Author Topic: headlight dim / intrument panel light turns off - please help  (Read 2405 times)

MN_Scoot

• View Profile
I just started having a weird issue where when I turn on the scoot, the instrument panel light is off and the headlight is dim…when I rev the engine, the headlight actually dims making me think it's an alternator issue. The first time this happened, I switched to high beam and the instrument panel came back on. Then, when I switched back to low beam, it was bright again.
Most recently, the light was dim and the switching to high beam trick did not work.

My questions are: Could this be due to wet wiring? It does have to be kept outside sometimes and gets rained on.
Or, is this the beginning of an electrical system component going bad?

Appreciate any help!

--

2007 Kymco 50cc Agility
2007 Kymco Agility 50
Stock other than Dr. Pulley Sliders and derestricted from the dealer.

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: headlight dim / intrument panel light turns off - please help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 07:27:19 PM »
1st.  I would get the battery fully charged and have it load tested at an auto parts store or garage.
That is cheap and easy. 

2.  If the battery is not the problem, then you probably want to test the DC output of the electrical system at 3000 rpm.
Scooter on center stand, voltmeter attached to the battery posts.  Voltage should be at least 14 volts but not more than 15 volts.

3. If good, then look for faulty ground wires and other poor electrical connections.

scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »
osund like there is a problem with your charging system.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:27:06 PM »

My questions are: Could this be due to wet wiring? It does have to be kept outside sometimes and gets rained on.
Or, is this the beginning of an electrical system component going bad?

2007 Kymco 50cc Agility

I have a 2005 GV250 with 10K on it.  When I bought it used 2 years ago with 2600 mi on it it had this problem.  It is definitely NOT the battery, charging system.  My battery and charging system is perfect.  It is NOT rain - I live in San Diego where it has not rained for months and in the rain season rain had zero effect on the problem.  I went from random bright / dim to Dim and completely dark recently.  It is not a fuse or ground issue either because I have LCD gauges which require power and they never go off. 

I believe there is a sensor which dims the light at night  and I suspect that has failed.  If there is no sensor then it is probably a loose or corroded connection.  This seems to be a defect on Kymco's part as we have different models an motor sizes yet the same exact problem.  Hope it helps.

PaulC

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
I think Mary is on the right track to start with. Agility 50 is a pretty simple machine and since it was my first scoot I can testify it is nearly waterproof within reason. Do the tests that Mary recommends, THEN start checking the high/low beam switch, push-on headlight connections, battery connection, all clean, tight and free of corrosion. I do not know of any darkness sensor at least on an Agility 50 so I would not look for that. Bad connections and worn out switch(es), yes.

AND LET US ALL KNOW WHAT IT TOOK TO FIX THE PROBLEM!! That lets all us "smart guys and gals" know how we need to sharpen our trouble shooting skills.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MN_Scoot

• View Profile
SOLVED - Re: headlight dim / intrument panel light turns off - please help
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. I took a while to respond b/c it was hard to get off work to get to the shop (I prefer to buy locally vs. internet). I had them text the battery.

It turned out that my bulb was going bad (first time I've seen it go dim instead of just go out) and I needed a new battery. Changed out both and everything works fine.

By the way, I also learned a new bulb part number that works with the 2007 Kymco and was cheaper: 6235B by Eiko.

Thanks again!
2007 Kymco Agility 50
Stock other than Dr. Pulley Sliders and derestricted from the dealer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()