Author Topic: Top Speed  (Read 2073 times)

PeTroL42

• View Profile
Top Speed
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »
I have a question for you guys.

I have read from all over the place where people claim that their Super 8 gets up to 65 MPH.

For the people who claim a top speed of 65 MPH or somewhere close to it, is that top speed obtained on a flat level ground or are you guys going downhill when you reach those speeds?  Also, are those speeds what your speedometer indicates or is it GPS verified?

My Super 8 barely gets to 60 MPH indicated on a flat straight but that's only around 54 MPH on my GPS.  I've seen my GPS at 56 MPH once but I think that was on a slight downhill grade. 

I'm wondering if my Super 8 is a dud?

Hotcakes

• Man of many talents
  • Kevin
    • View Profile
Re: Top Speed
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:15:57 AM »
the way I look at it.. if you are getting around 55 to 58 that is pretty damned good
you bought a 150 right?
not a 250 be realistic
the fastest I have had my 150 going was  62.. street speed sign verified
and that was on a hot day with a slight breeze on my back
and truthfully you get going that fast.. it gets a little scary
you can jet out your carb, or modify it a little
but if you want to go faster.. buy a bigger bike
but 55 to 58 is pretty damned good

Kevin
Emt, Bartender, Podcaster

ginger cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 12:02:25 PM »
Is it new? mine got to 64 just about month ago in like 7 month due to all parts getting ridden in engine wise.
I was obsessed with top speed when i got mine , but now idc due to 125 arent designed to rev to the top or motorways due to high vibration and loud sound of grass cutter.
I get to 50mph with barely any engine sound - cruising , around 55mph it starts to make that grass cutter sound.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:04:46 PM by ginger cat »

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »
Ginger Cat, smart riding.  Listening to the engine "speak" will never steer you wrong.  Most speed obsessed riders end up giving downhill, wind assisted readings cause those are the fastest "legit" times they can post.   Check a Ruckus thread sometime, or any Ruckus for sale ad.  They will all list the speed and add "downhill" to it.  Even if they've swapped the engine for a bigger one.
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »
I have seen 69 MPH on the speedo on level ground.  I know my speedo reads high but don't know exactly how much. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

ginger cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »
its about 5-6 miles , mine read about 9

loganhes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »
Last year I got pulled over by a state trooper on my scooter who luckily turned out to be an old shipmate of mine from the Navy. He said that he had me clocked on his radar at 67 mph. This was on a straight flat road. I very rarely ever go that fast but I had just decided to let her rip that day. I weigh 196 lbs. +/-

--Jim
150cc Kymco Super 8

loganhes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »
also... I just thought that I would add that I once got my speedometer to reach 75 mph going down a steep hill and it wanted to go even faster. I however backed off because it got rather scary and I didn't want to blow or damage the engine. Keep in mind that this speed was NOT GPS verified so I have no real good idea how fast I was truly going. 

--Jim
150cc Kymco Super 8

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 07:05:28 PM »
You won't blow your engine, since you will hit the rev limiter. Do change your oil according to schedule to keep your engine well-lubricated and protected.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

PeTroL42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 10:59:28 PM »
Is it new? mine got to 64 just about month ago in like 7 month due to all parts getting ridden in engine wise.
I was obsessed with top speed when i got mine , but now idc due to 125 arent designed to rev to the top or motorways due to high vibration and loud sound of grass cutter.
I get to 50mph with barely any engine sound - cruising , around 55mph it starts to make that grass cutter sound.

I have close to 1600 miles on it and I'm pretty sure the engine is fully broken in.  I bought the scooter with 63 miles on it and I don't know how the previous owner rode the scooter in those 63 miles but when I got it, I followed the break-in and maintenance schedule that is in the Owner's Manual.

I'm not obsessed with the top speed but I'd like to get similar results to what I've been seeing. 

Maybe I need to ride this thing a little more to further wear-in the parts.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()