Author Topic: Super Pro Job on the LIKE SEAT~!!  (Read 1852 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Super Pro Job on the LIKE SEAT~!!
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »
Pictures from member donandrews. This is what the LIKE seat could look like - and does when put in the hands of a pro!
Don , step in here and reply with some particulars about who, how, what and maybe how much?
Thanks a bunch Don for sharing this with us....I have emailed my local motorcycle seat guy with some of your pictures.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Super Pro Job on the LIKE SEAT~!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:26:26 PM »
2nd pix
(you guys keep him busy - I'm packing my top trunk with 14 PB&J sandwiches and a map of the Great West - at 80mpg my $20 ought to be enough for the gas. it couldn't be that far from Ohio. I'm gonna steal this seat!)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:31:44 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:35:43 PM »
I called my 13 yr old daughter in to show her a picture of Don's new seat.....
She just looked at the picture of this "lovely brown scooter seat" and said ,"Dad , you need to get a puppy or something."

What?!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CB024

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 12:38:05 AM »
That is a nice looking seat!! Has to be a huge improvement over the stock setup.

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 01:50:17 AM »
Stig and I have been corresponding about my Likes' custom seat. He posted a photo for me on the Forum. I couldn't figure out how to make them small enough to post. If there is an easy way to do it, I would be happy to do so. Below is the e-mail that I sent to Stig along with the pix.
The rebuild cost me $200 and took about 2 1/2 hours. Worth every penny!

"1. Rebuilt the ridge out of Memory Foam and moved it back about 2 1/2 inches. I was mainly concerned about leg room. I can now slide forward when stopping (front of seat is a bit lower) or back for a change of position. Plus, the ridge is now kind of "stop" that I can press against at higher speeds. I feel more secure and in control with the extended arms and something to push my butt against.  It's amazing what difference that 2 1/2 inches makes!

2. Also allows for more arm extension. Arms and hands are more relaxed and do not tire as quickly. I did 85 miles non stop Sunday without any discomfort or tingling. For some reason, it's easier to roll the throttle using more of the fingers and a looser hand grip while still maintaining control. Did the miles in a tad over 2 hours over a route through the hills that have many indicated 25 mph curves. Scoot just hums at 55 - 60 mph!

3. Replaced seat cover with a higher quality and thicker naugahyde. Don recommended matching the original color. We considered red, white, black, and alligator, but they all looked pretty tacky. He also recommended no piping because it wears faster than the material, tends to come loose, and may create uncomfortable pressure points. It also just didn't look right against the clean lines of the scoot.

4. He could not lower the seat as much as I would have liked because of the plastic "base" or whatever it's called that is the foundation for the seat.However, I don't have problems with sliding around on the seat while riding. I stay put unless I make a conscious effort to move.

5. And finally - notice there are no pleats. He meticulously measured, cut, and sewed each piece so that it fits perfectly. To a scoot lover, it is a work of art.

Don's shop is small and very friendly. His work stand is out in the open and I could sit less that 15 feet away and watch the whole process while he explained and showed me what he was doing and why. His wife has an incredible store in the front of the building with about anything you could want in accessories and clothing. Don is an avid biker, commuting to work year round on his big (about 1200cc, I think) Beemer. He knows what it's all about.

If you haven't already done so, check out his website at mredsmoto.com. He has great pix and a link to his Youtube video.

I realize that I probably sound like a paid commercial. Not true. I have met Don just 2 times for a total of about 3 hours - when I went in to first talk with him and about a week later when he did the work. It just that he is such an incredible craftsman (artist?) at what he does and can make such a difference for anyone on two wheels. Anyone that rides can benefit from his work."
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:11:37 AM »
Many thanks again for posting!  Great work and your post was very helpful. 

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:53:30 AM »
lol I think Stig's daughter may be on to something.

:)
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

oskuk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »
lol I think Stig's daughter may be on to something.

:)

One big thumb here to that!
But: I do not need a puppy, I have 4 cats allready! ;-D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()