Author Topic: Can you I D this scooter ??  (Read 3734 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Can you I D this scooter ??
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:52:54 PM »
Saw this scooter or one very much like it on the way home today. Black and white livery.  "Berini Milano" is the pictured scooter.
Could not catch the rider.
Is there something like this in the USA? Is it Chinese?
He was moving pretty good which makes me think it was more than a 50cc.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Can you I D this scooter ??
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »
Is there something like this in the USA? Is it Chinese?
May have been a Puma (Znen).

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:41:51 PM »
Stig,
That looks very much like a Lance Cali Classic 125. There are actually quite a few of them around the Boise area - selling very well up here. Here's a link:
http://lancepowersports.com/models/cali125.html
My wife has the closely-related Havana Classic 125. Great scooter for a very good price.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:59:11 PM »
That's no Cali Classic.

As stated above its one of the many "joker" clones out there. Znen , BMS, twist n go, Motorino... And many more. There are hundreds of these chineese retro scoots out there.

Pick one and have it dropped shipped for about $1000.00. Then put some time in on the PDI and you may or may not end up with a decent city scooter.

Only for those who enjoy twisting wrenches, these require work to keep them going.
That said I have almost 5000 mi on a clone "scan-am". As long as I keep a close eye on every nut bolt and screw she runs great.

Just the opposite of my Kymco and Lance.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 01:33:12 AM »
Yup! Honda Joker clones...  ;D

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:59:43 AM »
Yes, Honda Joker clone.  Look them up.  It was a great scooter that Honda, in its never changing wisdom, decided to drop.  There are still big Joker clubs around the world.  I have a Cali Classic 125 (don't worry, it's in addition to my Kymco S250) with 3000+ miles on it. It's a little longer than most of the Joker clones.   Runs great, keeps up with 150's, paint and trim still looking good after two years.  Taiwan scoot, not Chinese.  It's my go-to scoot for errands.  With bags I can pack $90 dollars of groceries on it. 
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:54 AM »
Yes, Honda Joker clone.  Look them up.  It was a great scooter that Honda, in its never changing wisdom, decided to drop.  There are still big Joker clubs around the world.  I have a Cali Classic 125 (don't worry, it's in addition to my Kymco S250) with 3000+ miles on it. It's a little longer than most of the Joker clones.   Runs great, keeps up with 150's, paint and trim still looking good after two years.  Taiwan scoot, not Chinese.  It's my go-to scoot for errands.  With bags I can pack $90 dollars of groceries on it.

You have good taste in scooters my friend!

The Joker "style" has been very popular and as you say honda dropped it before it ever got here. With the right price Honda would be laughing at the other big bike makers over market share.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 04:55:46 AM »
The Joker "style" has been very popular and as you say honda dropped it before it ever got here. With the right price Honda would be laughing at the other big bike makers over market share.

They're still Hondas underneath all the confusion.  Honda licenses the designs to various makers, and many parts are interchangeable.  For example Honda Elite 150 & Chinese Joker 150 clones have a lot of interchangeable parts including the engines, carburetors, transmissions, gears

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 05:32:20 AM »
They're still Hondas underneath all the confusion.  Honda licenses the designs to various makers, and many parts are interchangeable.  For example Honda Elite 150 & Chinese Joker 150 clones have a lot of interchangeable parts including the engines, carburetors, transmissions, gears

They don't have licenses of the designs... Chinese factories just copy... but they change the design a little bit so that Honda cannot sue...

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:07:37 AM »
They don't have licenses of the designs... Chinese factories just copy... but they change the design a little bit so that Honda cannot sue...
No, they're exact licensed copies.  Same with Honda Keihin carbs. The parts are interchangeable, right through to the variator & gears.  I have a Honda Dio variator in my 4-stroke Kymco Sento, for example.  And a Kymco 2-stroke BBK in my Honda Dio.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 09:18:51 AM »
No, they're exact licensed copies.  Same with Honda Keihin carbs. The parts are interchangeable, right through to the variator & gears.  I have a Honda Dio variator in my 4-stroke Kymco Sento, for example.  And a Kymco 2-stroke BBK in my Honda Dio.

Yes, the legit Chinese factories have licenses... I'm talking about the other Chinese clones/factories... and there are lots of them in China.. mostly backyard operations... I've been dealing with these Chinese for more than 10 years and I've seen clones being cloned and these cloned clones being cloned again...

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 11:46:04 AM »

Most of the clones out there are not exact "Licensed" copies. To be licensed would to say Honda knows about and received payment for these for these motors. They don't.

Yes some of the GY6 parts from Honda will fit these scooters but they have nothing to do with Honda. It has everything to do with chinas disregard for proprietary items.

not all the "clones" are created equal.

Znen for example will build to the buyers spec. Some roll out of the factory with better carbs, varriators etc and some come out as the budget priced crap. Both look the same and came from the same factory.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 03:03:41 PM »
If it was fast it may have been a malaguti yesterday.

My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
No, they're exact licensed copies.     
"doubtful unless theyre paying 30% of their profit to Honda corp."

Same with Honda Keihin carbs.       
"Honda does not own Keihin and once you realize it youll know that its possible the Chinese buy the same carb."

The parts are interchangeable, right through to the variator & gears.     

"Wrong again, try putting chinese gears from a gy6 onto a GET ruckus or metro engine, or a Honda AF16e and youll be finding out they absolutely do not fit, just like the kymco zx50 sc10a engine compared to the Honda AF16e, which is as close to a licensed copy of a honda engine, but NONE of the final gearing is swappable."

I have a Honda Dio variator in my 4-stroke Kymco Sento, for example.  And a Kymco 2-stroke BBK in my Honda Dio.         

"So far this is the only thing youve said thats anywhere near right, fortunately theres only so many cast sizes that are correct for balance etc on cranks and they mostly use 14 or 17mm shafts so you can in fact use ANY variator from a 49cc GY6 and use it on a 4 or 2 stroke that utilizes the same diameter shaft. This however does not prove they are licensed copies but mere engineering agreements on the variator swaps. Also further more if you have changed out variators youll also know that they are not the same when it comes to lengths of drive bosses between engines, rather it be 4 or 2 strokes. When it comes to cylinder swaps of course they work, Kymco has licensing to build replicas of the AF16e cylinder and carter castings and has since the 80s when they built for Honda. Kymco is not the same as the chinese companies who change minor things and call it their own, Kymco pays for licenses and has been for decades, same with their Minarelli designs and into the bigger 150,250 etc."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 03:17:49 PM by LoveMyKymco »
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »
You can tell a lot of the clone Jokers are not licensed.  The wheelbases alone will vary up to 8".   From really long to very tiny.  Different seat sizes and handlebar configurations also.  GY6 engines and some that seem like lawn mower engines.   The Cali is made by SYM and has a real smooth running ceramic coated engine that has decent pickup until 45mph.  The last 10mpg takes a little time. 
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()