Author Topic: Buying a new scooter and having dealer issues.  (Read 1699 times)

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Buying a new scooter and having dealer issues.
« on: July 23, 2013, 11:39:09 PM »
Hey everyone, now that I have passed my motorcycle safety course and have aquired my Licence I'm off to buy my Like 200i. Maybe! The issue I am having is the dealers here in the valley seem to be quoting a different price. The dealer I was going to buy from is charging $2965 for the $2699 Like. This is not including tax or title. Another one that is about 30 miles farther from me is quoting the $2699 on the Kymco website. A little over $3000 at one place and over $3300 at the other. Not sure what to do here. I'm tempted to buy from the dealer up north about 90 miles away. Those guys are great. I would rather not have to drive all the way up there when I need the scoot serviced tho. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone and be safe, mscmkr

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: Buying a new scooter and having dealer issues.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:59:25 PM »
It seems easy from here....
You don't want to pay more than the MSRP so you don't want to deal with the local dealer.
Now, price his service charges (ask about the per hr rate and the cost of the 1st service on that scooter).
Then ask the same questions from the dealer 90 miles away.

Which is cheaper for service ?
Which is more informative and friendlier about service ?

If the local dealer is cheaper or friendlier on service, than ask about a bundle deal on the purchase
(Scooter plus 1st service or riding gear)?

Anyway, you can buy a scooter from any dealer and get service from any other dealer... as far as I know.

Scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 12:26:38 AM »
All the nearby dealers quoted me $2,199 on a new KYMCO Super 8 50 2T.  I left with one out the door, tax, tags and all for $1900.  I thought I should have done better than that and was disappointed in myself. If they want more than retail I would walk. :o
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:09:34 AM »
I like what MaryK is saying.
Are these scoots flying off the dealer's floor, or? (SYM makes a heck of a good Taiwan scooter, too)
I'd sure be looking at the service cost - the 600 mile service is the big one, according to the manual ..."the most important in the life of the scooter"
Check both shops for the 600 mile service price.
My shop was a crazy $350....but I had no choice. Not a scooter friendly shop - but no other dealers around. (consequently bought ALL my gear from on-line sources....including genuine KYMCO accessories. ie: these folks lost a lot of my business)
Doing my own service and keeping good records & receipts.

Take your time...ask them to make a bundled price : 600 mile service, helmet, jacket, gloves, rain gear, maybe add some accessories - the crash bars?.
But I would spend some time in each shop - talk to other scooter customers about how they deal with a scooter owner.
It is pretty important to your future peace of mind to be dealing with a knowledgeable and friendly scooter shop!
A few $100 down the road may be forgotten .....
FYI- my price was $3300 out the door - but with $200 in gift cards from dealer and Kymco.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:12:36 AM »
Walk into the dealership of your choice with a stack of 100 dollar bills but just a few short of their "best offer", and watch the salesmen fall all over themselves...  they know that same stack of bills can head up the road.   ;)
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 03:15:52 AM »
Walk into the dealership of your choice with a stack of 100 dollar bills but just a few short of their "best offer", and watch the salesmen fall all over themselves...  they know that same stack of bills can head up the road.   ;)

Assorted denominations would look thicker....!    ;D ;D ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()