Author Topic: Shock sag explained to me.......  (Read 1130 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Shock sag explained to me.......
« on: July 27, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »
Watched a video made by the folks who make the Progressive shocks in the USA.
They stated that when a rider takes his seat the shock should compress about 1/3 of its total travel.
A shock with 3" of travel - from unloaded to bottoming - should sag about 1" when you sit fully in the seat.

I've read someplace that the LIKE has just about 3 inches of suspension travel at the rear, maybe even a bit less.
I put the family on my LIKE today and measured a total compression of 2.5" to 2.8" to the stops.
I've read reviews that mentioned the stiff ride of the LIKE's 13.2" shocks - and I guess I can understand that with less than 3' of shock travel available.

There appears to be at least 4" of travel space available before things bind on the Like.

At this time I'm looking pretty hard at a set of 14" Progressive shocks with HD springs, which have nearly 4" of travel, and 5 adjustment settings (2 more than a LIKE) .....unless I can get some good info on a Kymco shock.
What's your sag measurement -measured vertically,. before and after,  from a body part to the bottom bolt of the shock?
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Re: Shock sag explained to me.......
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:33:46 AM »
To damn much. I'm 6ft and about 298lbs. Let me know what you come up with for shocks.

Be safe, mscmkr

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Shock sag explained to me.......
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 02:06:15 AM »
To damn much. I'm 6ft and about 298lbs. Let me know what you come up with for shocks.

Be safe, mscmkr

You bet I will. I have been telling the shock techs that there are a number of us big-guy LIKE owners who would be interested in a better shock -
I have found 2 possible motorcycle shocks that might work. Trying to get the full specs on them to make sure they will fit in all areas and can be easily mounted on our scoots without messing things up. (the Progressive shocks are pricey but really have great specs - but jury still out on compatability w/our scoot. The EMGO /chinese shock is 1/2 the price but not sure of the quality. )
But there are SO many scooter shocks to run down the info on...........Yamaha, Honda, SYM, other Kymco scoots, etc!
Mean time I'm riding my scoot on the middle setting of the spring shortener adjustment - hard setting I can't see to drive on a bumpy 35mph street! Also using 24 and 28 PSI in the tires. (one PSI less than manual advises) to improve the ride. BUT I don't ride fastwer than 35 > 40 MPH on those settings! ie: i'm cruising rahter than racing.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()