Author Topic: DIY seat completed~!  (Read 2380 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
DIY seat completed~!
« on: August 11, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »
OK, stop laughing - it ain't pretty but my butt is happier!
And I'm no longer doing that "adult on a tricycle" knees flaring thing when I go down the road.  I feel surprisingly more stable at speed with my knees out of the slipstream. (imagine an adult on a kid's tricycle doing 50mph - he ain't smiling) I think I'm actually sitting on or behind that pan bump which gets my knees away from the leg shield.

Built a curved back-stop for my rear near the back of the seat - no, never planned to take a passenger.
Kept adding foam and testing until the plastic seat-pan bump felt like something I could live with. That took 2 kinds of foam and 3 layers of it (3 layers ADDED to the stock seat foam - only the half-moon shaped bump was cut off the stock foam- w/electric turkey knife). Added a large curved chunk of the harder foam over the front to keep me from sliding forward at stops - when you add under butt foam you now have to raise that front bump, too. Scalloped a depression in the center area, and made sure to add more support on the outer adges of the seat so I'd stop tipping side to side, and take some of the pressure off of the center of my rear end - which was limiting  my riding to 40 mins max. Used a can and a half of 3M spray glue for foam - bought the foam on-line - 5/16 " HD staples. 1.2mm wt Classic Saddle Brown vinyl (which is 2 or 3 times heavier than the balloon material Kymco used - and why they have no pleats) And, yes the vinyl IS very tight.
Instruction info from http://diymotorcycleseat.com/tools.htm

Also hacksawed off that little thing in your left cheek. (about the size of a postage stamp)

Lessons learned:
PAY someone else to do this! (took me right at 20 hrs and I may never play the violin again)
To do this without pleats in the heavier-than-stock vinyl you're going to have to use a sewing machine and cut the cover in at least 2 pieces.
If you're trying for a pretty seat - the seat-pan bump will still be there because you didn't use enough foam.
Not sure I'd try this on my stock seat - I used one from a wrecked 50cc LIKE from eBay. (seats are the same - though bucket is different)
Nobody under 6'3" can steal this scooter - he won't be able to touch ground.
Self portrait from my 1st ride this AM. As you can see, I'm a big guy - in all directions!
(also, how many noticed the conversion I did on moving the exhaust to the left side of the scoot!)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:30:14 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: DIY seat completed~!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »
OK, the seat.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »
heels on ground - with 3 layers of foam.
(and see, the exhaust is on the other side now!)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:26:56 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CB024

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »
Looks a lot more comfortable. Good job.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 05:19:37 PM »
You could always take that seat with you to the upholstery shop if you decide to have your other seat done professionally. When they stop laughing,  : )   you could describe what you like about what you accomplished. I'm sure this will help everyone else on this forum who choose to sit in the wrong part of the seat. ; )
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »
Which of course is everyone but me. The above post is meant in a friendly fun spirit. I like all you peeps inspite of your insistence on sitting in the wrong half of the seat.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
Which of course is everyone but me. The above post is meant in a friendly fun spirit. I like all you peeps inspite of your insistence on sitting in the wrong half of the seat.

You know, I may just do that this winter, if it snows too much for me to ride. Have a shop do the stock seat.
ARE you the guy with the mutant arms that sits with his back against the top trunk? I have a 37" sleeve --- but, you, well....spooky!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
Haha!

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 07:02:40 PM »
Actually 37" sounds about right. 6'1" 210. 34" ish inseam. I think some of the reason I like sitting back there is I was used to my CBR seating position. I like a little bit of the lean forward seating position. But yeah, my lower back is about an inch or two of the trunk. The first 50 miles or so when I was siting up front I was having the low speed turning issue I have read on this forum. That is, when having to turn to near lock you have to move your knees to accomplish the turn. Sitting where I do, I don't.
It works for me. It seems I am alone in this though.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 07:59:21 PM »

It works for me. It seems I am alone in this though.
[/quote]
Yep, All alone. Me, I like to sit up straight like I'm getting ready to be served pasta!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 10:08:43 AM »
That thing is too ugly ......
Put stock seat back on.
Will call some shops to get it covered properly.
I AM sitting on the raised rear section of pan - even with compressed foam I am an inch or two higher as I ride.
Big Ugly will only be used for long week end rides until I get it covered properly.
Back on the stock seat to work today - MAN is that thing uncomfortable!
Too thin foam and plastic against your tailbone!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »
It would be nice if Kymco offered a different seat for the Like. I get jealous when I see scooters like the Buddy that have THREE (3) options for seats. I'm still waiting to get my seat redone, I was quoted $100 to get done what you did, added memory foam to the top and wrapped in marine grade leather (great deal). I sit behind the "bump" with my legs fully extended. I did a camping trip a week ago and wore my backpack and had to sit on the bump. Wish I had gotten my seat done earlier.  Good job on yours though, who cares if it looks like a sofa slip cover, if it works, it works. 

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 09:38:52 PM »
Ugly = theft deterant

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »
Ugly = theft deterant
Actually, Martha Stewart's people have already contacted me. We're thinking a whole line of retro sofas in Classic Saddle Brown Vinyl.
FYI: It's deterrent....and that stings a bit.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()