Author Topic: Dumped the scoot  (Read 4915 times)

ChefRupe

• View Profile
Dumped the scoot
« on: August 10, 2013, 04:05:49 AM »
Today sucked!
I commute about 40 miles each way over a very twisty mountain road. My little super 8 is a blast and makes my commute quite fun but today I hit a deer. At the end of a blind left turn a little doe was walking across the street. I braked and tried to avoid her but neither one of us had time to react. My front wheel grabbed her back legs, I went over the bars, and the little deer disappeared into the woods. I have great leathers so I am okay, except for an asphalt bite on my hand and some soreness, but the scoot is hurt :'(

The left side hit hard and broke the rear side fairing, right next to the under seat storage lock, shattered the front left blinker, and broke then threw the airbox mounting bolt, the one that attaches it to the gear housing. Plus tons of scrapes and scratches all over as it tumbled. I washed it up and took a solid inventory of what I need to fix but I can't find a new side fairing or blinker anywhere on the interwebs. Do you guys have any resources that can help me fix the scoot, it needs help.

ninja

• View Profile
Re: Dumped the scoot
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:16:40 AM »
Ebay has a lot of  Kymco Super8 fairing and body parts. Get on Ebay and search Kymco Super8.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:05:03 AM by ninja »
2013 Super8 150

ChefRupe

• View Profile
Dumped the scoot
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 05:49:36 PM »
I can't seem to find the external winkers that my 2012 uses, and the missing air box bolt. I have decided to try and put a fiberglass patch on the busted fairing and customize the scoot a little. I like the over the top edgy stock look but with an entire side trashed that look is gone.

ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »
Chaparral Motorsports has a complete selection of OEM parts for the Super8.
Here's the winker: OEM parts category F17( Left Front Winker Assembly part # 3345A- LHB3 - M30)

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/oem-parts-model/KYM/KL30SF%20Super8%20150%20%282011%29/yvY_WKeyeCS-3MGkaesxmw2
2013 Super8 150

ChefRupe

• View Profile
Dumped the scoot
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 11:06:06 PM »
Good find, thank you very much ninja!

ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 01:42:11 AM »
You're Welcome. Glad I could help.
2013 Super8 150

ChefRupe

• View Profile
Dumped the scoot
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 09:47:03 PM »
I fixed the snapped fairing and repainted the entire scoot!

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 09:35:16 AM »
kymcopartsonline.com is good site to find the parts... and the part numbers.  With the part numbers, you can google for best price.  All my parts have come from chapparel or Kymcopartsonline.
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

ChefRupe

• View Profile
Dumped the scoot
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 03:16:32 AM »
Kymcopartsonline does not have the external winkers that my scoot has. I found them on ninja's site though.

Also, stripping the scoot down to nothing and putting each piece back perfectly seems to have done wonders for it. She runs better then ever and my new matte black/shiny black paint job looks great. On the recommendation of many people, mostly my kids, I might put a bat symbol or two on it.     The Micro-Bat

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
The winker part on Kymcoonline is actually mislabeled.  If you find the lens on the main body that shows a bulb on the steering column, it is the winker part number... Chapparel actually has the correct picture for the part number... it was the only mistake I found so far.  It is from an original parts schematic and chapparel has the newer schematic. Searching for winker on either site produces the correct results for part numbers.

ChefRupe

• View Profile
Dumped the scoot
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 03:43:28 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. My new winker is on the way.

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 09:37:52 AM »
Have you looked at any after market winkers?  There are several different shapes and styles, some much edgier than the Kymco.

I originally looked at LED winkers in my search for LED bulbs and considered just a full replacement of the winker housing too.  I just didn't see any that "spoke" to me.  Just be warned, if you change to an LED winker, you have to add resistors (which bring the power usage back up) or replace the winker in the column with one designed for LED's.  The cost for the 4 resistors and the winker are about the same.. but the winker is plug and play and doesn't require splicing and finding a safe place to put hot resistors.

ChefRupe

• View Profile
Dumped the scoot
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 03:38:47 AM »
I have looked around a little. I may get something a little different in the future but for now the external winker will fly. I have spent a lot of time painting the scoot and a more edgy look of the signals would be rad but not yet.

Frankly the LED part is a must for all the lights. That will take time though. The only thing I'm not totally confident with when it comes to these bikes would be the electrical system.

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »
The electrical is tricky but most is easy.  I switched to LED's last winter. With the blinkers replaced, I then had to change the winker in the steering column to on one that was made for LED's.  That part was easy, plug and play but the new one does not making a clicking sound.  The bulbs in the dash were easy to switch out to LED's.. T10 bases for those, I just tried single LED's and multiple LED's in various colors. I settled on single greens for the blinker, a single blue for the high beam light and then I put a 5 LED in for the speedo and gas... much brighter dash! Tail light was a brighter LED and the license plate light was easy as well.  I then mounted extra LED's into the housing in both the front and back and tied them into the winker.  The headlights were the hard part.  Changing the headlights affects the Light Control Module (LCM) and you have to remove the metal guard inside the headlight housing to fit the new bulbs... which involves drilling and significant grasp strength to crush it smaller to pull out... you will also scratch the inside of the housing at this time too.  It also may not be completely legal because there are no street legal LED bulbs for headlights approved by the Federal Highway Safety Administration.  You will have to bypass the LCM and install diodes to maintain function of the hi/low... but the flash hi beam might be disrupted/disabled by doing that.  I am still working on finding the right diodes and will check for full function when I finish.  Do it in stages.  Start with the brake-light and/or license plate light. Then do the blinkers at the same time as the dash lights since you will have to access the dash anyways.  The headlight... good luck.. tackle that when you know what a diode is :P

ChefRupe

• View Profile
Dumped the scoot
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 12:40:43 AM »
Thanks skishades. I plan on changing out the winkers and brake lights this weekend. The LCM and the low power supply are my worries but I won't get into changing those portions yet. I don't know that stuff like I know the intake and carb and mechanical so on.
I'm also going to wet sand and clear coat the scoots new batman themed paint job. It should be fun and make the scoot even more unique, or maybe funny is a more correct term.

FYI: I know what a diode is. :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()