Author Topic: Painter's Blue Tape?  (Read 2196 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Painter's Blue Tape?
« on: July 31, 2013, 01:00:09 AM »
Am I the only one who puts a small strip of blue painter's tape on the edge of the headlight for night riding?
I keep a roll in my top case, put it on every morning before I head to work - take it off when I get there.
Also, discovered the tape makes a quick/cheap upper visor sun-block when the sun gets low. Have a real hard time seeing with the sun in my face. I pull over and put a strip of this tape across the top of the face sheild on my full-face helmet. Sometime 2 strips when it's really low. A lot safer than squinting into the sun..........
Painter's tape leaves nothing behind on the helmet.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tclhb

• View Profile
Re: Painter's Blue Tape?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 02:36:07 AM »
I wear a full face helmet. I find as long as I am not looking down at the dash, the lower chin/nose part of the helmet blocks the headlight so it's not a problem.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »
I put 2 strips of electrical tape to block the top of the headlight.  When I have my windshield on, the glare is really bad on the windsheild without the tape.  On my helmet, I have a tinted "mini visor" that I can slide down if the sun is in my eyes by sliding a lever on my helmet. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 03:16:20 AM »
No, you are not. After using black electrician's tape, Gorilla Duct Tape, and about everything else, I found the blue painter's tape to be the best. However, I still have enough light seeping through to make a glowing rim around my windshield that is kind of annoying, but also kind of cool. I am experimenting with making some kind of a permanent visor for the headlight. Think it would take the retro look one step further.
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

Coachz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
you guys ride this thing in the dark ?

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:07:20 PM »
I did the black tape thing and it worked perfect.  The GiVi windshield covered the glare up perfect, however, the windshield developed a crack off the upper left grommet hole so I sent it back to GiVi USA for a replacement.

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »
you guys ride this thing in the dark ?

With an HID headlight upgrade I ride in the dark now without fear.  With the stock headlight, I could only ride about 30 mph at night.  Now with the HID 35 watt upgrade, the headlight reaches out a LOT farther AND it is brighter allowing me to see the road better so riding at full throttle at night is no big deal, which last week I did.  I rode 45 miles at full throttle EARLY in the morning before the sun rose. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 01:37:47 AM »
To 91cavgt - but my problem is not being able to see from not enough light, but from too much light reflecting of the windshield and from the top of the light. Does the HID light prevent this? Thanks.
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »
We use the automotive windshield tinting material.  About 1" applied to the top of the outside of the helmet visor.
A roll costs about $15 at WalMart and you have enough for 97 years.
It stays stuck for several years..  even with cleaning of the visor.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 01:01:18 PM »
To 91cavgt - but my problem is not being able to see from not enough light, but from too much light reflecting of the windshield and from the top of the light. Does the HID light prevent this? Thanks.

No, the HID light did not fix the problem, if anything it made the problem worse because the HID light is so much brighter than the stock headlight.  I too have a windshield, but I removed it for summer riding since it blocks so much of the wind that it is just too hot to ride with the windshield in place.   I currently use black electrical tape on mine.  Since my Like is also black it blends in pretty well. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »
We use the automotive windshield tinting material.  About 1" applied to the top of the outside of the helmet visor.
A roll costs about $15 at WalMart and you have enough for 97 years.
It stays stuck for several years..  even with cleaning of the visor.

Scoot safely,

MaryK, Thanks! I have been looking for a visor  that had a little tint in the top - would work fine at night ,and be there to block low sun at those times (dawn and dusk)- your idea sounds like a winner, unless I can find a top-tinted visor for $15 ! :-)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()