Author Topic: headlight dim / intrument panel light turns off - please help  (Read 801 times)

MN_Scoot

• View Profile
I just started having a weird issue where when I turn on the scoot, the instrument panel light is off and the headlight is dim…when I rev the engine, the headlight actually dims making me think it's an alternator issue. The first time this happened, I switched to high beam and the instrument panel came back on. Then, when I switched back to low beam, it was bright again.
Most recently, the light was dim and the switching to high beam trick did not work.
My questions are: Could this be due to wet wiring? It does have to be kept outside sometimes and gets rained on.
Or, is this the beginning of an electrical system component going bad?

Appreciate any help!
2007 Kymco Agility 50
Stock other than Dr. Pulley Sliders and derestricted from the dealer.

reg

• View Profile
Re: headlight dim / intrument panel light turns off - please help
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »
Hi, i guess because the headlights work when they feel like it that the alternator is okay. It does sound like an intermitent short circuit. Check the light swithc on the handle barsis all okay inside. Follow the wires from the switch across the bars and down behind the panels where the cables can get chaffed when the bars are turned. Pull aprt all connections and check for corrosion, even if the connections are not corroded give them a spray of wd40 ( damp dispersant). Check the battery with a voltmeter, take it out of the scoot and charge it, check the voltage. Then clipa 12 volt bulb to it for a couple of minutes, then check the voltage again. This way you will know if the battery is okay and holds its charge for a while. Check the rear light too as this is part of the circuit. If all is okay clip the voltmeter to the battery when its intsalled in the scoot and make a note of the voltage. Then start the engine and make sure that the voltage rises, this proves that the alternator is okay.
I know this sounds like a lot of work but its really only 30 minutes or so.

blue

• View Profile
Re: headlight dim / intrument panel light turns off - please help
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:08:54 AM »
check the battery wires and any wires that may be grounded to the frame of the scoot are tight.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()