Author Topic: A few questions and concerns. Dealer trust? Fair Prices? Model year?  (Read 2193 times)

keepsitreal

• Veteran Newbie
    • View Profile
     Hey KYMCO peoples, I'm new to the forum (posting anyway, lurked a bit) and have to say this is an invaluable resource that I am greatly appreciative to have come across and I look forward to talkin some scoot with y'all. I've got a few questions, concerns, a subjects I'd love to hear from y'all about. I'm new to the whole forum thing so I'll do my best to separate topics into a few posts in order to keep each one on subject. I'm open to any critique on my posts structure/organization or etiquette. O.k. let's talk.
     So I just started scootin again after roughly 7 years livin way out in the country.  Got my self a super 8 and so far I"m pretty stoked on it, considering it's government issued limitations.  I know derestriction is a widely discussed topic and I've got a good idea of what the future holds for my sexy new ride.  My questions, for this post, relate to my dealership experience and what exactly needs to be,or not be, done to maintain this killer warranty.  I'm at 192 so will be takin her to the dealership for the first tune.  I was put under the impression, by them, that they couldn't do even the 3 basic derestrictions till this point which I had no reason to believe otherwise till I was ridin her home thinkin to my self that removing restrictions isn't moding at all, and in many arguments is actually healthier for the engine.  This led me to begin dissecting my entire purchase experience.  Alright I'm gonna try and speed this up with bullet points touching on my concerns.  Thanks for baring with me.
-Dealer offered "speed kit" for 150 when asked about derestrict. Called and pried to discover this "kit" is simply the right boss, jet, and cdi wire unplug.  (so now i'm becoming suspicious of these folks to say the least) Adding to this is the fact that they've been very adamant that ANY work done by any one other than them voids my warranty.
--So any official word on whether that boss and jet is mine anyway? (comes with purchase) I'm calling Kymco in A.M.
     -$150 to switch out boss and jet! Kit my ass!
     -Should I expect a whole new carb and variator? Not just boss and jet? 
--Shop manager called boss "the slide thing" and couldn't tell me what size jet was on now or would be replaced with! Y'all know?  And wouldn't that change depending on what I do exhaust wise?
      -I just don't want to have to have it done twice. Let's just get the (82-88?) on there now. (more on this in another post aye)
--The guys seemed pretty cool at first, and I'm super loyal to people who do me right, so while we were finishing the sale I tried to get down to exactly what mods they could do without voiding the best warranty in the scooter world. (I know they're easy but I was hoping to work with the shop to really juice her up and stay covered. It became very apparent that they were motorcycle dudes and barely knew, cared or gave a butt nugget what was possible, much less legit with Kymco.
    So I guess through writing I've figured out what my actual discussion points are here.
Boss, Jet, CDI (basic derestrict  price?
Do they have to do all service/work to keep warranty?
What's cool to do without voiding coverage?

O.k. so I guess that's a big enough thread starter.  I know there's been a discussion on the "goodie bag" that usually or used to come with scoot but even after dude got it resolved others piped in saying it was no longer standard so if no one knows for sure I'll find out and drop the info on here.  Sorry bout the long dis-organized post. I've just got so much scoot on the mind, ya know.  Gonna make a couple much shorter post here so hope y'all don't get burnt out reading this.  Have good scootin!! 8)
A-Ville Scooter Mafia Original 8 '01 *Some Honda?
Rollin Krispy Kreme ten deep at 3am. '03-'05 *Stupid fast Super 9
Gang disbanded '05 due to mass Super 9 impound!
Back in town scootin round on my new Super 8 502t

Bob Ryder

• View Profile
Re: A few questions and concerns. Dealer trust? Fair Prices? Model year?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 05:24:28 PM »
Did you get a 4t or 2t super 8?

The 2t models I've seen don't have a cdi restriction.
I'm only know a little about the scooters, been trying to derestriction mine.
I have a 2t and found the exhaust to be very restricted, and the carb jet is a 78 stock from factory, and read they call for a 84 for replacement, but I've up to a 90 and still seems to want more.

keepsitreal

• Veteran Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »
It's a 2T fully stock and restricted as of now.  From what I can tell the exhaust is holding these machines back more than anything else. Some folks have had success with tweaking the stock pipe in some ways. (on this forum) If you didn't upgrade your exhaust after rejetting your not getting much of the benefits.  As far as I know they pretty much go hand in hand.  I'm kinda stuck right now cause I need my 200 mile service but still havn't decided whether or not to have the dealership do the work.  I had planned on de restricting and adding a racing carb, variator, clutch, and exhaust all at the same time but it looks like I'm better off just having them do the required maintenance  and do the rest my self.  Ya and as far as the cdi goes your right.  That's just another thing that makes me feel like these guys ain't scootin straight.  For $150 their "speed kit" includes the boss, re jet, and "CDI work."  seems like about 30 bucks worth of labor to me.  Anyway, it's great to talk to someone just getting started.  Once I get over this hump and figure out what I can do and still keep the warranty I'm goin for it.  There is a lot of great info on here.  Let's get these beauties movin!

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »
My dealer did the same thing to me. They offered to sell me a hop-up kit to make it faster.  The kit was just the boss and jet I should have been given at purchase.

I called my Kymco rep in South Carolina and she told me the boss and jet should have been under the seat with a small tool bag and manual with the delivery of my scoot. She told me to go back to the store and ask for the parts. She was going to call them later to make sure they weren't doing that again. 

I went strait to the service area and the guy gave me my parts like it happens all the time.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

keepsitreal

• Veteran Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 05:08:09 PM »
Yo Pimp1, thanks for gettin back at me on all my posts. I had seen your post regarding this scandalous shenanagry but on the same thread (OP i think) dude was sayin Kymco wouldn't tell him whether or not he was supposed to get HIS original parts, and then other dude said they don't include them anymore, referring to his friend having just bought a new ride without the parts included.  Now I feel like dude not getting the parts just means his dealer is just like the rest of them, scandalous.  ???  I'm bout to holla at Kymco but have been waiting to have all the info I can first.  So I'm guessing you called a different department/division because you got a straight answer and not the run around like the first guy.  I think my regional rep is S.C. too so I'm gonna try that.  The purpose of this thread was to determine how crooked this dealership is in order to A. get what's fairly mine B. Decide how to proceed with the rest of my scoot dealings C. Make sure they really are scammin before trashing their name all over this board and the Asheville scoot scene.  Gettin closer to the truth thanks to folks like you.  Updates as they come!  Have good scootin!

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 07:05:55 PM »
My opinion is that if the parts come in the same plastic bag with the owners manual and the tool kit it belongs to the person who buys the scooter.  The SC regional sale rep was a lady and was very nice.

Hell if you live in Asheville North Carolina you are only an hours drive from the Kymco USA headquarters.

2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

keepsitreal

• Veteran Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 08:15:09 PM »
Just got off the phone with super nice Kymco USA people.  As Pimp says the lady is very nice but I was told that the boss and jet don't always come with the scooters in the crate.  Being that they are shipped from overseas to tons of different places all with different rules there is very little consistency in which ones come with the original parts.(my guess) Or Pimp got the truth and sense then KymcoUSA policy has changed, regarding telling customers, in order to cover their dealers asses when the parts happen to not be in the crate?

I also spoke with a nice guy from the service/warranty department who, after I made it clear I wasn't gonna hold him liable for his advise, gave me some very useful info.  I was transferred to him with some warranty ?'s.  Great info Ill post in a seprate thread.  What I was able to extract in relavance to this topic was his "very off the record" opinion on the way my shop in question was handling my business. Basically I explained the rediculous quote and final OTD price being clear that I understood this was not his place but led with that to get to "so given the price I've already paid and the $150 speed kit quote do you feel like I may be better off going somewhere else from now on?"  His response was that he isn't supposed to get involved in dealer relations but if it were him he'd at least try to get them to do the first tune and boss/jet work super cheap after telling them I've become aware of their less than stand-up ways.

That's pretty much been the plan I'd be goin with.  I'm gonna tell them I know that stuff should be in there(without say KUSA said so) and that if they want my and my peoples business it would likely be worth it to do me right by changin my oil and de restricting my bike now...for um, let's go with free.

keepsitreal

• Veteran Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Dealer trust? Fair Prices? MAJOR UPDATE!!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »
Score another one for the Home Team!! ;D 8)  Through polite, knowledge backed assertion of my request to have MY PARTS returned to me I have successfully received the stock 72 jet and smooth boss from my dealership. Once the head shop guy said, in response to my request to forgo the "speed kit" installation and just take my parts to do t my self, "ya sure, I suppose we could sell them back to you." OOO, thanks for the fuel bud. "Sell them back to you" probably wasn't the best choice of words on his part. I got the major run around, (transferred to all 4 employees at some point) with everyone playing dumb and having to "check with (someone else.)" but in the end my original salesman said, "ya, looks like those parts do come with the scooter, you can come pick them up anytime." 

Right on! Now that that was done I tried to work out a deal with them where they would do my 200mi service and install my parts at a fair labor only rate rather than the "speed kit" rate.  These idiots said no, they would still charge the full $150 for the install plus $75 for the service which is literally a 5 min gear oil change and 5 min bike inspection.  Well, they nickle and dimmed their way to losing a very loyal long term customer and all my friends. 

Fight for whats yours guys.  Don't let these ass holes take advantage of you. 

Have good scootin KYMCO nation!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 12:24:31 PM by keepsitreal »

ColdSteel

• Executive Newbie
  • Wot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 06:19:05 AM »
Very well done sir! Thanks for taking the time to post this info for everyone...anyone thinking about getting a Super 8 should benefit from your experience.  Are you still in Asheville btw...awesome town!
Now:
2013 Kymco Super 8 50 2t
Then:
1900's Peugoet SV-125
1970 Vespa 50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()