Author Topic: Belt woes  (Read 5938 times)

duesouth

• View Profile
Belt woes
« on: July 29, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
So, I busted the belt at 14,000 miles. Apparently replacing it is a lengthy ordeal, at least in the U.S. I called all my local dealers, none had it. I tried a few online places (3) and found one that thought he could have it to me within a week. That was two weeks ago, called them today and they said that they had no idea when it would come. Perhaps it's just my experience and not a normal occurrence, but a belt is one of the parts that's guaranteed to break at some point. You'd think Kymco would make it easy to get the part. I doubt most people want to be a month without their scooter in prime riding season while they are waiting for a simple belt. This goes right up there with my gripe over not being able to get touchup paint for the orange DT. That Suzuki Vstrom is looking better and better. Okay, rant over. If your someone who can't live without your DT for weeks on end, you might want to get a spare.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Belt woes
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »
So, I busted the belt at 14,000 miles. Apparently replacing it is a lengthy ordeal, at least in the U.S. I called all my local dealers, none had it. I tried a few online places (3) and found one that thought he could have it to me within a week. That was two weeks ago, called them today and they said that they had no idea when it would come. Perhaps it's just my experience and not a normal occurrence, but a belt is one of the parts that's guaranteed to break at some point. You'd think Kymco would make it easy to get the part. I doubt most people want to be a month without their scooter in prime riding season while they are waiting for a simple belt. This goes right up there with my gripe over not being able to get touchup paint for the orange DT. That Suzuki Vstrom is looking better and better. Okay, rant over. If your someone who can't live without your DT for weeks on end, you might want to get a spare.

You should have ordered a new belt around 10k miles and have it sitting at home at the time it
falls apart, not that I'd ever wait for it to snap, that's a bad idea. That said, when I replaced mine
at around 11k, it was still within spec.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »
This goes right up there with my gripe over not being able to get touchup paint for the orange DT.

I found a place some where in the EU that carries touch up paint. Let me try to find it again and I'll post the link.

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 12:58:46 PM »
Try here, they are not the cheapest but they do carry all original parts. http://www.kymcopartsmonster.com .
Good luck.

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 02:31:14 PM »
just ordered one from  gearhead.com last thu and it shipped today.
Lowest price and they had all the other parts I wanted.
The other sites tied-into to Kymco Parts had the belt as 'call for price', pain in the backside.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »
Yep, I should've had one laying around at 10k miles, but I didn't. Hopefully my mistake will be for the benefit of others. The breakdown wasn't a big deal, just called the Mrs. and in no time the DT was loaded in the back of the truck, or I could've called my roadside assistance provider. It's the waiting that's a pain, never dreamed it would take so long. I ordered from a dealer, and I called the site listed below. No one has it in stock and all of them have to order it. I tried 3 local dealers and 3 (now 4) online guys. It's so special order, that I think they have to pump the oil out of the ground first before it can eventually be turned into a Kymco replacement belt.

I'd love for the touchup paint site if you can find it. The replacement pannel is fairly inexpensive, seems like a waste for just a few scratches.

Edit: I took out the name of the dealer on this post.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:29:37 PM by duesouth »

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »
So Wheels and Due South,

You seem to both have some decent miles on your machines, have they been pretty trouble free to this point?  I only have about 1500 miles on mine and am not worried, but kind of curious as to your experiences.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 02:45:50 AM »
  I got mine at stadium yamaha for $99.00  ,.,and I picked one up at tha dealer for $189.00,. so I have a spare belt ,.  and the original belt looks like new,. with 22.000 km on it the mitsubosi spec is 1004 mm. x 25.2 mm. with 30 degree         my first belt is 1010 mm. x 24 mm.  the second belt is 1004mm. x 24 mm. and the third belt is 1004 mm. x 24 mm.  I wonder how the scooter would run with the proper spec. belt in it,.   

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 03:48:23 AM »
I got a belt for $24.00 .... twenty four dollars....

I can make a lot selling to you guys....

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 12:30:50 PM »
Vivo make a web page for selling your belts and I'll be the first to use it. ;D

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
  Vivo will your $24.00 belt fit my downtown,. if it does Ill buy it

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 04:24:09 PM »
So Wheels and Due South,

You seem to both have some decent miles on your machines, have they been pretty trouble free to this point?  I only have about 1500 miles on mine and am not worried, but kind of curious as to your experiences.

Haven't had any big problems. Speedometer got off some how, and speedometer sensor wire broke, both were easy fixes and I documented them on this site. It's been reliable.

Set up the site, I'll buy a belt. I'm to the point of stretching rubber bands together to get a belt.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 01:31:18 AM »
I believe the Super 8 belt is different... If I ship a belt to the U.S., it would still be cheaper...

around $70.00 shipping included... hmm...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:39:36 AM by Vivo »

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 01:49:29 AM »
Ouch. That seems steep for a belt. I bought a stock Bando belt for my People 250 for $37 including shipping to my house through ebay by way of Germany.

I still feel like you can't beat a real Bando belt.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 03:50:51 PM »
$37 sounds fantastic. My Kymco Bando OEM 250-300 cc belt cost me $130 in Canada from the dealer.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()