Author Topic: Spring rate on a LIKE 200i / complicated!  (Read 2544 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Spring rate on a LIKE 200i / complicated!
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:05:43 PM »
Here's a quote from Progressive shock technician.
I asked him to guess-timate what spring/rate shock I should purchase, giving him the scooter weight and mine.
His reply: I wish I could - The geometry of the swingarm is what determines it. Rider weight and bike weight are a small factor.

Anyone have a clue as to what the stock spring rate is on our LIKE's?
Tough to look for shocks with a heavier spring rate if I don't know what the stock is.
I've chatted with the Progressive shock techs (X2)....and they've never worked on a LIKE 200....they are recommending something in the 412 range
but I am seeing only one shock with eye to clevis mount in the 412 series.
I think our LIKE 200i shock is @13.25"/340mm

But, in the 12 series I found these shocks
#12-1205B : 14"/356mm length (center eye to clevis hole measured, NOT total length of shock), Compressed- 10.15"/258mm, Travel 3.85"98mm, Mount Eye/Clevis

#12-1204B :  13"/330mm, Compressed-9.35"/237mm, Travel 3.65"/93mm, Mount E/C

These are shocks only , must add the springs....so need to figure out a proper spring/rate spring.
I'm working this..........and could use some help from more experienced riders who've messed with shocks.

I did see some place what our stock shock travel was - but danged if I can find it any where.
Nearly 4 inches on that 14" shock seems pretty good.
 Price is coming in around $205, w/free shipping from certain suppliers. (includes a pair of shocks and the springs made by Progressive)

"With shock and fork spring fitments all the way back to 1949, Progressive Suspension likely has the suspension setup you need for your restoration, AHRMA racer or vintage machine. The 12, 13 & 14 Series shocks are sold as damper sets and can be mated to a number of springs to properly tune for your application.
ʉۢ12 Series shocks are gas charged for superior, fade-free damping and consistent operation
ʉۢSix-stage, automatic damping designed with a special anti-topping function
ʉۢDouble-wall shock body construction for piston protection and long life
ʉۢShocks have black finish and include a one year warranty
ʉۢSold in pairs, black springs sold separately"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:33:43 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

91cavgt

• View Profile
Re: Spring rate on a LIKE 200i / complicated!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:35:54 AM »
I have no idea as to the info that you are looking for, but keep this in mind.  Just because a shock may have 4" of travel does not mean that the scooter would then have 4" of travel.  You need to check to see if there is some kind of mechanical limitation to the suspension travel.  Kind of like a bump stop on an automobile.  Is there something on the scooter that would prevent more than XXXX amount of suspension travel?  I'm not saying there is something there, but I think it would be a good idea to check.  All you would have to do is to unbolt the shocks at the bottom and see how much of a drop is mechanically allowed before something else besides the shock bottoms out.  I would hate to see you buy a shock that would give more travel only to find out when installed that you got no increase in shock travel. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 03:42:02 AM »
I don't have a clue, but may be a custom motorcycle shop could help you. Do you have one close by?

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 03:58:51 AM »
Stig,  I am thinking the shock does nothing to help with the suspension compressing more than you would like.  I really think the shock absorber is fine and you need a stronger spring that would fit the stock shock.  The shock just makes the return slower so it doesn't "bounce" back into the normal position.  The normal position is dictated by the strength of the spring and the weight of the rider(s).  A heavier spring will not bottom out as easy or squish down as far with your normal weight, so it will be like adding a little more travel to the suspension because it will sit higher with you sitting on the scoot. I would look for a spring with the same size and number of coils but heavier coils.  I haven't checked to see if you can change just the springs.  You may have to get shocks with them if they don't come off the shocks. Does this make sense?  You could possibly take a photo of the stock spring / shock assy. and provide good measurements of the diameter, and the thickness of the metal coil rod and see if there is something Progressive could recommend.  Good luck.  If you find anything, I may be interested as I ride two up quite often and a little stiffer springs would help.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46:10 AM »
Stig, maybe some diet and exercise might help... Lol!   ;D

oskuk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:36:08 AM »
Seems complicated.
 As a new member, and a guy with a keen co-pilot I see the problem. I have been asking on scoot-shops a bit stiffer schocks on rear of our Like, to get going 2-up riding with ease and comfort, but everyone is telling me that: it is complicated! Kymco shop guy told me he does not know anything on the original ones. On the other shop guy was sure that one oem-schock would do nicely (I do not remember the make) but when I was guessing the price for two, the guy was: two? He was just with a measuring tape on back of my scoot, but did not notice a twin assembly. So, I did not make his suggestion as fact, it would surely be  overly stiff. So, I am on the start-line for the quest.

ps: My mothertongue is not english, so I have to make up some grammar of my own ;-)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 07:43:55 AM »
Just to add... most high performance or "racing" shocks are stiffer....

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 11:08:27 PM »
Seems complicated.
 As a new member, and a guy with a keen co-pilot I see the problem. I have been asking on scoot-shops a bit stiffer schocks on rear of our Like, to get going 2-up riding with ease and comfort, but everyone is telling me that: it is complicated! Kymco shop guy told me he does not know anything on the original ones. On the other shop guy was sure that one oem-schock would do nicely (I do not remember the make) but when I was guessing the price for two, the guy was: two? He was just with a measuring tape on back of my scoot, but did not notice a twin assembly. So, I did not make his suggestion as fact, it would surely be  overly stiff. So, I am on the start-line for the quest.

ps: My mothertongue is not english, so I have to make up some grammar of my own ;-)

Dear Oskuk,
Please keep at the search for better LIKE shocks. First person to figure it out wins Big Grande Prize (to be named later....)
This is frustrating is it not? Seems like it should be simple! I am trying to ask my friends in the Like Club in the Philippines......but not too many of them need heavier shocks!
Regards, Stig in Ohio/USA
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

JOB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »
Sting, You should take one shock apart and take the spring to a truck spring shop to have it tested. They put it in a press that measures the pressure needed to compress it over its range of motion. They can then make a new spring with the compressive properties you need. I have seen off road vehicles with shocks with a progressive spring rate that  has more resistance the farther it is compressed. Check for off road. Or stock car or truck spring shops in any larger city near you. I bet it would cost less to make springs than buy the correct shock. Good luck. Jeff

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 12:49:48 AM »
Stig, maybe some diet and exercise might help... Lol!   ;D

Excuse me Mr. Vivo,
......I saw someone messing with your scooter while you were watching TV~!
(PS: winter is coming soon - I will need this extra weight to increase my tire grip in the snow! Surely you've seen those light-weight Philippino fellows slipping and sliding while they try and ride their scooters up those snowy hills in the city!?  Lack of sufficient ballast causes that. Yes, well, that's not going to happen to me!)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 01:30:50 AM »
Stig, have you examined the Super 8 shocks? they are great for two up.... My wife is around 140 and I'm 180.. that's 320 pounds total and the ride on my S8 is perfect... tho, I'm not sure of the length...

I asked around Stig, and it seems there are also some big guys with Likes here with the same problem... all of them replaced the rear shocks with the ones from a Yamaha Nouvo scooter, and got great results... however, Stig, I just don't know if you can buy these in your place...

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:46:40 AM by Vivo »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 10:36:23 PM »
Vivo, It looks like I can go to my dealer with a tape measure and get a measurement on the Super 8 rear shocks! They are out in the open.
I checked the parts numbers for the LIKE and SUPER 8 shocks - they are different numbers - so that looks good.

Will also try to source the Yamaha shocks.
Thanks much for your help!

OK, phoned a place in California... the SUPER 8  shocks run @$41 each. Not a bad price.
Now, must get down to the dealer and see if there is a Sup.8 on the floor to measure the shock.
Will report back.......

Reporting back. (see Vivo's remarks here    http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=9640.0 )
So, 13" on the Super 8 and quite possibly more shock travel than the LIKE shocks.
Me? I'm looking HARD at the Progressive shocks because they are 14"....... hoping fitting this shock is a "one-and-done" deal and never have to mess with shocks again. The 13" Progressive has more travel than stock LIKE shock - which might compromise the body clearances - but the 14" shock lifts the bike a bit and will help things stay clear of each other - plus you have more load detents on the Progressive to adjust your shock.Added seat height is not an issue with me (at 6'3"), but might be something for other riders to keep in mind. The Kymco Super 8 shock will keep things pretty stock, with probably a bit more shock travel.

Your thoughts......as this is far from a done deal. (If I'm going in there with new shocks - I want to be pretty certain I'm only going in there once!)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:11:36 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()