Author Topic: Odometer, newbie, and other odds and ends.  (Read 1908 times)

McG

• View Profile
Odometer, newbie, and other odds and ends.
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »
Hi all!  I'm new here.  I did my motorcycle safety course 4 years ago and finally (today) bought a scoot!  It's a 2013 Like 200i in the blue-black.  I had planned on getting the 200i LX, but when the salesman wheeled the blue-black guy into the sun, it looked too slick to pass up.

Since I haven't been on a bike since my class, I drove around the neighborhood this afternoon--what a fun ride!  Unfortunately, toward the end of my ride, I did something stupid and looked at the ground instead of where I was driving...hello grass.  Fortunately, all it got me was a scrape on the wrist and small scrape on the front end.  Of course, it only has 5 miles on it, so I feel like a dolt. 

On that note, does anyone know if the odometer reads in miles or kilometers?  In my past researching, I swore I read that it reads in kilometers, but I'm not sure.  Frankly, I'm surprised I put 5 miles on it, so I curious to see what it reads as. 

Thanks!

tclhb

• View Profile
Re: Odometer, newbie, and other odds and ends.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:19:08 PM »
One way to check, at least around me, all major streets tend to be one mile apart. Some are a half mile sometimes.
If you are in the US, I'd say its mph. Congrats on the new scoot! Post a pic! I haven't seen that color.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:23:46 PM by tclhb »
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

McG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:30:07 PM »
Thanks!  I'm in the US.  I work about 2 miles away from my house, so I'll ride there tomorrow or Saturday and see what it shows.  Here's a pic of the new scoot.  It's hard to see the color, but in the sun it has a sparkle to it that's really cool. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »
Pretty sure our LIKE's are in miles here in the States. If not, my MPG figures are crazy!
But, after my major gaff on the tachometer readings from the little tach I recently installed on my LIKE - I went to the manual to check. It clearly states that the odometer is reading our "mileage".
So, its miles on the odometer. (I hope)
Sorry about your booboo, but glad you and the LIKE are OK. Great scooter! I think you will like it as you put on the miles.
I ride mine to work daily - rain or shine. (I've been assured by some folks who'd know, that it does fine in a monsoon. I know I had no trouble in a couple of major summer downpours!)
Thanks for the picture!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:49:19 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

McG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:53:03 AM »
Thanks!  I definitely got myself all psyched out.  I need to go back to the manual from my motorcycle safety course for my own sake.  More than anything I feel kinda dumb and am irritated that my pretty new scoot has a scratch on it!  :)  I work 2 miles from my house, so I plan on this being my daily commuter.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 01:40:47 AM »
Here's a recent photo from that great gang of LIKE owners in the Philippines.
Pretty black one like your's at pace!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 01:45:56 AM »
Looks nice! Thanks!
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

climbamt

• At Indian Summer 7
    • View Profile
    • Alpine Inspirations
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 02:00:06 AM »
Congrats on the new ride....
Baltimore, MD

06 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
06 Kymco People 150
03 Kymco People 50 2T
03 Honda Metropolitan 50 (SOLD)
11 Kymco Super 8 50 (SOLD)

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 09:08:46 PM »
If your spedometer reads mph as the dominant measurement (larger numbers), then your odometer is in miles.

I believe you guys in the States have both kph and mph on the speedo, but the mph are displayed larger on the outer ring.

In Canada we only have the kph on the speedo for the Like.
I Like you.  Do you Like me?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »
If your spedometer reads mph as the dominant measurement (larger numbers), then your odometer is in miles.

I believe you guys in the States have both kph and mph on the speedo, but the mph are displayed larger on the outer ring.

In Canada we only have the kph on the speedo for the Like.
You are correct - we have both displayed. I wondered if you Northerner's were in Km. Good to hear from you!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()