Author Topic: Scoot Newb  (Read 2214 times)

Andymann

• View Profile
Scoot Newb
« on: July 14, 2013, 05:23:56 AM »
Hi everyone!

After a few weeks of reading up on the LIKE,  I finally got one today.  It's my first scooter.  I used to take a folding bike to work but because I have to manage the commute between 2 offices (sometimes 3),  I decided to get a scooter.  I chose the LIKE for reasons of value and looks.  It's a LIKE 125 pre-owned unit that has 11K+ kms on it.
The previous owner was very careful with it.  I've never owned a motorbike nor a scooter so I hope to learn from everyone. I am located in the same city as Vivo.  This forum by far is the easiest  to read. I will post pics as soon as I reduce their size.

Andymann

Andymann

• View Profile
Re: Scoot Newb
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:52:14 AM »
Here are some pics of the new toy.  :D

Andymann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 05:54:00 AM »
And another one.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:05:25 AM »
Looks nice! Congratulations!
Here in the USA in my state they have rider training classes that new riders can take. They include actual rider training on a small motorcycle, a 250cc bike. I'd recommend taking one if they offer that in your country. When you gain experience you will be a safer rider than when you're new.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 11:35:35 PM »
Congratulations on your new to you scooter. Very cool!

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 04:30:01 AM »
Scooter looks great. Congrats and welcome!

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 05:19:53 AM »
Welcome Andymann! So, you're living in the shoe city also? Maybe we can have a Sunday breakfast together at the banks and take pics of our scooters...  This forum is the greatest and lots of people here that help each other... You can read Stig's posts about the like... he has lots of them...

Andymann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
Welcome Andymann! So, you're living in the shoe city also?

Vivo,  I live in Quezon City, not too far from your city.

What a rush!  I took my Like to work for the first time today!   The trip was around 9kms. With heavy traffic the trip took around 40 minutes. I was nervous as I drove out the gate. The tips on riding I read helped a lot.  I was very careful not to scratch other cars and my scoot too.  I got me an LS2 Helmet. Optic yellow for hi visibility. My head looked like an enormous tennis ball.  I could get used to the daily commute.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »

What a rush!  I took my Like to work for the first time today!   The trip was around 9kms. With heavy traffic the trip took around 40 minutes. I was nervous as I drove out the gate. The tips on riding I read helped a lot.  I was very careful not to scratch other cars and my scoot too.  I got me an LS2 Helmet. Optic yellow for hi visibility. My head looked like an enormous tennis ball.  I could get used to the daily commute.

Dear fellow LIKE owner.....good decision! I commute daily to work on my LIKE....it is a blast to wake up to, and something to look forward to at quitting time.
Ride safe...!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 01:55:13 AM »

It's rainy season and lots of wet and slippery roads... Kymco OEM tires are very slippery when wet and I strongly suggest you change to better tires ASAP... I got Mizzle brand tires that are very sticky even when wet... P3,100.00 for both... there are more expensive brands though...  ... I'm saying this because I think it's a priority for a newb... mahirap na sumemplang bro, kahit maingat...

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 02:53:51 AM »
It's rainy season and lots of wet and slippery roads... Kymco OEM tires are very slippery when wet and I strongly suggest you change to better tires ASAP... I got Mizzle brand tires that are very sticky even when wet... P3,100.00 for both... there are more expensive brands though...  ... I'm saying this because I think it's a priority for a newb... mahirap na sumemplang bro, kahit maingat...

I rode in a severe thunderstorm today and traffic forced me to go about 40-44mph on a stretch of winding road for about 10 miles.  I still have the stock tires on but only experienced a minor slip, when turning on to the road. I had found myself in the middle if the lane during the turn.  Throughout the drive I stuck to the "tire tracks" and didnt slip at all. 

Now I'm not saying these tires are great or anything, but its just as important to avoid driving in the middle of the lane as it is to have great tires....especially when its wet and raining.

I want new tires soon, but I dont want to spend more than $150 for the pair, any suggestions?
I Like you.  Do you Like me?

Coachz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »
congratulations,  make sure to put loctite on the exhaust shield bolts.  Enjoy your ride !

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »
I rode in a severe thunderstorm today and traffic forced me to go about 40-44mph on a stretch of winding road for about 10 miles.  I still have the stock tires on but only experienced a minor slip, when turning on to the road. I had found myself in the middle if the lane during the turn.  Throughout the drive I stuck to the "tire tracks" and didnt slip at all. 

Now I'm not saying these tires are great or anything, but its just as important to avoid driving in the middle of the lane as it is to have great tires....especially when its wet and raining.

I want new tires soon, but I dont want to spend more than $150 for the pair, any suggestions?

Good morning....I purchased a pair of Michelin City Grips on the recommendation of a couple of Sr. members here......in response to my questions about wet weather riding.
I put the Kendas aside, well wrapped in the garage.
I have read good remarks about certain Continental tires (ZIPS ?), a couple of Michelin tires, and a Heidenau.
I cannot recall exactly what I paid for the Michelins, delivered free to my house, no tax. It was about $110 for the pair (no more than that, I'm sure). It probably was amazon.
The day I took them to the cycle/scooter shop to have them installed and ballanced - I met 2 other fellows who had their tires in hand, and one guy who bought his through the dealer we were at. HE paid a heck of a lot more for his tires - the 3 of us bought ours on-line.  He looked kinda sick when he heard what one fellow paid for the same Michelin tire he was having installed on his motorcycle.
I scoped out scooter tires on several scooter sites - (Buddy, Vespa, Aprilia, etc.) before buying the Michelins. I like them - and have been buying Michelins for my cars for a long time - but still researched them before buying them for a scooter. Strangely, I have seen Kendas selling for more than i paid for my Michelins.
Can I review them for you ? Nope - don't have enough scooter experience to know the differences in how these tires behave at their limits - but figured once I was laying on my side on a wet street was not the way I wanted to get this knowledge. A couple of forum fellows were pretty adamant about not testing Kendas in the wet - which was good enough for me, a novice scooterist who will be (and have been, yesterdsay!) riding a lot in the rain.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()