Author Topic: Before buying your parts online check you local dealer first  (Read 1289 times)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Like most I want to get the best deal possible for my money, but at the same time I don't mind spending a little more in support of my local dealer. Today before placing my order online for parts for my upcoming 7000km service I made a list of the parts with pricing from an online Kymco parts distributor and took the list to my dealer. To my surprise the prices were nearly identical and when netted out my local dealer was actually a couple of dollars less. Since it was local I had no shipping charges to contend with, but sales tax of nearly $6. Compare that to the nearly $17 it would cost for s/h from the online dealer I saved a decent amount of money by buying locally. YMMV :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Before buying your parts online check you local dealer first
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 09:48:12 PM »
Fair comment TroutBum,
The issue I have with my dealer is that he wouldn't take the time to order the parts from the Kymco warehouse.
I waited my turn in line at the big parts counter....while the boys talked among themselves and grab a--ed with the cycle customers....and then politely asked how my order was doing. 3 visits to the parts counter over a 2 week period, a couple more phone calls with cheerful but empty promises.
Went home and sat down at my DELL and ordered accessories from Moxiescooter in TX, and spare parts from http://www.motorsportmonster.com/p/Scooter-Parts

In a few days I had everything.

Not only did I not buy any Kymco parts from my dealer, who sold me the scooter, but everything else I bought to ride a scooter came from on-line suppliers -tax free, and freq. postage free. (Locks, jackets, gloves, helmets, covers, tools, OEM parts, Michelin tires, bulbs, scooter oil, rain gear, OEM accessories, etc.)
I had the $ in my pocket - but as a scooter owner couldn't get my dealer's attention. I have subsequently found an actual scooter dealer 25 miles away who will be getting my service. They sell a lot of big motorcycles .....and Vespas and Aprilias - but agreed to service my Kymco....if I can't figure it out myself. I have never seen so many beautiful Vespas in one place- i even walked out of there with some Vespa and Aprilia brochures. you know how hard those are to come by?! (Kymco salesman printed me out a b/w sheet w/a few specs on it -no color brochures)
Warranty issues ? Well, should those come up I'll go down and bang heads with the local Kymco seller.

I would be happy to support a local scooter dealer - I just don't have one - I have a Kymco seller.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:55:54 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 10:18:54 PM »
Unfortunately not all dealers are professional. I'm fortunate to have a great dealer locally. They began in the 70s selling BMW motorcycles and continue to ths day. They are also a huge scooter dealer selling Vespa, Aprila, Genuine, Stella, Kymco and other brands. I actually was surprised to find their parts pricing to be inline with those of the online parts distributors.

Hopefully others will find a good deal with their local dealers.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »
Unfortunately not all dealers are professional. I'm fortunate to have a great dealer locally. They began in the 70s selling BMW motorcycles and continue to ths day. They are also a huge scooter dealer selling Vespa, Aprila, Genuine, Stella, Kymco and other brands. I actually was surprised to find their parts pricing to be inline with those of the online parts distributors.

Hopefully others will find a good deal with their local dealers.

Dear Trout.......
How far is San Jose.....as the crow flies?
I just filled the tank this morning...........and I'm getting right at 87MPG.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 05:08:50 AM »
Dear Trout.......
How far is San Jose.....as the crow flies?
I just filled the tank this morning...........and I'm getting right at 87MPG.

Come on over. You can consider training for the next Ironbutt.  ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()