Author Topic: Are salesman convinced people are stupid?  (Read 2803 times)

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Are salesman convinced people are stupid?
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:47:17 AM »
So I'm out today shopping for a helmet and gloves. Stopped at a Harley dealer to see what they had.  Had a lady show me a few things. She was very nice and very helpfull. I ended up buying a pair of gloves from them. This is where the wheels came off the day. I drove down to Ride Now to see what they had for helmets. The second I walked in a salesman walked up to me and jumped right into the hard sell. I tried several times to tell him I was only there for a helmet. He asked if I had a bike yet and I told him I was buying a scooter. Of course he tried to sell me a motorcycle instead. I told him I was not interested in one and I was buying a scooter. He asked what brand and I  told him I was buying a Kymco.
     After several minutes I finally got away from him. I had another guy show me some helmets and ended up not finding anything I really liked. While I was walking out the first guy yelled and ran over to give it one last shot. He told me he had looked up Kymco and found out they were a cheap Chinese knock off bike. I tried very nicely to explain they were not a Chinese knock off bike and they of course were not cheap in anyway. He would not let this go. He kept trying to tell me the scooters they had were quality and the Kymco was nothing but junk. I finally had to bluntly tell him I was not interested and walk away.
     Please explain to me why salesman think this kind of thing will work. I can't stand it. I felt like I  just got mugged or something. I really hope the rest of my scooter accessory buying experience goes a bit better than that.

Ok, I will come down off my soapbox now. Be safe everyone, mscmkr

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
Re: Are salesman convinced people are stupid?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 04:26:38 AM »
Here in VT, pretty much no one talks to me when I walk into the dealer. lol. At car dealers, though, I am hassled to the point of wanting to slap the sales people. Two-wheeled dealers are much more relaxed here. Next time, just tell him to piss off lmao.

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 04:45:49 AM »
Salesmen have the devil in them.  Ones that don't are few and far between.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:14:29 AM »
A salesman knocked on a customer's door and the moment the door opened he immediately dumped a sackful of horse sh** in the man's living room and said "If my new super duper heavy duty vacuum cleaner can't pick up and clean all of this horse sh**, I'll eat them all up"....   The customer casually said "I'll get you a spoon... we don't have electricity in here..."

Joking aside... a salesperson is totally different from a marketing man... a salesperson will do all drastic things just to close a deal... that is his objective...  ;)

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:59:10 PM »
When you get jumped by a pushy salesperson, just tell them "When I decide what I want to buy, I will find a salesperson that I like, and let them know what I want.  Thank you."

I was in computer marketing and tech support for years where you often took months to get a sale.  You had to respect your customers in order to be successful.  I proud to say I've left pushy, rude sales people crying and arguing with each other when buying cars and clothes.    I don't care what the policy is.  I don't "belong" to the first salesman that talks to me when I walk through the door.   They can sort it out after I leave.
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »
The biggest problem with a lot of salesmen is that it is a entry level job like burger slinger. A lot of them know nothing about the product they sell and only want the commission. The shop that sold me my scoot sells several brands of Taiwan machines and there was never any high pressure. I can't say the same about the Harley dealer here that also sells Vespa/Piaggio. The were highly dismissive of anyone who would even consider a scooter. I recently learned that their scoot sales are less than stellar.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
your mistake was entering a hardly shop
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:34:50 PM »
Yes hardly with a small h.
Did you have your "certificate of attitude" in your pocket when you entered?
When you buy a hardly or hardly product they give you a certificate of attitude to carry.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 10:31:40 PM »
We have a few motorcycle/scooter shops here.  If you're in the market for a scooter you have to ask them "what do you have in the back?".  Of course I didn't know that when I first started looking at scooters.    I just saw the 4 or 5 out front and thought that was it.  They didn't show me the back room even when I told them I was looking to buy a scooter. 
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 11:29:13 PM »
It all depends on if they are geting payed by the sales they make or by the hour.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 12:13:12 AM »
The biggest problem with a lot of salesmen is that it is a entry level job like burger slinger. A lot of them know nothing about the product they sell and only want the commission. The shop that sold me my scoot sells several brands of Taiwan machines and there was never any high pressure. I can't say the same about the Harley dealer here that also sells Vespa/Piaggio. The were highly dismissive of anyone who would even consider a scooter. I recently learned that their scoot sales are less than stellar.

Wow Blue, what city is that Taiwan scooter dealer in!
I did not know enough to look at very many scooters....I knew I could not afford a Vespa, and did not want a Chinese $600 scooter....and never got to test one...but lucked out and found myself this LIKE 200I.
I did do a lot of reading before I bought the LIKE, and pestered the heck out of these kind folks, here, before buying.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 12:28:15 AM »
     Ok, I will come down off my soapbox now. Be safe everyone, mscmkr
[/quote]

I bought my scooter from  this dealer because I had to ....next one was 46 miles away, and sold expensive scoots which I could not afford.
BUT, because of the way my 'home' dealer dealt with me in this mega-motorcycle store I have purchased NOT ONE of the many items I now have for my scooter riding.
Helmet, tried theirs on for 2 days to find one to fit (I'm XXXX) bought it on-line. Gloves , the same. Armored jacket, the same, Scooter oil, the same. Locks, the same. Cover, the same.
The low point was when the sales lady got flustered with me while I tried to find a helmet that fit - and said "Well, it's only a scooter!"
This was directly after purchasing my scooter from the other side of the room. I told her, "Actually, I think it's just as easy to kill a scooter rider as it is a Harley rider, so I'm going to find the correct helmet, no matter how long it takes."

Support the good scooter sellers......buy on-line and avoid the others. (ALL of the Kymco parts and accessories which I have purchased were ordered from other scooter dealers, in other states.)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 03:08:59 AM »
It all depends on if they are geting payed by the sales they make or by the hour.
Wow Blue, what city is that Taiwan scooter dealer in!
I did not know enough to look at very many scooters....I knew I could not afford a Vespa, and did not want a Chinese $600 scooter....and never got to test one...but lucked out and found myself this LIKE 200I.
I did do a lot of reading before I bought the LIKE, and pestered the heck out of these kind folks, here, before buying.

The shop is located in Albany, Oregon. They sell Kymco ,Genuine,  Sym and TGB as well as Kymco ATVs. Like you I pestered them for about a year before I bought the Like 200i LX. I still am totally happy with my choice.   ;)

Len
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:54:27 AM »
Reminds me of how a salesman lost a sale on a bike because I knew more about it than him.   The manager and he kept trying to get an extra grand out of it.  I kept telling it was worth X.   

I eventually walked out without the bike.   a week later they called me to accept my offer but I already had a new bike. 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 11:26:24 PM »
Guess I should consider myself lucky.  The shop I bought from sells motorcycles and scooters.  They are an authorized dealership for Yamaha, Honda, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, BMW, KTM, Kawasaki, and ....Kymco.  They also carry a wide selection of used motorcycles and scooters.  They don't care what you ride as long as you ride and they don't care what they sell you, as long as you buy from them.  No pressure....test drive the bike to make sure you like it.  Heck, I go there on Saturday mornings just to get the free donuts before they go out for their weekly ride.  They have even invited several scooter riders to their track days. 

Another shop sells only new motorcycles, but has a good selection of used scooters and again are not snobby about what you want to ride.  I've talked to many of the sales people at both shops and they all recognize two things....more people are interested in buying scooters, and many of those scooter buyers will want bigger and more expensive rides within a few years.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

robertrackson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 09:27:17 AM »
Maximum number of sales people are try to make the people convincing with their words. They have that capacity, like that people only can do the best sales in all aspects. But we can't believe them totally, we need to know the details about it.
Automatic driving lessons birmingham - http://www.ecofriendlydrivingschool.co.uk/birmingham/

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()