Author Topic: more speed  (Read 2443 times)

russellransome

• View Profile
more speed
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:12:05 PM »
Hi there,

My girlfriend has recently bought a 3 year old kymco Agility 50, I have this weekend done some de restricting for her but it still won't go above 33 mph, I have don't the following

smooth variator drive boss

cut the cdi wire

changed the main jet which was a 80 to an 88

Can anyone please give any advice as I was expecting it to do about 40 mph now

thanks
Russell

reg

• View Profile
Re: more speed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »
Hi, for sure after the mods you have carried out it should perform better. Is the cdi wire definately severed? i had to take a grinder to my cdi box and grind off a 45 degree slice off the end before the tiny wire was cut. About three or four years ago some a50's were turning up with a restriction on the rear clutch pulley also. If you have a small mirror its worth taking a look between the two faces of the clutch pulley. If its there its obvious as a definate ridge about three quarters of the way down the pulley face.
How many miles has it done? is the belt worn?  maybe the rollers too. Not a bad idea to change these items anyway when getting a new scoot. Add a new spark plug to that list!
l
et us know how you get on.

reg

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 01:47:10 AM »
you said you cut the wire, on kymcos you dont cut the wire you cut the cdi box its self.

reg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:46:13 AM »
Blue is dead right.

Have a look at this youtube clip

russellransome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:49:03 AM »
Thanks for your replies,

Im not 100% sure about the cdi wire as the previous owner had cut the cdi box already but not changed the boss, I cant see any wire but the cut is pretty deep so I am guessing it's gone through.

Ill defo have a look at the clutch pully and see if its got a ridge. The bike has done about 10000km but the belt looks in good condition to be honest, The dealer gave it a full service when she bought it so im hoping a new spark plug will have been fitted but ill check on that too to make sure.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:54:16 PM »
also check the muffler to see if a smaller washer got put in. most the time you wont find that on a kymco but I have seen a few that did.going to a bigger carb like a 20mm or a 19 will help a lot to.

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 12:12:44 AM »
I had an 09 agility 50, did what you did (except swapped the cdi for an unrestricted one so that I could put it back to stock if I wanted to - a few bucks to an online store) and installed some slightly heavier valve springs to cope with the higher revs.It was capable of an indicated 47, could probably have done more if I'd kept it wide open except at that speed I was starting to hear valve chatter and decided that in the absence of a rev limiter in the cdi there had better be one in my right hand :)

russellransome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 03:22:37 PM »
Afternoon everyone,

I have just checked the clutch pully and I cant find any ridges, the cdi wire is definitely cut as I can see the wire if I use a torch, The spark plug looks new but the air filter it is definitely not new as it is filthy (would this really stop it going faster though) I have also swapped back to the original main jet as it runs better with that in rather then the replacement one ???

I haven't looked for a washer in the muffler yet, don't suppose you can point me in the direction of where the washer would be if there was one.

Failing this I guess she is going to have to get used to 32mph as im lost as to what to try next.

Thanks
Russell

russellransome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:18:06 AM »
Do you think this could be causing my problem?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:20:47 PM »
ouch ya.............

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 06:50:45 AM »
Read my thread zx50 50-60 mph free modifications. Snoop through to the part about inking the variator with a sharpie pen, then skim a couple of mm from your front drive boss. You'll need a belt sander or a bench grinder. Just a couple of mills makes the front variators sit closer together. The drive belt therefore sits higher. Remember your pedal cycle? Giving it a bigger cog/sprocket on the front made it go faster ? Well, that's precisely the effect of this mod.
You'll need to take it apart a few times until you find the best boss length. A length that makes the drive belt rub ALL the ink from the inner variator. Then you know you've got top gearing. If you skim too much off and have problems, a shim washer placed behind the boss will remedy this

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()