Author Topic: China Scooters?  (Read 7372 times)

ShuttleBug

• View Profile
China Scooters?
« on: July 30, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »
Are there any scooters made in china of equal or close quality to a Kymco or SYM?  Those that have owned both give your opinion.   From what I have heard and been reading on other forums there quality control has gotten alot better since 2011???   

If you were going to buy a scooter other than a Kymco what would it be?

I have only ridden 2 scooters both Kymcos a 50 2t and a people 150 both were impressive and of high quality.  :)

ginger cat

• View Profile
Re: China Scooters?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Lexmoto or pulse here in uk are cheap , they arent good but they if you are mechanically good you can maintain it properly so it can last about 3-4 years.

We got some guys at work with Pulse and Lexmoto , in 2 years they only had to change exhaust from the main things cause it fell apart due to poor metal quality that they use.

I would consider buying chinese product only if i would definite that ill ride only for a year or less not as long term transport , generally its cheaper and safer to buy Kymco/Sym or any other brand among them or higher.

I would personally buy Honda pcx or piaggio , but my mind was messed up when i was buying 1st bike so i ended up with Kymco which i regret sort of.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:00:56 PM by ginger cat »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
Other than a Kymco ?- for the price and quality it would be a SYM. If i had more $ to spend it would be a Honda.
Take a look at the SYM's, read the forums and reviews, etc.
It is another very impressive Taiwan scooter.
{Putzing around the neighborhood - as a plaything while not expecting to ride it more than a very few hundred miles - then I'd look at a Chinese scoot. My son and his buddies went together and bought a 50cc Chinese scoot  a few months ago - after 3 rides they had to order new starter parts. After a 1/2hour more of riding it quit again. Now sitting in my garage gathering dust. They got maybe 2 hours riding out of it.  I have spoken with 2 riders who have Chinese 250's --they like them, and have 2,500 & 10,000 miles on them}
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ShuttleBug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »
What brand of Chinese scooter are you talking about the bad one and the other 2 good ones.  Is there any that are proven to be better than others?  I have seen the Taotao mentioned a few times as being one of the better ones????

I agree I have heard a lot of good things about SYM, they are expensive equal to Honda in price, Kymco seems to bridge the price gap between the Chinese and Japanese scooters.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »
Please take a look at this post on Chinese scooters.

My son's scoot had no name on it, some decals in a box that they never put on.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=9420.0
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
Are there any scooters made in china of equal or close quality to a Kymco or SYM?
Lance and TomosZnen and Linhai may also be worth consideration.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »
Lance and TomosZnen and Linhai may also be worth consideration.

I would also consider CF Moto.  If you are looking for cheaper than  Kymco with some quality, you may also want to consider Hyosung - they are Korean.  None of these match Kymco or Sym quality - but they may be acceptable.  Just remember you get what you pay for and these will all lack something - build quality, reliability, safety, or dealer network.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:13:48 PM by bleys »
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 11:54:37 PM »
Some of the Kymcos are made in China now. My dealer prefers the Taiwanese models, saying he has fewer problems and notices higher quality parts.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 01:40:50 AM »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 02:47:48 AM »
hell ya there is my motofino is stell runing and my kymco is in the middle of a gy6 swap.

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 02:55:05 AM »
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

ShuttleBug

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 06:16:11 PM »
Vivo, you live in a perfect place to answer my questions, are there any quality Chinese scooters running around Luzon or Cebu or Mindanao?   Adding that hot babe picture completely made my day!   I agree I would ride that...scooter also.  ;)

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
My very first scooter I every purchased was a Jon Way scooter for about $600.00 in change. Little did I know I was in for a rude awakening. This 50cc lasted some seven months before I sold it for $400.00. It had all types of problems and it was lemon. I was happy to get rid of it. My second scooter I brought was a 50cc Roketa which was a bit better. It lasted for about 2 years until it broke down.

I could never go back to riding any Chinese scooter. The quality is horrible and many of the bikes here in Vegas are throw away bikes. Since I purchased my Kymco Agility 125cc last year, I could never go back to riding a Chinese scooter. The quality of the Kymcos are so much better. I have noticed in Vegas how everyone that rides the 50cc Chinese ones have put 80cc big bore kits in them.

My dealer told my SYM purchased the Lance brand. I would think this makes the Lance quality better since they are no longer dealing with Chinese standards, but those of the Lance company standards.

If money was no object, of course I would purchase a Vespa just for the name. Everyone knows who they are.  I would consider a Honda Silverwing, or Honda 150 scooter. Of course these bikes will last a very long time.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 01:36:00 AM »
My previous Chinese ride was a Chunlan 100cc... rode trouble free for seven years... broke a speedo cable and a carb gasket... it was engulfed by a 15 foot mud flood back in 2009... left under a tree for three years... I swapped it with a neighbor's  puppy... the new owner just cleaned it, replaced the stator, spark plug and carburetor...changed the oil.. and fired it up... still runs up to this day... with more than 50,000 miles on the odometer... I wanted to buy it back but he will not sell... ;D

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 01:49:26 AM »
My dealer told my SYM purchased the Lance brand.

That's not far from right, but actually, the company now known as Alliance Motorsports contracted with SYM to produce one scooter a few years ago, badged as the Lance Cali Classic 125. It was essentially a SYM Fiddle 125 with a different skin, and a few other changes (like the naked handlebars). After Lance severed ties with mainland Chinese manufacturers, this was the only bike they offered in the U.S. (while still a mainland Chinese product, but with SYM quality controls). Not sure what, if any changes to to Lance line-up include.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()