Author Topic: Need advice re: lowering suspension  (Read 6881 times)

gimpy

• View Profile
Need advice re: lowering suspension
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »
Last August, I had a pretty bad motorcycle accident, and now my family wants me to get rid of my scooter (did NOT happen on the scooter!!). We have come to the conclusion that riding my scooter might be better served by lowering the suspension so I can flat foot it, rather than tip toe it. This doesn't bother me nearly as much as family, but if it gets me back riding, that's what I'm going to do.

Anyway, is there any help out there about lowering kits, or how to lower the suspension even 1"? I have a Kymco People 250, 2005.
2005 kymco people 250

ShuttleBug

• View Profile
Re: Need advice re: lowering suspension
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:53:27 PM »
The shocks should have some preload adjustment that will change the height some....another thing I have done many times is cut the foam in the seat, usually they are plenty thick enough to remove a couple of inches.  Single shock bikes changing the dog bones does the trick.  Making a couple of brackets to change the angle of the shock will do the same thing.  I have removed the springs and cut an inch off a few times.  Depends on how much time energy or money you want to invest!

Ever think about getting another scoot that is lower to the ground.. ;)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:03:26 PM »
Just finished reading about lowering the seat height by removing the cover and trimming away some of the foam.
Also saw where a lady had her seat trimmed down and recovered on a new Vespa to get the ride height down for her short size.
I'm looking to increase my rear suspension by an inch - doing that with a longer rear shock because the shock sag  is too much in the rear.
Seems like you'd have to lower front and back to keep from upsetting the ride characteristics.

Could you live with a bit taken out of the seat?
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:20:31 AM »
Lowering the scooter by 1" will affect stability for using the side stand and make it harder to sit the scooter on the center stand.
So shaving the seat is easiest.

scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:53 AM »
Add blocks to your riding boots!
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:09:07 AM »
Lowering the scooter by 1" will affect stability for using the side stand and make it harder to sit the scooter on the center stand.
So shaving the seat is easiest.

scoot safely,

GOOD point Mary!
You lower the scoot you better not try walking away with the side stand down!
I have checked to make sure my raising the scoot with a longer shock will still let the center stand work. Too long a shock makes the reat tire come into contact with the ground.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 03:47:34 PM »
Are you comfortable tip-toeing or being able to flat foot one side on your People? I can flat foot on only one side with my other foot in the air on my Bet and Win 250, but I don't feel that being able to flat foot with both feet would make my riding any safer or more comfortable.

I like 08087's suggestion best if you aren't already wearing riding boots. A good pair of riding boots will add useful height as well as invaluable toe, ankle, and weather protection.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

gimpy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 08:45:22 PM »
hi all,

to answer a few questions:

*yes, most of the time i do wear riding boots, but on occasion i wear tennies
*yes, *I* am comfortable doing a tip toe, or one side lean for flat foot. it's my family who are not, and they want me on a 100% flat foot.
*no, i'm not doing blocks on my riding feet! sheesh, i'm not 100% stable on flat land, and you want me MORE unstable on a 2 wheeler  ;D
*thank you for information regarding changing the suspension and how it affects the stability of side stand or center stand- this was not something i even considered!
*mary- (i think). you mentioned working on lowering the seat by amending it. those of you who have done this, how did you do it? how hard was it? or- alternatively- did you take it somewhere for the adjustment, and how much did that cost you? did lowering the seat affect the battery compartment, or the storage space?

thanks again!
2005 kymco people 250

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:46:15 PM »
hi all,

to answer a few questions:

*no, i'm not doing blocks on my riding feet! sheesh, i'm not 100% stable on flat land, and you want me MORE unstable on a 2 wheeler  ;D
thanks again!

Come on dude, think how great you'll look doing the block thing. At least make a joke out of it, make a pair of blocks, duct tape them to your boots, show them to your family while in all your riding gear and let them see how silly they all are.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 01:57:11 AM »
Gimpy, don't listen to 080's non-sense... you need to ride in style... get something stylish like this...

no need for blocks....  ;)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »
Gimpy, Don't listen to Vivo.....!
Those Saturday Night Fever shoes will get you beat up - even at a Wendy's ! :o

And, by lowereing the seat - I think we all mean having some stuffing taken out of it. With most seats being bolted to a metal frame - don't see how you could do much about that.
Me, mr' big butt, I'm waiting on more foam to come in the mail to add to my seat!
Here's a Vespa off of ebay - the lady lowered her seat.
Looks kinda strange ....but....if it works for you.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »
Vivo those are for mods. Gimpy more of a rocker.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 01:40:29 AM »

Let's Rock and Roll!!!!

BTW, I think shocks that an inch shorter won't affect performance, it would help lowering though...

gimpy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 04:58:20 PM »
i LOVE this thread!!! you guys crack me up! esp the "kiss" boots :)

vivo- ya know, child of the 70s here... been there, done that  8)
2005 kymco people 250

gimpy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
ok and in actuality, while this WASN'T what i was searching for, it might fill a couple fantasies here:

2005 kymco people 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()