Author Topic: 2009 grand vista fan?  (Read 3070 times)

jimmymcmullen

• View Profile
2009 grand vista fan?
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:01:09 PM »
I have a 2009 gv that I bought as a left over last august. it now has around 3k miles on it. when I am in traffic or idling for a while it starts to get hot. it will cool when I start moving and air flows through. is this scooter supposed to have a fan to prevent this?

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Re: 2009 grand vista fan?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 04:10:22 PM »
Yes, it has a cooling fan and should come on when you have 3-4 bars on the temperature indicator, than cool down to 3 bars.  I check connections, fan thermostat and fan.   If still under warranty, hand key to dealer...  ;)

jimmymcmullen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
it is still under war. where is the fan located? on radiator?

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 08:05:34 AM »
I have a 2009 gv that I bought as a left over last august. it now has around 3k miles on it. when I am in traffic or idling for a while it starts to get hot. it will cool when I start moving and air flows through. is this scooter supposed to have a fan to prevent this?

I find the fan to not be very effective on my 2005 GV with 10K miles.  When it comes on it tends to stay on until I get moving.  I have good cooling and usually run between 2-3 / 5 bars.  Other motorcycles and my car in it's prime needed only 30 to 60 seconds to lower the temp and turn off where the GV 250 fan runs a lot and does little.  If you turn the motor off with the kill switch while the fan is running it keeps running - what's the point with no fluid able to circulate?

11-13-2013 Minor update: the fan runs more than I thought (still holding 3 bars) but it is so quite and I wear ear plugs that I realized that is why I don't hear it running.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:14:35 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 04:31:54 PM »
Maybe it would help an overheating bike cool down before restarting...
Even if the coolant is not circulating, I imagine a substantial amount of coolant is available in the radiator.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 01:00:15 AM »
I need to say, i do not recall the fan continuing to run when I switch the ignition off; never noticed that, and I think it doesn't do that.  If there is a problem with that you can re-wire the positive to the radiator thermostat fan switch through a positive wire operated by the ignition switch.

To lower the over all temperature make sure that your radiator is clean of any insects and dust/dirt, and if it is an older G/V it may be time for a radiator/cooling system flush.

My 05 GV was also running much hotter than the 09 I have now, basically because it was older coolant and dirtier radiator than the present one.  Flushing the system and adding "Waterwetter" with the correct percentage and correct 50/50% water/antifreeze will lower the operating temperature.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 02:35:58 AM »
The fan does not run indefinitely when the kill switch is on. It simply runs until the coolant reaches the optimal temperature. If it isn't running when you flip the kill switch, then your engine coolant is at the optimal temperature.

Lots of low speed riding and idling in traffic after the bike is fully warm tends to get the fan to switch on.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 02:03:17 PM »
I double checked with a test today, the fan does definitely NOT RUN with the ignition off.  If it does, then somebody has messed around with the wiring to the fan thermostat. The power to it should be controlled by the ignition switch.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 02:40:31 PM »
The fan will not run with the ignition off. You are correct.

However, mrbios and I are describing a situation where the ignition is on and the kill switch is off. If the engine coolant temperature is high enough, the fan will continue to run until the temperature is reduced or if the ignition is turned off.

I hope that clears things up.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »
Thank you for clarifying. 

Since I grew up originally in Europe and also got my motorcycle education there, we never shut OFF our motorcycles by using the kill switch, rather always turning the Ignition switch off.  I am not sure why Americans tend to do this procedure with the kill switch.  It takes two actions of using two switches (that can go wrong over time), usually the light stays on too just with the kill switch off, which puts drain on the battery, and then you need again two actions of switches to start....  And, as we see now, it creates even an unnecessary running of the fan which additionally drains the battery even further due to the lights also being on. 

Anybody out there who wants to explain to me any sort of type of advantage why to first use the kill switch, then the ignition switch to shut a bike or scooter down?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:33:47 PM by windwheeler »

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 10:12:58 PM »
You get to meet the nicest AAA operators, who you call to boost the dead battery that you created
trying to start the engine with the kill switch set to OFF.

Scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 11:33:37 PM »
We are taught as a habit to be familiar with the kill switch in the event of an accident; it may be simpler and easier to reach and engage depending where the bike ends up. There's no advantage to shutting a bike with the kill switch first, but likely no disadvantage if the battery is fully charged from the ride we just finished.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:36:07 PM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 01:21:57 AM »
Ms. MaryK:  great point..!!!  LOL!!!

Mr. thesurgeonistherobot:  If in emergency I'll find immediately and automatically the IGNITION  switch, which shuts ALL down.  So the kill switch shuts the engine down, but what about all the electrical that is still HOT and "could" spark a fire?

OK, I JUST remembered WHY the kill switch was introduced!  It was back in the old times where throttle cables with carburetors got hung and stayed wide open!!!  Yes, people got killed because of that. THAT was the one and ONLY reason why there was an "EMERGENCY ENGINE SHUT OFF SWITCH" (kill switch) right there on the right besides the throttle grip. And yes, this is why also the lights MUST stay on, if that happens during night time, doing this with the ignition switch you would not see anything any longer.  But that switch was never intended to shut an engine down under normal operating conditions!

If for any reason I could not reach the ignition switch after an accident, then believe me, I do know where the kill switch is!  And it is basically for ANY motorcycle and scooter at the same place...   So I honestly I am a firm believer to use the ignition switch ONLY, under normal conditions.  The kill switch ONLY for engine run-away situations.  And BTW: many times after a severe accident the engine is NOT running any longer, but all the electricals are still on (!), and the gasoline is leaking slowly from the tank, or carburetor, or cut gas line...   I hope you have now the vision of flames with the typical following Hollywood explosion [dramatisized, just kidding, but fire can be reality...].  And that's why I know how to find my IGNITION SWITCH as quickly as I can...  been there, done that...     ;)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:06:00 PM by windwheeler »

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 05:24:42 AM »
For what it's worth, my friend had crashed his bike at low speed, but the wheel kept the bike spinning in a circle. It might have been easier to reach for the kill switch than the ignition, but I am happy I have that option available to me.

You do bring up some good points. However, the kill switch and ignition switch isn't necessarily one or the other, with the bike left to stay on headlights blazing indefinitely. I prefer to do kill switch first and shut off the ignition afterwards. I have no reason to believe what I am doing or how I have been trained in a different manner is in any way detrimental or inferior, aside from doing things a little differently. I don't see a dramatic movie style explosion should I hit the kill switch before shutting off the ignition. It works for me, and I see you find your technique works for you. I would not try to convince you to do otherwise, nor would I want to. I believe there are other areas of motorcycling or scooting more interesting to passionately debate. Cheers.  :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:48:26 AM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
Coming back to the beginning of the thread,  the original question was "Why does the fan keep on running"... 

My answer is: "Using the kill switch is not the best way for normal operating shut down"; it may be a habit forming procedure for individuals "to easier find the kill switch" in emergency situations [maybe, and so is the ignition switch available], but there is not any rational advantage, rather an unnecessary drain on a battery.  And that is the point to this thread we are discussing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:11:45 PM by windwheeler »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()