Author Topic: New Scooter today.  (Read 1196 times)

ShuttleBug

• View Profile
New Scooter today.
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:22:55 PM »
New Kymco owner as of today, bought an 09 super 8 150 with 1100 miles on it. That is the good news.....question is there a link or thread on how to bypass the light controller, the lights go off and on at will not good for night time riding! 

SaltyDog

• View Profile
Re: New Scooter today.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:00:05 AM »
Congrats on the new scoot - some discussion of bypassing it can be found here:
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=8587.0

It's important to know that if you've got the US configuration, you'll need to use relays to provide power instead of the simple wire bypass to avoid blowing fuses.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:48:13 AM by SaltyDog »

ShuttleBug

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:27:39 AM »
Yes US California spec 150. Maybe it would be cheaper to just get a new controller??   Another question, which wire to cut on the cdi to eliminate the rev limiter? Thanks!

SaltyDog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 05:38:51 AM »
Unfortuneately, the light control box is that way by design, as it's supposed to work like this:

Key on, engine off:                   Lights OFF        (helps to allow all available power from the battery to go to the starter motor during starting)
Running engine idle/low RPM:  Lights DIM ON
Running engine higher RPM:    Lights FULL ON

I had a warranty exchange with Kymco because mine switches on/off occassionally even when cruising along at 20mph or so.  The new box performed exactly like the old one, and Kymco's headquarters just responded, "yeah, that's normal for this bike".   ::)

So, I decided it would be quicker if I just installed relays, while swapping out the other standard light bulbs (tail/brake/turn signal/dash) for LED lights to keep the total electrical load on the charging system low (as the headlights now stay on full-bright even during idle).  Automotive relays are usually <$10 each (you'd need 2), and are readily available from most auto parts stores or online:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P61E36/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As for the unrestricting the CDI, I don't have any experience with that, so unfortuneately I can't be of much help on that one.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:47:54 AM by SaltyDog »

ShuttleBug

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »
MSL1, did you try swapping the bulbs first?   What you did sounds like the way to go.....led bulbs here are like 10 dollars each so that is an expensive swap for all of them.

SaltyDog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:27:16 AM »
I didn't try swapping bulbs, and I don't know if the dealer tried.

As for the cost of bulbs, yeah - good point.  When I got them they were very expensive as well at ~$20 or so each at the time.  I guess if you only change the tail/stop light that gives you most bang for the buck in terms of reducing power draw while typical idling/braking. 

I changed the turn signals too since the originals hyperflashed (to which once again Kymco claims "it's normal"), and figured I'd fix that issue at the same time as reducing current draw (also requires an "LED" flasher unit if you decide to do that at ~$10 or so.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:47:39 AM by SaltyDog »

climbamt

• At Indian Summer 7
    • View Profile
    • Alpine Inspirations
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »
Congrats and Welcome!
Baltimore, MD

06 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
06 Kymco People 150