought I'd have made the mod(after lurking this forum pre-purchase) until I actually had the pleasure to ride for hours.

Also, now that I have 2000 miles (3200kms) and have switched to synthetic engine oil its like I have a whole new bike!

Good luck making your choice, remember if you go with us there will be plenty of friendly and experienced riders/tinkerers to help!

I Like you.  Do you Like me?

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 07:12:19 AM »
Hi OP,

When it came time for me to buy about a year ago I settled on three scooters. The Vespa LX 150, Buddy 170i and the Kymco Like 200i. I couldn't get past the price point of the Vespa since I wasn't sure a scooter was for me. So it wasn't long before I scratched it from my picks. I really wanted to like the Buddy, but when I sat on it the scooter really felt small and well toy like to me. I'm only 5'9". Getting a bit discourage, I checked over the Like and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't expensive, it had at least 150cc, it was fuel injected and it had that retro styling I love without the price. It was also a Kymco which had a reputation for reliability as due the other two brands.

I have now had my Like just short of one year (I purchased it on 7/28/12) and put 3800 miles on it. In the first six months I had to replace two of the OEM batteries with a Yausa brand, all at no cost under the warranty. In addition, the air box rearward bolt had come loose, but that was easily replaced with a little loctite blue for good measure. My average mpg is just a tad over 80 and top speed is approximately 63 to 64 mph. It gets up to 55 mph quickly. The last 8 to 9 mph takes a little more time to obtain, but I have noticed an increase in performance with each passing mile. I think a limiter is in place as the engine does not appear to be under stress at 63 to 64 mph. It is very easy to work on. Typical plastic components so a little TLC is needed so not to break tabs. All-in-all it has been a really reliable scooter and tons of fun to ride.

Almost forgot. Unlike some others, I have not had the discomfort associated with the seat. I have ridden as far as a hundred miles with no discomfort. This may be due to my height or inseam length of 31".

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the scooters you selected. If you can, test ride both. Some dealers will allow it. Most in my area don't.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »
Ok I'm sold, you guys are the best!! I have been on forums before and most of them seem like an insult fest. Everyone here has been great and have been full of fantastic info. Well, I think I will be coming home with a brand new bouncing baby Kymco this weekend. Nice to have a decent tax return this year I can add so I can afford it.
     One last thing, what is everyone's favorite Like 200i color? I'm leaning toward the cream color myself. Has a nice classy look to it. Thanks again everyone and I will post a few pics when I buy my scoot. If I can figure out how.
      Have a great one and be safe, mscmkr

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
I think you'll be happy. I haven't even had a loose bolt on mine. I have about 1800 miles on my 2013. I'm happy.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

rogerd1944

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 02:44:53 PM »
I have the tan with a brown seat .I can not believe the amount of people that love the old paint color.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »
I went with the Ivory, the blue-black is nice as sell. I wish they offered the slate color in the US. That's really nice in my opinion.

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 06:26:53 PM »
I ended up with the "Titanium Grey";
I Like you.  Do you Like me?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()